Author Topic: When NGC or PGCS grades a gold panda,do they always treat the coin to remove PVC  (Read 513 times)

Offline Human

• Trade Count: (0)
I am not a fan of the PVC packaging. When I purchase a gold panda grades by PCGS or NGC, does that guarantee they have cleaned the coin to remove PVC residue on the surface? Can’t PVC continue to damage the coin even after being removed from the plastic packaging? So in order to guarantee no future degradation of the coin it must be properly treated correct?

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
NGC, NCS or PCGS do not provide any guarantee against future environmental damage.  Also, there is no guarantee that they even cleaned the coin unless you do a before and after and notice a difference.  My experience with gold is about <10% of NGC coin tone over time, while >70% PCGS tone over time.  Also, keep in mind almost all PVC damage that does develop on gold can be cured in the future, so don't worry too much about it especially if it is in an NGC holder.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
I am not a fan of the PVC packaging. When I purchase a gold panda grades by PCGS or NGC, does that guarantee they have cleaned the coin to remove PVC residue on the surface? Can’t PVC continue to damage the coin even after being removed from the plastic packaging? So in order to guarantee no future degradation of the coin it must be properly treated correct?

NGC does not conserve coins. They will take any PVC (or other) damage into account as they grade submissions. If you want PVC residue removed then send the coin to NCS. After NCS is finished with conservation, the coin will be graded by NGC. I have no idea of the PCGS procedure for this.

As Arif says, the grading companies do not guaranty against future changes to a a coin's condition.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
NGC Consultant
China Pricepedia — Chinese Coin Prices and More
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+12)
    • Coin Armour

Coins may be conserved by NCS if you submit directly to them or NGC contacts you that a coin can benefit from conservation.  However there is no treatment that a grading company can or will apply to protect the coin in the future.  That is up to you to properly store your coins after they are graded.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
Coins may be conserved by NCS if you submit directly to them or NGC contacts you that a coin can benefit from conservation.  However there is no treatment that a grading company can or will apply to protect the coin in the future.  That is up to you to properly store your coins after they are graded.

Anyone who is concerned about how to store and preserve coins should take a look at the Coin Armour supplies that Chris sells.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
NGC Consultant
www.pandacollector.com

Offline RalphL

• New
Anyone who is concerned about how to store and preserve coins should take a look at the Coin Armour supplies that Chris sells.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
NGC Consultant
www.pandacollector.com
Hi, I am new here and a bit new to coin collecting. Who is Chris? Please post a link. I am not a robot and there are math questions to post lol.  Thanks, Ralph

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
Hi, I am new here and a bit new to coin collecting. Who is Chris? Please post a link. I am not a robot and there are math questions to post lol.  Thanks, Ralph

Ralph,

Welcome! 1668Chris posted the message just above mine. You can message or email him through this forum.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
NGC Consultant
www.pandacollector.com

Offline RalphL

• New
Ralph,

Welcome! 1668Chris posted the message just above mine. You can message or email him through this forum.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
NGC Consultant
www.pandacollector.com
Thanks for the welcome, Peter.  I currently have my coins in Lighthouse grande albums. Mostly what I have been collecting is coins in NGC graded holder.  I will check with Chris. Thanks, Ralph