Author Topic: Chinese Coins: Take Your Best Shot  (Read 3437 times)

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
Re: Chinese Coins: Take Your Best Shot
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2019, 04:47:25 PM »
Reflector cards and other devices at higher angles can complement low-angle lights to provide fill lighting and control contrast. It is not an all, or nothing choice, but a decision must be made about what the main light source will be. The Berlin medal is a challenge to photograph as there is lots of contrast from the three metals, each with its own color and reflectivity. There is  toning on the matte copper area, while the brass has a polished proof surface that can easily drop off to pure black and hide its texture. The texture of the panda's fur can easily be lost, too. Lots of fun with lighting here.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
NGC Consultant
China Pricepedia — Chinese Coin Prices and More
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com
I looked at your photo in detail and discussed it with some buddies interested in coin photography. It is from the hands of a master photographer. With a low angle main light source, lighting in the photo is still pretty even, with no loss of details. The black spots around the mouth, the nose, eyes and ears are represented to the point. I have saved the photo for future reference.

On the other hand, while most new hands tend to use low angle lighting, few of them would mitigate against the resulting loss of details by placing high angle reflectors. They don't have the equipment for the purpose either. That's why I would encourage starters to use high angle lighting in coin photography. This way at least details on the coin face is well represented.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Re: Chinese Coins: Take Your Best Shot
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2019, 10:28:44 PM »
I looked at your photo in detail and discussed it with some buddies interested in coin photography. It is from the hands of a master photographer. With a low angle main light source, lighting in the photo is still pretty even, with no loss of details. The black spots around the mouth, the nose, eyes and ears are represented to the point. I have saved the photo for future reference.

On the other hand, while most new hands tend to use low angle lighting, few of them would mitigate against the resulting loss of details by placing high angle reflectors. They don't have the equipment for the purpose either. That's why I would encourage starters to use high angle lighting in coin photography. This way at least details on the coin face is well represented.

The real credit goes to the artists, designers and engravers in China who give us so many beautiful coins and medals to photograph. For me, the purpose of a coin photo is to try to convey the spirit and message of these artists. Whatever lighting setup – high angle, low angle, sideways, upside down – accomplishes this is good.  A difficult coin/medal may require a couple of hours of trial and error before the results are acceptable. For a long time I felt rather embarrassed that it often takes me so long to arrive at a solution, but one of the artists in China told me that the official photographer doesn't work any faster. So, don't feel bad if setting up takes a while and just try to learn from the inevitable mistakes.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
NGC Consultant
China Pricepedia — Chinese Coin Prices and More
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com