Author Topic: Hello from Wuxi, China  (Read 816 times)

Offline EconBrony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
Hello from Wuxi, China
« on: November 19, 2018, 07:58:55 AM »
Howdy all!

I am new Chinese coin collector, but I am not new to numismatics. Been collecting American coins for quite some time. Since moving to China though, I have taken up collecting Chinese coins. I have to say, it is a far more complex field than American coinage even when you don't consider Chinese coins older than the 1800s. A lot of the designs have captivated me.

I look forward to chatting and learning with you all!

Sincerely,

EconBrony

Offline Agpanda

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
    • agpandas
Re: Hello from Wuxi, China
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 08:56:38 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum

Offline aupanda

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 01:26:15 PM »
If you ever get to visit the Lugong market in Shanghai it should be a very fun experience

Offline EconBrony

• New
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 09:12:41 AM »
I will be checking out Lugong Market this coming January. Shanghai is a 40 minutes train ride for me. Thanks for the recommendation

Offline aupanda

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 11:31:42 PM »
I found that Chinese markets such as Lugong have tons of common coins in display cases, as well as a ton of large newer gold and silver coins. However, older, rarer and things that are in demand are generally more scarce. It was nice talking to some people specializing in vintage silver dollars when I went there. If you have things to sell, people will be really interested to see what you have, and might take you to other vendors if you don’t reach a deal with the first person you talk to.

Offline EconBrony

• New
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 02:16:42 AM »
Went to Lugong yesterday, I was quite impressed with how many dealers were there. It was mainly modern coins for the most part, but their were a few dealers carrying some older stuff. Most of it was quite common as you suggested. I did buy my first silver Panda there and my wife found a nice 2013 silver and gold year of the snake set she really liked.

I did look at buying some coins from the early 1900s, but their asking prices were way high compared to what I'm use to seeing where I live.