Author Topic: Is now a good time to buy key coins???  (Read 535 times)

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
Is now a good time to buy key coins???
« on: September 17, 2018, 03:09:06 PM »
After reading a post by Arif stating we are in a bear market...I began to wonder about current pricing and is now the time to start loading up on key coins? 

I just checked YJZX and two recent sales of 1998 1/2 large dates in MS69 sold for 42,000 yuan and 44,000 yuan or about $6500 at current f/x rates.  This seems pretty reasonable from a historical perspective as I cannot recall when the last time these coins were this cheap.  1995 seems like a good candidate as well but it must be at the right price.  Not sure about semi-key i.e., 1994 or 1996. 

The problem is short of trying to buy on YJZX almost all sellers on ebay won't let their coins go for that price...regardless of how much you try and convince them how overpriced they are. 

Anyone have any thoughts.

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Is now a good time to buy key coins???
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 03:33:09 PM »
Theoretically, if those key gold pandas were a commodity that is easily available for purchase (vs buying them across borders), I believe the answer is NO. They will go lower in price than we ever thought possible. The economic carnage has just started in developing markets and that will bring down everything priced against the dollar.

However, with their seemingly limited availability, I think it is always an opportune time to pick up the key coins from motivated sellers. It will take a lot of time and lots of patience. The upper hand now is for buyers with US dollars.

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 04:17:31 PM »
Interestingly I offered Xuhong current price for a coin and the response was he would rather not sell at that price and would hold for better market.  I have seen this response before from him. 

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 01:16:44 AM »
During bear markets strong hands buy invisibly and put coins away, the only challenge is the volume is low.  Strongs hands don't care if prices are down next month because they are in it for the long game.  There will come a day when prices will rise again and rise rapidly because market will be controlled by the strongest players, whether that happens in month, year or years nobody knows.

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 12:35:39 AM »
On the topic of key and semi-key data coins . . .

1985 Silver Panda NGC PF69UC

What would you pay for this coin in the current market, and what is it worth?

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 11:40:07 AM »
At the Stack's auction in Kowloon in early August, four 1985 silver proof pandas were offered in NGC PF69UC holders.  The buyer paid $1200, $1100, $1150 & $1150 (plus 20% commission) for these coins.  All were purchased by the same buyer.  Do these sales clearly represent the market in early August?  [I did not look back in the room to determine who the successful bidder was for these coins.]  Does the willingness of one buyer to purchase these four coins for a given amount on a given day determine market value?  I think not.  Of course, this position questions whether the price guides are an accurate determination of present value since they are based upon publicly recorded sales in auctions or internet transactions.

Mark Bonke

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 02:57:17 PM »
Thanks for this info, Bonke!