Author Topic: Buying Chinese modern coins  (Read 905 times)

Offline quetzalkoala

• Trade Count: (0)
Buying Chinese modern coins
« on: July 13, 2018, 04:08:55 AM »
My name is Emiliano and I am a collector of world coins living in Italy.

I would like to purchase some modern Chinese coins (circulating commemoratives).

Here is some example of the coins I need:

1 Yuan 1987 Gymnastics
1 Yuan 1987 Football
1 Yuan 1987 Volleyball
1 Yuan 1988 People's Bank
1 Yuan 2003 Year of the Goat
1 Yuan 2009 Harmony
1 Yuan 2009 Environmental Protection
1 Yuan 2010 Expo Shanghai
5 Yuan 2004 Lighthouse
5 Yuan 2006 Longmen
5 Yuan 2011 Communist Party of China
5 Yuan 2013 Peace
10 Yuan 2015 Space
10 Yuan 2015 Year of the Goat
10 Yuan 2018 Year of the Dog

This is just an example: I need many more Chinese coins of the same category.
If someone has something for sale at fair prices please contact me.

Offline aragog

Re: Buying Chinese modern coins
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 04:29:10 PM »
Hi I might have some of them, but I do not actual prices for them, have only book from 2011.

Online ccl

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Chinese Coins Live, LLC.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 07:56:57 PM »
Give me a couple of coins you need prices for and I'll help you out

Offline quetzalkoala

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 11:30:34 PM »
Thank you to those who replied.
Prices, as always, is a "flexible" topic.
I have seen most of these coins on eBay being sold or offered for prices ranging from €1 to €5.
Some examples:

1 Yuan   ---- €0,99/€2,50
5 Yuan   ---- €1,50/€2,99
10 Yuan  ---- €2,50/€3,00

These are the prices that I am seeing.
All of these coins were sold by European sellers. I know that the same coins in China are a lot cheaper (I have bough many in the past but now the seller has moved to Russia and I need another realiable supplier).
Many of them are also available on several other websites, but it's hard to find a single seller that has many of them, so the postage cost would be a problem if I had to buy 1-2 coins from different sellers. My goal is to buy at least 40 or 50 coins from the same person to minimize the postage expense. I can accept multiples (more than one piece of the same type).
So, if any of you have several of these coins, I wait for your prices. Thank you. :)

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 01:13:30 AM »
Going to be difficult to locate the following 1 Yuan coins for €0,99/€2,50 each.

1 Yuan 1987 Gymnastics
1 Yuan 1987 Football
1 Yuan 1987 Volleyball
1 Yuan 1988 People's Bank

Offline quetzalkoala

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 01:22:11 AM »
Yes, those are a bit harder to find.
But most of the others are quite common and cheap.
I opened this topic hoping someone would reply saying "I have this, this and this, and these are my prices".
But until now nobody seems wiling to talk openly about prices and it almost looks like a "cat and mouse" game where I am supposed to say how much I am ready to pay. I think it should be the other way around: if somebody has some of the coins I need, please tell me your prices and I will see if that is convenient for me to buy or not to buy.
But I will not lose hope and I will wait until somebody will make me an offer with clear prices.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 05:19:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Usually, for circulated BU coins,  1 Yuan coin is the most expensive and much higher than 5 Yuan coin. 10 Yuan coin has the lowest value, usually about the face value, since the mintage of 10 Yuan coin is in the range of 100-500 millions.

Here is the link to the valuation of circulated BU coin in original bank roll condition posted at coin001.com inside China.

http://www.coin001.com/read.php?tid=150199

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 05:47:47 PM »

But until now nobody seems wiling to talk openly about prices and it almost looks like a "cat and mouse" game where I am supposed to say how much I am ready to pay.

If your offering price is extremely low ball, nobody would bother to reply. If you go to a Toyota dealership and say, "I want to buy a new Corolla for $200", would anyone take you seriously? The 40 Years Anniversary of Bank of China coin is worth around $400. You are offering €0,99/€2,50.  :ohmy:

Offline quetzalkoala

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 02:04:54 AM »
If your offering price is extremely low ball, nobody would bother to reply. If you go to a Toyota dealership and say, "I want to buy a new Corolla for $200", would anyone take you seriously? The 40 Years Anniversary of Bank of China coin is worth around $400. You are offering €0,99/€2,50.  :ohmy:

Well, I didn't actually offer any price for any specific coin.
I have just listed a random bunch of modern Chinese coins and I quoted some prices of some of those coins being offered on eBay and other platforms. I never said that all the coins I listed were sold on eBay for those prices. I specified those were just examples and of course there are some specific coins that have high prices, like the one you mentioned. But this does not mean that I think all Chinese coins have those prices. It's just that I know for sure that several of them have the prices that I quoted (I have bought some). Maybe my poor English skills made me sound not clear enough, but my point - in short - was: I know some of these coins can be bought for about those prices. Anyone here has any of them for sale?

P.S.: Just 3-4 days ago I have bought and received in my hands a lovely roll of copper 5 Yuan 2017 "Peace" for the equivalent of about 1,20 euro each coin (yes, one euro and twenty cents for one coin). And the same German dealer told me that he had just sold out other coins of the same type (copper 5 Yuan) for the same price. This prompted me to look for those coins here.

Offline quetzalkoala

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 02:08:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Usually, for circulated BU coins,  1 Yuan coin is the most expensive and much higher than 5 Yuan coin. 10 Yuan coin has the lowest value, usually about the face value, since the mintage of 10 Yuan coin is in the range of 100-500 millions.

Here is the link to the valuation of circulated BU coin in original bank roll condition posted at coin001.com inside China.

http://www.coin001.com/read.php?tid=150199

Thank you, Poconopenn. :)
This is a very useful bit of information. I was starting to lose my hopes.
I reall appreciate your help.
The page is all in Chinese and unfortunately I can't understand anything, but maybe I can find some friend able to translate it for me.

Thank you again.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 03:26:31 PM »
Well, I didn't actually offer any price for any specific coin.
I have just listed a random bunch of modern Chinese coins and I quoted some prices of some of those coins being offered on eBay and other platforms. I never said that all the coins I listed were sold on eBay for those prices. I specified those were just examples and of course there are some specific coins that have high prices, like the one you mentioned. But this does not mean that I think all Chinese coins have those prices. It's just that I know for sure that several of them have the prices that I quoted (I have bought some). Maybe my poor English skills made me sound not clear enough, but my point - in short - was: I know some of these coins can be bought for about those prices. Anyone here has any of them for sale?

P.S.: Just 3-4 days ago I have bought and received in my hands a lovely roll of copper 5 Yuan 2017 "Peace" for the equivalent of about 1,20 euro each coin (yes, one euro and twenty cents for one coin). And the same German dealer told me that he had just sold out other coins of the same type (copper 5 Yuan) for the same price. This prompted me to look for those coins here.

There are many fake 1 Yuan circulated BU coins in the market (eBay). Be very careful if the seller is not creditable. Nobody will sell you 1 Yuan coin in BU condition (pre-2000) at the price you have asked for, unless it is a fake coin.

All circulated coins issued after 2016 are still available at Bank inside China and can be bought at face value. Your seller of 2017 5 Yuan coin actually has made a nice profit.

Offline quetzalkoala

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 12:56:57 AM »
There are many fake 1 Yuan circulated BU coins in the market (eBay). Be very careful if the seller is not creditable. Nobody will sell you 1 Yuan coin in BU condition (pre-2000) at the price you have asked for, unless it is a fake coin.

All circulated coins issued after 2016 are still available at Bank inside China and can be bought at face value. Your seller of 2017 5 Yuan coin actually has made a nice profit.

Dear Poconopenn, thank you for your helpful information.
Yes, I know the Chinese coins of every period are among the most counterfeited in the entire globe. This is why it is so complicated to deal with them, from my point of view. Another problem is the language: the only resources I found are in Chinese only, with no English translation. I also tried to navigate the People's Bank website looking for a section where I could buy the coins for face value or close to face value, but I could not find any. I tried to write an enquiry to their general info service, some weeks ago, but never got any answer.
Maybe the only way to purchase the coins from the Bank is going there physically? Or maybe you know if there is an office that I can contact and order some recent issues to be shipped to my address in Italy?

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 08:42:03 PM »
Just for your information. The following auctions will be ended in about 12 hours.

http://www.coin001.com/hack.php?H_name=bigauction&action=detail&aid=2057&skip=1 (1988 1 Yuan bank, NGC MS68)

http://www.coin001.com/hack.php?H_name=bigauction&skip=1&action=detail&aid=2059 (1988 1 Yuan Bank, 5 raw coins)

http://www.coin001.com/hack.php?H_name=bigauction&action=detail&aid=2343&skip=1 (1987 3 X 1 Jiao, 6th National games set, NGC MS66)

http://www.coin001.com/hack.php?H_name=bigauction&action=detail&aid=1954&skip=1 (1987 3 x 1 Jiao, 6th National Games set, NGC MS66)

http://www.coin001.com/hack.php?H_name=bigauction&action=detail&aid=2120&skip=1 (1987 1 Jiao, Volleyball, 6th national Games, NGC MS69)

Average grade for original bank roll is about MS65.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 11:09:50 PM »
A MS69 on the Volleyball.  That is a high grade for these type of coins.  Be interesting to see the final sold price.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 12:06:40 AM »
A MS69 on the Volleyball.  That is a high grade for these type of coins.  Be interesting to see the final sold price.

Yes, all high grade circulated coins are rare and very expensive.

Here is another example, the valuation of 1995 1 Yuan proof (50th Anniversary of defecting Japan, with mintage of 2,000), PCGS PR69 DCAM is higher than 1995 1/2 oz. gold panda in MS69.

http://www.coin001.com/hack.php?H_name=bigauction&skip=1&action=detail&aid=2182