Author Topic: Who wins at eBay rebates and other incentive?  (Read 444 times)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Who wins at eBay rebates and other incentive?
« on: July 05, 2018, 12:33:29 PM »
Just a mild enquiry. It is always good when an eBay rebate becomes available. Yes, you earned it but who is the real winner here, ultimately? So also with other incentives.

Are there caveats or words of advice and experience to guide all?

Thanks for contributions and Best wishes.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Who wins at eBay rebates and other incentive?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 09:29:53 PM »
As a collector, I used to peruse the listings for modern Chinese coins and medals on Ebay.  Periodically, I would receive Ebay Bucks and use them to purchase Chinese stamps.  As a member of this coin forum, I have read so many stories about counterfeit items on Ebay.  I have stopped looking at the Ebay listings and have stopped receiving the Ebay Bucks.  This has hurt my stamp collection, but has protected me from many mistakes.

Ebay sends me emails with promotional discounts and I push the "delete" button.  A discount permitting me to purchase gold below spot does not help me when the item may or may not be made of gold.

Mark Bonke

Offline Pandaguy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 11:19:52 PM »
As a collector, I used to peruse the listings for modern Chinese coins and medals on Ebay.  Periodically, I would receive Ebay Bucks and use them to purchase Chinese stamps.  As a member of this coin forum, I have read so many stories about counterfeit items on Ebay.  I have stopped looking at the Ebay listings and have stopped receiving the Ebay Bucks.  This has hurt my stamp collection, but has protected me from many mistakes.

Ebay sends me emails with promotional discounts and I push the "delete" button.  A discount permitting me to purchase gold below spot does not help me when the item may or may not be made of gold.

Mark Bonke

What you mentioned is true. However, you are protected from counterfeits via Ebay/Paypal. The only problem is that sometimes you have to wait and jump through hoops to get your refund due to scammers. It is truly a shame, however, ebay still represents one of the easiest and safest methods to purchase MCC, mainly due to their worldwide platform and guarantees.

Offline eric

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 03:15:41 AM »
As a buyer I like the ebay bucks. The amount they reward has gone down over time, but it's still a nice bonus. I usually use it to buy a coin that costs less than my ebay bucks so it's like a free bonus. I also take advantage of the promos when they send them out. Last month they sent me a 10% promo, which maxed out at $100 of bucks. So I bought a 1oz MS70 gold panda for $1400, and got rewarded $100 which kind of made it like buying it for melt value (gold was $1300 at the time, back down now). The tip for earning bucks on gold and silver coins is they cannot be listed in the bullion category, which thankfully most MCC sellers do not, because they're selling them more as collector items than as bullion. Also buying certified coins helps avoid the fakes.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 07:09:03 AM »
My ebay bucks reward was last $14.    I applied it to a Vintage coin and the balance came out of my account.    See more demand for Vintage on ebay and more private bidders or Chinese bidders.
I hear the usual complaints from some collectors that Empire silvers are graded fakes and too many were struck, etc.    Even the Color silver lunars were considered common until collectors told their opinions.       NGC, PCGS or even ANACS are fairly safe.    Yes they make mistakes but correct those errors in time.      OMP is off the board now unless seller is well known.    Ebay bucks is good incentive....

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 10:49:51 AM »
EBay is the winner bc they have convinced you, once again, to utilize their marketplace to spend your hard earned income.

I exclusively buy during 8% or 10% eBay Bucks incentive periods. Less so now than in recent years.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 11:00:39 AM »
The 4%, 6%, 8%, 10% "coupon" duration is getting shorter and shorter.  The last one, couple of weeks ago, was valid for 24 or 48 hours only. 

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 07:22:32 PM »
The way I think about it is that if you are buying on eBay just to get the rebates then cost/benefit considerations come into play. If however you usually shop on eBay the bonus points almost accrue passively in which case it truly feels like free money when you use it. Those points also tend to blunt the pain of some purchases!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!