Author Topic: Odd Asian Piece  (Read 643 times)

Offline Mr-Panda

• Trade Count: (0)
Odd Asian Piece
« on: June 20, 2018, 12:27:10 AM »

Hey Everyone, it's been a while since I've last posted.  I ran into this item in some foreign paper money boxes.  Anyone know what this might be or be able to translate some of the symbols?  There is a stamp on the back stating that this was a "Authorized Souvenir - Examined in Field."  Any help identifying this, it's origin, translation, dating, etc. will be greatly appreciated.  This folds out into four 'pages'.

The total size is 16.5" x 6.65"

Thank You.

Offline TomG

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Odd Asian Piece
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 08:48:32 PM »
An authorized souvenir means that the exported object that the document accompanied is allowed to legally pass through Chinese exit customs. Without such a document certain antiquities are unable to leave Chinese territory.

http://english.customs.gov.cn/Statics/88707c1e-aa4e-40ca-a968-bdbdbb565e4f.html

Offline Clark Smith

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • See our coins at www.coinvault.com
    • Clark Smith
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 01:18:38 PM »
This is Japanese.   It's kind of like a bank book where somebody deposited money into the post office bank (military savings).  The other side has a record of the deposits into the account:  50 yen, 15 yen, 15 yen.

The English language stamp might be the US military allowing somebody to bring it home to the USA as a souvenir.

It seems the 80 yen deposited wasn't take out.  I think you can collect 80 years of interest!   You are rich.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 01:50:10 PM »
Yes, this is a Japanese military post office (Osaka, Japan) saving account book. The three deposits were dated 1919. IMO, this is a collectible item and it is in a good condition, may have some valuation.

Offline Clark Smith

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • See our coins at www.coinvault.com
    • Clark Smith
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 02:56:07 PM »
dated 1944 (Showa year 19)

Unless Japan had airplanes in their military in 1919 (as shown in the graphics)

I wonder if the guy who deposited the money died in the war and never took out his money.....