Author Topic: Who designed the Temple of Heaven on most panda coins?  (Read 706 times)

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Who designed the Temple of Heaven on most panda coins?
« on: June 15, 2018, 09:16:11 PM »
Who designed the Temple of Heaven we see on most panda coins?      Have asked this question a few times but no answer.   Any guesses?     The only rumor i hear is that Feng Yunming designed it.     Any opinions?.......

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
Re: Who designed the Temple of Heaven on most panda coins?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 06:03:26 PM »
I was told Chen Jian designed the 1982 gold panda and reverse Temple of Heaven.    Cheng Chao designed the 2018 gold/silver pandas and reverse Temple of Heaven.     Many other artists that designed the panda coins for a certain year(s)  also designed the Temple of Heaven on the reverse.   

However, there is a dealer in China that has Feng Yunming's diary and Feng did design a Temple of Heaven medal.     That info is being researched.    Any new info will be posted..... 

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 11:50:05 AM »
Who designed the Temple of Heaven we see on most panda coins?      Have asked this question a few times but no answer.   Any guesses?     The only rumor i hear is that Feng Yunming designed it.     Any opinions?.......

Sun Qiling was the first.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia — Chinese Coin Prices and More
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 04:28:12 PM »
Judging from the wording and the design/style of the wording, this Temple of Heaven medal might be the work of Feng Yunming: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/-/382528164829?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

I don't think he designed the official mint's Temple of Heaven because he never worked for the mints, although the mints' design may have been based on his.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 07:29:27 AM »
Pandacollector;   I will put Sun Qiling in my notes...

Fwang;   I was planning to post on this medal in your ebay link.     Since your translation blog of Feng Yunming and semi official medals 2013, i have seen 2 of these on ebay in 5 yrs.     This medal is mentioned in Feng's diary.    Because he is a early artist the Temple of Heaven design could be based on Feng's design.    His archaeological set was the first too that i know of and it is popular today.     He could have been the first for a few other designs too.     IF he is ever interviewed, and has paperwork to back it, then his works could have had a big impact on many MCC.    At this point he is unappreciated and unknown....

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 08:21:54 AM »
For what it is worth, here is a example of a tourist medal in photos...

I think many collectors confuse early Feng medals as tourist medals.     Like Fwang and others say the design and wording can separate Feng from Tourist Medals...

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 08:27:09 AM »
Oops, here are photos of tourist medal...     I have limited knowledge so i think it is a tourist medal...

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 01:14:01 PM »
Feng's early medals were meant as tourist medals. In his diary, he mentioned that a few government tourist agencies commissioned such medals from him. Even some official mint brass medals hugely popular now were tourist medals, such as Shanghai Scenery and Auspicious Lantern (pictures below). They come with a little card indicating they were tourist medals. But, of course tourist medals from the masters have different values than those made by some unknown artists.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 01:30:02 PM »
In fact these "tourist medals" were passed by collectors outside China, which led to some cherry picking by those who know their value. Such medals are found mostly outside China because they were too expensive for the average Chinese in the early 1980's.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 07:44:13 AM »
OK, that makes sense.     Now i understand why there is so much confusion w/ early year tourist medals......

Offline wg

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 09:26:00 AM »
In fact these "tourist medals" were passed by collectors outside China, which led to some cherry picking by those who know their value. Such medals are found mostly outside China because they were too expensive for the average Chinese in the early 1980's.

China Medaillensatz Tourist Commemorative Medal - Shanghai Mint

195 euro

https://www.ebay.de/itm/-/142891852950?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 11:47:31 AM »
That was a huge cherry picked by some lucky guy!

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 12:22:21 PM »
China Medaillensatz Tourist Commemorative Medal - Shanghai Mint

195 euro

https://www.ebay.de/itm/-/142891852950?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

Just talked to my brass medal buddies back in China. The cherry was picked by one of them.