Author Topic: How many Brass (non plated) Pagoda and Goldfish Sets Minted??  (Read 442 times)

Offline EOSDAWN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
Does anyone out there conclusively know the mintages of solid brass Pagoda and goldfish sets that were released in 1984? Are they rarer than the 90% silver sets? How many have been graded so far?   :blink:

Offline greenmile358

• New
Re: How many Brass (non plated) Pagoda and Goldfish Sets Minted??
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:19:48 PM »
There were both original strikes and restrikes of the 1984 unplated brass pagodas and goldfish, but I don't think anyone (not on this forum, at least) knows the exact mintages for sure. The user fwang2450 is knowledgeable about the brass goldfish and pagodas; perhaps he can give some rough idea of their mintages.

At the current time, the NGC census shows more rarity for 1984 brass goldfish and pagodas compared with the solid 1984 silver ones.

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 12:39:27 AM »
I have to say to me these original 1984 brass versions of Pagoda and Goldfish are something special: the luster and eye appeal are stunning and are the coins in my collection I enjoy viewing the most, under magnification and quality lighting to appreciate the intricate detail.  There is something about the brass that gives a richness and luster that plays with the light which surpasses even that of the silver versions, which are certainly beautiful too.

Perhaps not many brass sets were made, or not much attention was paid to these sets upon release, and maybe they have fallen into obscurity or lost to mishandling (or worse).

Yes, fwang2450 has been most helpful in sharing his information:

http://modern-chinese-numismatic-info.blogspot.com/2013/09/mr-feng-jingjings-work-on-goldfish.html

( disclosure : yes, I own these sets and am definitely biased. If I could own only a couple MCC, these brass ones would be at the top of my list.)
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 08:13:21 AM »
Dumb question, but how can you tell the original strike from the restrikes? Thanks!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 01:54:58 PM »
 Answer is here for the goldfish.

http://modern-chinese-numismatic-info.blogspot.com/2013/09/mr-feng-jingjings-work-on-goldfish.html

(Absence of defects).

For Temple (pagoda) medals,  same: absence of defects.

Also the originals have a deeper richer coloring.
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 07:24:01 PM »
The original strike brass pagodas and goldfish are very rare. According to Feng Jingjing, the number of original strike pagodas is in single digits. He did not give his estimate on the original strike brass goldfish, but I myself have seen only one set, sold by himself. On the other hand, even the 1984 silver goldfish set pop up on the market now and then.

The restrikes of each type have their own characteristics. Such characteristics are discussed in the link by Hippanda (my post) and in this thread: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=5564.0

Offline EOSDAWN

• New
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 09:56:26 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys. The 1984 silver and brass goldfish would have to be my favourite Chinese medals and very interesting learning about the different strikes etc. I think these may one day be very valuable, it seems there are even less brass examples than silver ones huh! :001_tt1: