Author Topic: Videos of Fake Panda Coins - What do you think?  (Read 1236 times)

Online pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Videos of Fake Panda Coins - What do you think?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 07:17:16 AM »
How much is it to buy a XRF Gun?......   Is that the best way to determine real silver/gold?.....

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 01:21:53 PM »
My thoughts are more in line with poconopenn's. Counterfeiters won't invest as much in technology, equipment or other resources as government mints. Or probably they would go bankrupt. So their products will be inferior one way or another. So far the fakes I have run into in modern Chinese coins, including circulating coins and precious metal coins, are readily detectable in high magnification photos. A collector with some basic knowledge of coin striking can detect this eBay listing as a fake because of its obvious weak strike: https://www.ebay.com/itm/China-1980-5-Fen-coin-UNC/302699214021?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649. It is unlikely that the counterfeiter did not notice this problem, but this is the best he could achieve with his limited means, with the hope to fool some new hands.

I have yet to see the kind of legendary fakes feared by old Chinese coin collectors surfacing in modern Chinese coins. With this in mind, I would say that exposing the existing fakes with their characteristics will be helpful to new collectors.

Offline PandaOrLunar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 05:02:22 PM »
I'm on my fence about "hoarding/not disclosing" vs. sharing knowledge that can help.  Help in term of the "good" and "bad" out there.  Remind me of the "Is it better for 100 guilty men to go free than one innocent man go to prison?"

Still conflicted.