Author Topic: Conservation for Rare Tarnished Panda Coins - whats your opinion?  (Read 653 times)

Offline bullionblog.eu

• Trade Count: (0)
Back in Germany, a collector found a hoard of rare Panda silver bullion coins for 60 euros each - including the rare years 1984 and 1985 as well as the rare proof Pandas from the Nineties.

The coins will be sent in for conservation. What is your opinion? Will those coins benefit from NCS? I created a video with English subtitles for my international numismatic friends: https://youtu.be/8j68xTmUYvo

Would be happy about your thoughts and opinions :-)

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Re: Conservation for Rare Tarnished Panda Coins - whats your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 04:04:16 PM »
First of all it was a good video. I hope you will do another one when the coins come back where you compare the before and after condition of the coins.

Although I can see the white spots in some coins the predominant finding is that of toning. There is haze in some but only a very detailed view can quantify the degree of surface changes.

NCS will definitely improve the surface features of the coins but the degree could vary from coin to coin. Specifically, conservation will most likely get rid of the toning and some of the haze but the white spots are likely to remain, although some could become less prominent.

Please share the final grades too.

Good luck.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 06:42:46 PM »
That is about $74 USD each!     The buyer should be arrested for theft.    Wish i could have been the buyer.   I had a 1984 PF 65 silver pagoda that was conserved and it is now a PF 69.    Not all will go up that high but conservation is very very good....

Offline tater

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 10:35:49 PM »
Wow I would have loved to have stumbled onto those at a billion shop. The two rainbow colored ones might be worth not conserving.  Some US collectors could pay more if they are bright rainbows.

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 11:51:39 PM »
Wow I would have loved to have stumbled onto those at a billion shop. The two rainbow colored ones might be worth not conserving.  Some US collectors could pay more if they are bright rainbows.

Paradoxically, (US) panda coin collectors don’t seem to like toned PANDA coins!

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 12:15:12 AM »

Agreed. There is good chance that NCS examiner may not recommend to do the conservation. Usually, the removal of rainbow tone will lower the grade.

Offline tater

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 12:51:37 AM »
Usually that darker band in the case if the ones in the video that lowest band is so dark they consider it terminal.  I think they are worried if they remove it the luster can be damaged.

Offline bullionblog.eu

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 04:06:02 AM »
Hi guys. Thank you so much for your replies. I have the impression that this rainbow style tone is not much appreciated in Germany, and I doubt that the toning is actually genuine. I tried one other coin with a similar toning and carefully applied and electrolysis (salt bath) and the toning was completely removed. But for these coins, we will let NCS do their magic :) I will definitely let you guys know the results in about two months !!! Thanks again, this form of communication is a great pleasure for me.

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 04:16:47 PM »
I took the liberty of placing a link to your video on another forum page

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=11734.msg83768;topicseen#msg83768