Author Topic: New Panda Commemoratives for the 2018 Singapore International Coin Fair  (Read 4308 times)

Offline PandaWill

• Trade Count: (0)
hey guys,

We will be selling Panda commemoratives for the SICF and thought you might like to see the designs.  The commemoratives will be available at the show from March 23rd-25th.

There is going to be a 1 oz Gold with a mintage of 50, as well as a 1 oz Silver and a Tri-Metal both with mintages of 500 each.  They all will come with numbered certificates of authenticity, and they have the S mintmark from Shanghai Mint.  There will also be pieforts made with a mintage of 100, but I do not have info on those just yet and cannot presell those.

If anyone here is interested, feel free to call the office and ask for me; I'll offer you a nice discount if you mention you saw this post.  Delivery will be early April.
Thanks!

Will
Panda America
800-472-6327 x230

Offline collectingcoins

It has been awhile since chiming in, but when I saw info on show Pandas, I couldn't resist.  Is this a well known conference?  Meaning, do these show pandas do well over the long-term?  It looks like a relatively new coin show?  These pieces look beautiful.  I especially like the gold one.  Am I reading that right?  Mintage 50?  Are these popular pieces?  You would think that 50 medals would sell out quickly, and yet they're still for sale?  There aren't 50 people that can make this a sellout in days if not minutes? Are the current market conditions that bad?  I've been quietly collecting coins over the last few months. I'm on the fence about buying one of the gold pieces.   

Offline Jens

There aren't 50 people that can make this a sellout in days if not minutes?
50 might seem rare but on the other hand 2500 USD for one ounce of gold isn't exactly a bargain.
I don't know if there are really that many collectors of gold panda medals, there are plenty of medals in cheaper materials to collect like the lunar pandas, nanjing pandas, garden pandas etc.
Those might have higher mintages but some did sell out pretty quick.

Offline panda

• Trade Count: (+2)
Any discount for COA#44 of the gold medal?

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Is this a well known conference?  ...  It looks like a relatively new coin show?  These pieces look beautiful. 

My recollection is that the first year was 2012. Here is photo from the 2012 Singapore show:

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

Offline collectingcoins

I may be missing something, but Jens you reference pieces like Nanjing, garden, lunar - pandas.  What are these?  I've not see these posted under any shows?  Maybe I'm missing something, not sure.  Are they private issued?  Do you have any pictures or details?  Info on what show they were displayed?  Sorry for the stupid questions.  I have seen some medals from china that are issued or sponsored privately, not apart of any show or conference.  I'm not interested in these. I have a limited understanding, but isn't there a big difference between panda medals that are officially sponsored by the conference vs a person creating something on their own?  It would appear that one has a 'story', a history or a memory behind it, and the other does not (it's just something a private individual thought would be a good idea?).  Any insights you can share I'm sure will be helpful to me and others. 

Thank you for the clarification Peter. I'm closer to making a decision to purchase the 1 oz gold piece. It's a beautiful piece, and I like the fact that there are only 50 available. I'll call Will on Monday.

Why would there be a discount for a 44 COA?  If so, I'll take 4. :-))

Offline zerox

• New
Please do report back after you call Will on Monday. Interested in how much discount one gets by calling Will. Thanks.

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
44 is an unlucky number to Chinese because the Mandarin word for 4 sounds like the word for death, I believe. It is considered very unlucky.

Offline Jens

I may be missing something, but Jens you reference pieces like Nanjing, garden, lunar - pandas.  What are these?  I've not see these posted under any shows? 

Sorry for the confusion, those aren't show medals.
Here are pictures (i hope it works) of one of the Lunar Panda series (Shenyang mint) and one of the Nanjing Pandas (Nanjing mint). Those are from official mints, i think the garden pandas are from a private mint if i remember correctly but i don't have any of those. Both are privately sponsored series which of course isn't everyone's cup of tea, especially with the recent inflationary release of privately sponsored medals.

Offline collectingcoins

Thanks for posting the pictures Jens.  And for sharing the info. Very helpful. I’m personally not too keen on private issued medals simply because anyone with an idea, connections and some money can create a series.  And any time there is a lot of something coming to market it cheapens the otherwise valuable rarity of the others? I’ll stick with coin show medals because I know there is a story, history and an ‘official’ approval process to get selected. I’m sure politics and money come into play too. Thanks again for sharing the beautiful pictures. Beautiful art work for sure.

Xerox and Mirk, thanks for the input.  I’ll let you know if I get a discount. I’m not holding my breath. And I’ll take pictures when I get it.

Offline collectingcoins

Re: New Panda Commemoratives for the 2018 Singapore International Coin Fair
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 07:26:21 AM »
Hi Will.  How did the show go?  Popular?  Any pictures?  How were the sales of the Panda medals?  I'm a bit surprised that that gold pieces haven't sold out yet - with a mintage of a mere 50?  Perhaps this is a bit of a picture of the state of the market?   Or perhaps a snapshot of the interest of show medals?  Any info you or anyone can share about the Singapore conference would be great.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 10:59:52 AM »
I'm a bit surprised that that gold pieces haven't sold out yet - with a mintage of a mere 50?  Perhaps this is a bit of a picture of the state of the market?

Sometimes the issue is the supply and not the demand.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia  — Chinese Coin Prices and More
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Seng_84

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 12:40:43 PM »
I was at the Singapore show and the show medals was not so well received.

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 09:13:02 PM »
Sometimes the issue is the supply and not the demand.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia  — Chinese Coin Prices and More
www.pandacollector.com

So true!

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 09:29:01 PM »
I was at the Singapore show and the show medals was not so well received.

How was the show?  Well attended?  Popular?  Were there any coins or medals that were popular?  Or has the world of crytos taken over?