Author Topic: New Panda Commemoratives for the 2018 Singapore International Coin Fair  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Seng_84

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: New Panda Commemoratives for the 2018 Singapore International Coin Fair
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2018, 11:53:52 PM »
Very true I also buy what I like but unfortunately what I like is not what other people like . I was often wondering which panda year between 2011 to 2018 would be a hit in the long term?

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2018, 12:12:41 AM »
Buy what you like? I used to subscribe to that point of view until I became wiser: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=13768.msg81843#msg81843
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline aupanda

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2018, 12:22:42 AM »
Compared to other segments that have done well in recent years such as cash coins and vintage silver, it’s fair to say that the panda segment has more investors involved, and less aspects that attract actual collectors such as different provinces and mints, toning and patina etc. However this is an inherent problems and I don’t have solutions to solve them

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2018, 12:28:19 AM »
Very true I also buy what I like but unfortunately what I like is not what other people like . I was often wondering which panda year between 2011 to 2018 would be a hit in the long term?

There are many who believe that the post-2010 panda coins are bullion due to their large mintages. However, the early year (pre-2010) panda coins were also regarded initially as bullion until events changed that characterization for many of them. I therefore suspect that some of the newer age releases you referenced may acquire numismatic premium in future. If anyone knows which particular one they won’t tell!

A serial collector is likely to hit some pleasant surprises in future!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2018, 07:17:26 AM »
As usual i think all Chinese coins/medals will have significant value sometime in the future.      The experts told me some time ago that the low mint, new issue medals are considered baubles/trinkets.     Too many of them to keep track of.     I was told to focus on early issue.    Peter's valentine heart pandas are a bit different (not a show panda) and great design so i recommend them.    We could be in the time frame for gold to break out, if so expect gold pandas and other gold MCC to see more demand on ebay.      I track 1/20 oz gold Chinese for myself & collector friends.    A few months ago there was a average of 1,000 listings.   It fell to about 300 and now is about 500 listings on ebay......

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2018, 08:14:38 AM »
Here is a example of a early year, rare silver medal that sold same day as listed...  very rare to see on ebay...   A OMP sold last yr for about $900 plus but under $1,000....

1980 PF 67 36mm  Shou Xing Longevity   $695  by Chen Jian....         Ebay 152963976690...

Ebay photos of recent sale PF 67 and OMP that sold last yr.    Congrats to buyers of both...

Clark and another ebayer sold a PF 69 each for about $2,000 to $2,500 a few years ago if i remember correctly...

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2018, 09:39:29 AM »
Thanks for posting these pictures @pandamonium. I was tempted to buy it, but when I asked the seller about it, he said someone already nabbed it. Maybe you are right about the early year medals versus the new issues? Did the 69 really sell for 2k? I don't have the newer pieces - not interested. As someone said, there are too many, and it is downright overwhelming to know which ones to choose. A quick search of these private medals over the last couple days shows: expo pandas, garden pandas, nanjing pandas (2 types), temple pandas, treasure pandas, lunar panda (3 types), Trigo pandas...to name a few. And some have 6 - 8 types. Now that is downright overwhelming. Plus when I looked at the Garden Pandas it appears everyone is selling and no one is buying, what gives? Granted there are some beautiful art work on these private issue pandas. However, keeping the investment part of the equation in mind, I'm doubtful if any of these will appreciate in value over the longer-term? This is the main reason I've stayed with early year BU pandas (silver and gold) and mostly early year show medals (not so much modern show medals).

@keepontrying I read your thread about 'buy what you like'. Thank you for sharing your insights. Very helpful and wise words for sure.

Offline Seng_84

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2018, 10:30:15 AM »
@pandamonium thanks for the nice medal pictures ,  Chen Jian is the designer of earlier years panda.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2018, 07:18:12 AM »
Seng_84,  can you post which pandas Chen Jian designed?      Who designed the Temple of Heaven on reverse?..........

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2018, 07:52:13 AM »
Another early year   1981-92 Lunar silver set  OMP  box    bidding at $4,600 today w/ 1 day left    Ebay 152961687332     I know nothing about this set but it must be rare and popular....

Goldmoney   "The Yuan-oil future & gold".         Makes sense, the clock is ticking for us in the West.....

Offline Seng_84

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2018, 09:26:06 AM »
Pandamonium, i know up He design panda from 1982 to 1984 panda. He won  award for his 1983 panda. Temple of heaven is an iconic place in Beijing, but I do not know why they choose it instead of other iconic place.

Offline UniqueCoins

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2018, 05:01:51 PM »
Another early year   1981-92 Lunar silver set  OMP  box    bidding at $4,600 today w/ 1 day left    Ebay 152961687332     I know nothing about this set but it must be rare and popular....

Yes the set is very popular, but its the official set with Yuan denomation, not medals.

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2018, 07:52:35 PM »
Hi Golden Lord. I also feel that rare coins have much greater potential for price appreciation than medals that may be just as rare. Although, I do wonder what the pricing gains will be for older medals like the one above and others from the Hong Kong, Berlin, ANA shows, and the early year gods from the 80’s? I don’t believe the modern private sponsored medals (private/official mints) will do much in the medium to longer term time horizon. They will be forgotten?

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2018, 08:26:55 PM »
Yes the set is very popular, but its the official set with Yuan denomation, not medals.

Nice pricing for a painstakingly collected set. Kudos to the owner!
Thanks @pandamonium for bringing this to our attention.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2018, 09:18:33 PM »
All MCC listed by this seller of 15gm silver lunar set (first series of silver lunar set) are rare. I have not seen 1980 piedfort 1 Yuan Olympic copper 8-coin set listed at eBay for many years.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/goldeneyes2016/m.html?item=162967995453&hash=item25f1a6443d%3Ag%3APAsAAOSw4ltaupo1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Disclosure: I do not know this seller and have never done any business with this seller.