Author Topic: New Panda Commemoratives for the 2018 Singapore International Coin Fair  (Read 3305 times)

Offline Seng_84

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: New Panda Commemoratives for the 2018 Singapore International Coin Fair
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 10:14:14 AM »
Yes it was well attended considering the market and the number of years it is in . 4th series rmb is hot.  I was looking for some good gold panda but they are rare.

Offline aupanda

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 05:54:01 PM »
I know the market boomed within minutes of them announcing the planned demonetization of the 4th series banknotes, dealers have waited for a long time

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 07:23:43 PM »
A question that I am becoming to feel to be important is how well are these show medals (and other medals for that matter) being received inside China? Is the average Chinese coin collector interested in these medals, especially those that are developed for overseas sales or are based on oversea themed shows?

My casual perusal of the results of a recent coin auction did not reveal sales of much of what we have out here: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=14184.msg83630#msg83630

Does that mean that there are coins and medals that are more Chinese than others? Do we have access to them out here? Are we being fed with quasi Chinese coinage?

I don’t mean to offend but I am surprised at how different the emphasis seems to be in China. I must confess that I haven’t been paying much attention to these mainland Chinese auctions. Perhaps it is time for me to do so, because they may provide better insight on what the collection pattern is inside China and not what is beginning to look like a make believe China wannabe oversea collection program.

Or is a two-tier MCC system okay?
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline aupanda

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 08:44:26 PM »
To be brutally honest I don't know too many keen panda collectors who truly care about the coins in China, bullion investors, speculators and master set owners seem more prevalent unfortunately

Offline collectingcoins

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 09:23:51 PM »
There seems to be some bright spots within certain sectors like gold pandas, but generally speaking it appears that most others are not faring too well. Maybe the Cryptos are taking center stage, and for the time being, they are unseating gold and silver collectibles - coins and show medals. From what little I know about the private sponsored series, that market seems to be dead (for the moment?). I'm curious to see what happens at Anaheim, Long Beach, and other important shows, where additional Pandas are introduced. It's a bit unsettling to invest in a show panda like the Singapore 1 oz gold, knowing they can't even sell 50 of them. Thankfully I have a long-term horizon. Thanks for sharing the details. 

Offline aupanda

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 09:32:41 PM »
I would think that anything that does not belong in a master set is definitely more risky than those that do. The master set market and the mass collector base are different things. The Panda sector currently do not enjoy the same collector enthusiasm of some other sectors, but the master set market could be driven by banks and commodity prices.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 10:42:08 PM »
It's a bit unsettling to invest in a show panda like the Singapore 1 oz gold, knowing they can't even sell 50 of them. 

Just a wild guess, but maybe there weren't 50 to sell? Maybe there weren't 40 to sell. Maybe there weren't 30 to sell. Maybe there weren't....just guessing.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia  — Chinese Coin Prices and More
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Seng_84

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 01:04:29 AM »
I think there are too many show pandas and commemorative pandas for collectors to follow and some of them are selling at a high premium. These may be a long term play

Offline aupanda

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 01:24:37 AM »
In my personal opinion they might be more risky than your average key or semi-key 1/2 gold panda needed for master sets

Offline Seng_84

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 02:10:22 AM »
I feel demand for master sets are not as strong as one or two years ago

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 09:35:01 AM »
You don't have to be a master of divination to figure that one out. Prices for gold pandas are low across the board. Gold panda halves have dropped significantly, and that's the barometer.

Offline aupanda

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2018, 09:49:39 AM »
Wonder what will bring demand back. Gold price spike? Hopefully the Chinese economy doesn’t slow down to the point the rich no longer want master sets

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2018, 01:08:42 PM »
Interest in MCC that is based less on making a killing in the transpacific (or even within country) coin trade and more on a genuine fondness of the hobby is an option. I have never believed that the Master set phenomenon has staying power. Just like other "engineered phenomena" it is likely to be transient. Furthermore, it should not be allowed to continue to define/dominate (at least a segment of) MCC collection. Just me thinking loudly!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline collectingcoins

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2018, 09:38:52 PM »
I wonder if the sheer number of coins and medals produced from all the mints around the world has flooded the market with too many choices that people decide to stick with the basics?  I know I can get overwhelmed by all the themes, series, and different style of coins that it paralyzes me from making a decision on what to buy. There are so many options available that I wonder if it is over saturation. The Panda themes/series are so varied that I some times wonder if I've made a mistake buying them.  I've read many times, buy what you like - and I do. However, I also buy with a hope for future price appreciation. There are no guarantees, but perhaps we can look to the past for future predictions.  It's not similar but it does rhyme. 

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 11:44:16 PM »
If you are looking to buy with future price appreciation in mind, then certainly don't buy a Panda medal for two or three times melt value. They've proven to be a bad investment since 2011