Author Topic: Display of copper coins and medals  (Read 593 times)

Offline Tannenberg

• Trade Count: (0)
Display of copper coins and medals
« on: February 28, 2018, 07:20:48 PM »
If one wanted to display large copper medals, is there a way to alter the surface of the medal so it does not tarnish, while at the same time maintaining its value?

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Display of copper coins and medals
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 07:32:55 PM »
Submit them to NGC for authentication, grading and encapsulation.  This encapsulation will help, but not guarantee, the surfaces will not discolor over time.  The expense is significant for large medals and coins.  I carefully consider this cost when deciding whether to purchase items for my collection.

Mark Bonke

Offline Tannenberg

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 07:59:00 PM »
Does your response mean you don't think there's any safe way to display copper coins and medals without encapsulation?

Offline bonke

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 08:16:30 PM »
No.  I am giving my personal opinion based upon my prior experience.  I have ruined numerous coins and medals by handling them inappropriately or by exposing them to the polluted and sometimes humid air in which I live.

Other collectors or dealers are able to own, handle and display their coins or medals without causing damage. 

I have attended numerous coin shows where coins and medals are displayed in glass display cases.  One side of the coins and medals is easy to see.  The other side is hidden from view.  Sometimes these coins and medals are in plastic or cardboard flips so that I may request to see them and actually see the other side.  Some plastic flips are made of PVC and cause longterm problems.  Some cardboard flips are enclosed with staples and may potentially cause scratches to other coins or medals.

I remember the time when i wanted to look at a very small gold panda coin.  I took it outside on my deck for better lighting.  A wind gust caught the coin and it dropped from my hand onto a metal table.  The coin rolled along the top of the table's surface and dropped through a hole onto the deck.  Then, the coin rolled along the deck until it feel through a crack and dropped into a bed of river rock.  I ran around my house and started searching.  After a while, I found my little gold coin (with noticeable flaws).  I sold it for the gold content.  Hopefully, this lets you know a little more about me and a little more about why I am a strong supporter of the submission of coins and medals to NGC.

Mark Bonke 

Offline Tannenberg

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 08:40:51 PM »
Thanks.  What I had in mind is the notion that there is some kind of spray that would coat a copper medal so it could be displayed without any encapsulation or other barriers without tarnishing.

Offline bonke

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 10:09:04 PM »
In the past, people have coated coins with clear enamel to protect the surfaces from discoloration.  This has successfully protected the coins from oxidation and contaminants.  In my opinion, it also seriously impacts the value of the coins.  As a collector, I do not consider this to be a viable way in which to protect coins or medals.

Mark Bonke

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 07:58:12 AM »
Hopefully i am not too far off topic but these photos are of one of my favorite gilt copper medals.    Still in decent condition..
Bank of Agriculture, Liaoyin Mint (some say semi official mint)    Big gilt God of Longevity.   Seller says he has seen one in the last 5 yrs.    Maybe not much value today but let this market mature.....

Offline bonke

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 10:32:42 AM »
Pandamonium

You own many, many medals and have owned them for a considerable period of time.  My impression is that you do not submit them for encapsulation.  What do you suggest for someone who wishes to display their medals without the risk of discoloration or other environmental damage?  [Back on Topic]  Plastic flips?  Cardboard flips?  Hard plastic rounds?  Hard plastic rounds within soft plastic?  Clear enamel paint? 

Mark Bonke

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 06:07:12 PM »
I know little of how to take care of coins/medals so i read sites to learn.     Seems hard caps keep them in best condition.    Someday will send them all in for grading.....

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 08:49:35 AM »
Copper is more reactive than gold and silver. Therefore it gets oxidized faster than others with surface discoloration. Some mints have tried to mitigate this problem by gilding the surface of copper coins. On the basis of theoretical considerations it will make sense to store copper coins in air proof (probably never 100% impermeable unless in glass) coins slabs and canisters. It may be further advantageous to enclose the slabs in Intercept bags and/or boxes to mop up certain air pollutants. Only the future will confirm how reliable these measures are in everyday practice.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 08:05:29 AM »
I know this may sound taboo but i really like some of the gilt copper Chinese due to beauty and low price.   Those in top condition like the big God in photos are awesome.    Gilt copper/brass are considered by many as bottom of the barrel but when MCC supply runs out they too could have value.    Buy what you like......

Offline Tannenberg

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 11:38:58 AM »
Pandamonium:  I agree.  Large copper medals can be quite beautiful; hence my question about whether there might be some way to display these medals without having to encapsulate them.  Seems as if folks here are not aware of any way to do so without jeopardizing the coin's surface.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 01:15:23 PM »
Capital Plastics Inc. makes special display  holder for customer. You can contact the company to find out the minimum quantity requirement to make special holder for large copper medal.

http://capitalplastics.com/Products.htm

Offline Tannenberg

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 01:36:59 PM »
Thanks much.