Author Topic: World Money Fair 2018 Berlin - Impressions  (Read 1444 times)

Offline UniqueCoins

• Trade Count: (+6)
World Money Fair 2018 Berlin - Impressions
« on: February 11, 2018, 04:30:19 PM »
Hi,

just want tell you my impressions from the WMF Berlin 2018.
The WMF 2018 is the biggest coin show in the world. The are 300 exhibitors and more than 15.000 visitor each year on three days.
The show have 9000 square meter place for coins. The most spoken language is English at the show.

I stayed with my family at the Estrel Hotel for 4 nights. The WMF is hosted at the Estrel Hotel. It have four stars and is Germans biggest hotel with 1.125 rooms. This are nearly all booked out the fair. But its not very cheap, for a normal familyroom we have paid each day 180 Euros + 20 Euros for the parking spot. One thing, the beds are not very comfortable for us.
But if you look outside there are too 5 stars hotels that are much cheaper during the fair.

On Thursday we have visited the Berlin Zoo (20.000 animals) and have looked to the new Pandas. Germany have since last year again two new Pandas.
The names are Jiao Quing and Meng Meng. The building coasts for the new enclosure amounted to 9 Million euros.
On the Picture you will see Jiao Quing.

At the evening there was the yearly Kunker Auction. The 12 Oz Munich Panda 1997 that i have posted have realiced just 3200 Euro + 20% fees = 4.700$. Last auction that Peter have noticed in his Pricepedia was 5399$. The coin at Berlin have too some heavy milk spots and a scratch or perhaps a struck through on the Panda site. The Price would be still OK.
At Friday morning the coin Show opens his doors. Peoples stand in line 2 hours for the entrance. The ticket coasts 16 Euros for all three days.

I have looked for MCC, but the coins in Germany are nearly sold out. With the Distributor MDM and the buying of many coins in the 80's and 90's Germany was a dream for MCC Collectors the last years. But now you can only found common coins or if you found something, than its complete overpriced. The funny is, peoples still buy this overpriced coins too.

I have talked with NGC Germany. Gradings become slowly popular here. I have see someone who have send in some silver eagles in bad condition to try the services.
NGC have told, they work currently hard on the limit, they must expand very soon here.

<<<->>>

There was some Panda medals this year again. I know the last thread. I want to write here neutral and don't discuss over the medal needs or not and hypes. Just want show this as a part of the coin show. There are still alot of panda medal collectors out there. If you have visited Berlin there would be perhaps some nice Souvenirs. Like Peter wrote perhaps its the Silver Age for medals now - but who knows.

The first booth with Panda medals was the private mint XSJ. They have produced the garden Pandas.
You have the Option to buy four medals. Brass, Copper, Silver plated and Gold plated for each 15 Euros. The next day this Pandas have coast only 10 Euros and on Saturday if they are already near of stock out 20 Euros. Each medals have a mintage of 50 pieces and it comes without box and CoA. On one site you see the Brandenburg Gate and on the other two Pandas - its the same design as the Kuala Lumpur Panda. On sunday the medals were still available.

Than there was the booth of Kunker. Here you could buy the World Money Fair 2018 panda medals with 1 Ounce Silver and 1000 Mintage for 89 Euro like last year. On the coin you can see the two new Pandas and the entrance gate of the Berliner zoo. The medals were not sold out the show.
The 8 gram have a mintage auf 800 pieces and was sold out. The front have the same design like last year, but with a another backside. The Panda is Gold gilded and i found its looks better than last year. The price was 39 Euro.

The last interesting booth for me was Champions. There you could buy a new Panda Coin Book in German language with 384 sites. Its more for the German Panda collectors. It have alot of Pictures and information's about German show Pandas. There are some interesting official News about the mintage like from the Basel 1 Oz Panda. MDM have reported that the mintage of "AU" Pandas are much lower than 300 pieces and "Pt" Version have over 700 pieces.
I don't have already read the book, no time yet. But alot of Peoples talked me, its interesting to read especially for beginners, but it don't replace Peter Anthony's Panda Buyers Guide #3.

On the Champion booth you can buy this year the trimetallic Panda with mintage 300 pieces against last year. But only with the book together for 65 Euros and every day just 33 medals.
There were many contest at the whole fair. Champion have too a contest and i try my luck and i win on the first day the 45th Sino German Panda Brass with 1500 Mintage.
I was there with my son and he get from Chou a medal - the Coin of the Year Brass Panda. Ive see on Friday and Saturday each children get this medal who comes with his coin passport to him.
You can buy with the tickets a coin passport (10 Euro). With this passport you can collect from nearly each country a coin like Vatican 50 Cent or by Champions even from Macao. I think most medals will be opened by the children's. Don't found any piece on eBay, still too nothing from the 1500 mintage medal.

Ive found this nice, but there are too some hidden medals, that you cant buy like the copper Panda. There is already one for 500$ at eBay. Its sadly for me as collector that i don't can catch it, but who cares. Like all other MCC, i have time to hunt treasure coins and if i still want it or don't think about it ill get it perhaps. There are out so many coins that i miss.
Its bad for complete collectors, but its too expensive to have a complete set.

The Year of the Coin ceremony is every year too at Berlin. This year have won the 5 Euro Coin Polymer Ring from Germany, perhaps we will see soon Pandas with polymer rings or nano Chips...

My next stop will be Munich next month, there is the smaller Numismata Coin Show with over 250 exhibitors and 4.000 Visitors.

Offline bender9876

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
Re: World Money Fair 2018 Berlin - Impressions
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 06:54:05 PM »
Thank you, Great Report

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 07:08:25 PM »
Thank you Golden Lord.    Even Germany is low on Chinese?     They once had a big supply.     Dang Chinese are buying them all up worldwide.......

Offline UniqueCoins

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 07:31:33 PM »
Thank you Golden Lord.    Even Germany is low on Chinese?     They once had a big supply.     Dang Chinese are buying them all up worldwide.......

Yes, you can notice every year. It's going fast slower to find nice coins.
As 2012 MCC offered there was nearly no interest. Today there are for one coin 50 interested persons.
If i, friendly Dealers or known Peoples sells MCC, they go to 90% to China back. Condition is most no matter.

Same will be sure at Munich, all is sold back to China or overpriced. Last year some visitors searched with posters for Gold Pandas.
There are at the eBay US (over eBay.com from Japan) sometimes more nice coins like this: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11050.m43.l1123/7?euid=63d30aa2ef0444d589184d1ac8e52bee&bu=43217549523&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.de%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302621343823&sojTags=bu=bu

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 11:37:57 PM »
Thanks for the great report.  I wish there was more material at the show to make it worthwhile for someone from the US to attend.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:20:41 AM »
Thanks @GoldenLord for your detailed report. +1  N31
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 07:52:34 AM »
When i ebay watch Chinese, many winning bidders have private ebay ID's.      I was told the Chinese bidders are active in all world ebays and other markets.    It is obvious.     At these low prices today the Chinese coin/medals have found their way back to China.      Due to your report and other comments here, it looks like inventory is going, going, almost gone.....

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 02:15:06 PM »
Goldenlord;    How is supply/demand of Color Lunar silver medals from Prestige Gold Panda sets in Germany?.....

Offline UniqueCoins

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 01:17:43 PM »
Goldenlord;    How is supply/demand of Color Lunar silver medals from Prestige Gold Panda sets in Germany?.....

It's the same like world wide. You can find very often 2003 & 2004 (they are cheap too).
The other pieces have a bad condition. The dog 2006 was sold last week two times very fast.
From 2009-2013 is the market empty.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 07:41:07 AM »
That is a very good conclusion.      I was told 2 to 3 yrs ago that dealers/collectors were quietly buying them up.    At that time i don't think they were graded and some opinions were they are not official mint but now we know they are.   Some of the gilt version are not seen on ebay.     I don't know how accurate the mintage of 1,000 and 500 each color/gilt for 08 rat are, but they could be much lower - speculation for now......  in hand they are beauties and one of the few newer issue medals i recommend to my collector friends.         Other MCC color coins, etc have about 100,000 planned mint and some are high demand like the Color Tiger Cub...

Offline Jens

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 04:46:06 PM »
I'm starting to think the golden age concerning chinese coins in germany is really over.
At last years Numismata in Frankfurt there was only one dealer i could find that had an amount of chinese coins even worth mentioning but he had nothing really rare.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 08:04:50 AM »
It's the same like world wide. You can find very often 2003 & 2004 (they are cheap too).
The other pieces have a bad condition. The dog 2006 was sold last week two times very fast.
From 2009-2013 is the market empty.

These just sold on ebay.   The 08 Color Rat sold quick about $119 and the 06 Color Dog w/ spots in questionable holder took a day to sell about $169.    Ebay photos.     A 04 PF 69 Color Monkey and 05 69 Color Rooster sold earlier for about $150 and $160.   Maybe $150 price range is new price?    I contacted sgcoins and Gov mint for more info but no return info yet...
Color Dog  Ebay 173209082636   Color Rat  Ebay 173209084124

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 08:07:03 AM »
Oops here are ebay photos...

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 11:28:40 AM »
Just saw this video. I was in awe. https://youtu.be/uRDq67WyWbI