Author Topic: Saw this gem today at a local coin show of all places!  (Read 1121 times)

Offline PandaQuest

• Trade Count: (+14)
Saw this gem today at a local coin show of all places!
« on: January 27, 2018, 11:58:04 AM »
Asking price 50K

Offline tater

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Saw this gem today at a local coin show of all places!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 10:24:23 PM »
That’s a little too rich for my wallet.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 08:05:01 AM »
Big asking prices on ebay for rare Vintage.    Big gold is selling too......

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 01:03:09 PM »
This was a very busy coin show with the aisles full of buyers and sellers.  A refreshing sight.

I enjoyed looking at the 1921 Hsu Shih Chang Pavillion gold coin.  It seems to be accurately graded.  For some unknown reason, these gold coins/medals seem to slowly be appearing at auction with the census numbers creeping up.  Still . . . wow!

Mark Bonke

Offline panda

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 01:34:50 PM »
This was a very busy coin show with the aisles full of buyers and sellers.  A refreshing sight.

I enjoyed looking at the 1921 Hsu Shih Chang Pavillion gold coin.  It seems to be accurately graded.  For some unknown reason, these gold coins/medals seem to slowly be appearing at auction with the census numbers creeping up.  Still . . . wow!

Mark Bonke

Which coin show are you talking about?

Offline bonke

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 04:57:39 PM »
The coin show mentioned by PandaQuest when he started this topic about the 1921 Hsu Shih Chang Pavillion gold coin/medal.

Mark Bonke

Offline panda

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 07:08:53 PM »
The coin show mentioned by PandaQuest when he started this topic about the 1921 Hsu Shih Chang Pavillion gold coin/medal.

Mark Bonke

I mean in which city :)

Offline bonke

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 08:23:54 PM »
The local coin show was held in Building A of the Convention Center in Mesa, Arizona.  The show had 43 tables (with only one used for native american jewelry and 42 used to display coins and currency).

Mark Bonke

Offline panda

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 11:12:18 PM »
The local coin show was held in Building A of the Convention Center in Mesa, Arizona.  The show had 43 tables (with only one used for native american jewelry and 42 used to display coins and currency).

Mark Bonke

Thank you!! I hope you have a great show!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 07:46:10 AM »
Bonke, were there many Chinese coins/medals?......

Offline bonke

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 08:46:31 AM »
The selection of Chinese coins and currency was limited. 

The currency was from the Republic era (1930s) to modern (1960s) with one Ching dynasty note.  The older currency was common in design.  Condition was acceptable.  A good selection of notes for a beginning collector of Chinese currency.  A disappointment if you have been collecting for a while.

The coins varied from the early 20th century to the present.  A few modern pandas, some raw and some graded.  Most of the older coins were raw.  Nothing which would justify the attendance by someone who collects Chinese unless you were interested in the 1921 gold coin in a 62 holder for the price being asked.

I did not see a modern Chinese medal.

In contrast, I did see some early US coins (including a 1794 half dollar) and some beautiful proof silver coins.

Mark Bonke

Offline panda

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 10:30:58 AM »
The selection of Chinese coins and currency was limited. 

The currency was from the Republic era (1930s) to modern (1960s) with one Ching dynasty note.  The older currency was common in design.  Condition was acceptable.  A good selection of notes for a beginning collector of Chinese currency.  A disappointment if you have been collecting for a while.

The coins varied from the early 20th century to the present.  A few modern pandas, some raw and some graded.  Most of the older coins were raw.  Nothing which would justify the attendance by someone who collects Chinese unless you were interested in the 1921 gold coin in a 62 holder for the price being asked.

I did not see a modern Chinese medal.

In contrast, I did see some early US coins (including a 1794 half dollar) and some beautiful proof silver coins.

Mark Bonke

Thanks for the detail! These days find good Chinese coins in local show is very difficult.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 08:25:49 AM »
That is slim pickings.     Not many are willing to sell in a down market.      My buddy goes to a local PDX coin show and he finds very few pandas, Chinese.     Usually a few low grade, raw gold pandas that he buys.     The wise are collecting/holding Chinese...

Offline bonke

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 11:30:27 AM »
As I wandered through the coin show, looking at Chinese coins and currency, no dealer said "Oh, I have more Chinese coins or notes back at the store.  What are you looking for?"  Most of the dealers were from the area and brought a significant amount of items to the show.  Unlike the FUN show or some other major coin show, these dealers did not have to worry about airline security or weight.  I would be very, very surprised if they were holding back inventory because of the spot price of silver or gold or the weakness of a particular market (such as the retail market for modern Chinese coins).

As the price of gold moved from $275 at the turn of the century to $1900 and back to $1000, most of the hoarders sold their bullion and jewelry.  A move back to $1500 may give some dealers an incentive to sell, but many of the collectors / investors have already sold in this volatile market of the 21st century.

Just my personal opinion (based on limited observations).

Mark Bonke

Offline panda

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 12:16:13 AM »
As I wandered through the coin show, looking at Chinese coins and currency, no dealer said "Oh, I have more Chinese coins or notes back at the store.  What are you looking for?"  Most of the dealers were from the area and brought a significant amount of items to the show.  Unlike the FUN show or some other major coin show, these dealers did not have to worry about airline security or weight.  I would be very, very surprised if they were holding back inventory because of the spot price of silver or gold or the weakness of a particular market (such as the retail market for modern Chinese coins).

As the price of gold moved from $275 at the turn of the century to $1900 and back to $1000, most of the hoarders sold their bullion and jewelry.  A move back to $1500 may give some dealers an incentive to sell, but many of the collectors / investors have already sold in this volatile market of the 21st century.

Just my personal opinion (based on limited observations).

Mark Bonke

Thanks Mark!

Even those (used to very) common coin like Fatman dollar, junk dollar, are hard to find now.