Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 5312 times)

kesheng

• Trade Count: (0)
Hello!
« on: September 05, 2008, 01:22:08 PM »
Hi all!

This is Kesheng, newbie from Hong Kong. Nice to know you all!

Cheers! :001_smile:

Offline snowball

• 猫迷
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • China Mint
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 04:06:18 PM »
Welcome!
Happy Collecting!  快乐收藏!

Colin
CE Collection Inc.
China Mint | Online Store

Offline BobW

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 06:18:51 PM »
Hello Kesheng,

What is the coin market like in Hong Kong? Are there many coin collectors in Hong Kong? What are they collecting? What are you collecting? Do many collectors in Hong Kong collect certified coins or do they prefer coins that have not been certified?

Glad that you have joined this group.

kesheng

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 07:19:36 PM »
Welcome!

Hi snowball!
I didn't realize you are here until last night. :)
Hope that I can learn more about the overseas Chinese Modern Coins market from you. Thanks!

kesheng

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 07:32:46 PM »
Hello Kesheng,

What is the coin market like in Hong Kong? Are there many coin collectors in Hong Kong? What are they collecting? What are you collecting? Do many collectors in Hong Kong collect certified coins or do they prefer coins that have not been certified?

Glad that you have joined this group.
Hi BobW,

Good morning! Its 7:20am here in HK.
I am from HK but most of my time and interests are in the Chinese Modern Coins market. Regarding this collectors group in HK, as a CMC advanced collector told me, just a few ones. The major collectors group are in China's most developed cities like Guangzhou, Shanghai and the East China cities, Beijing etc. Some of them have got regular private meetings to review good coins (recent one for Guangzhou as I know will be held today :).
I am newbie to CMC so didn't buy a lot, mainly in the Bimetallic series. Ppls here in China are not so concerned about the official grading coins system yet. But I guess they would pay more attention to this in future.

Offline Coinex

• ChineseCoins.com
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 08:10:41 PM »

Hello Kesheng,

What are some of the coins that are being collected by you and people in your collectors group? The Panda series is very popular in the U.S but the Lunar coins doesn't seem to get much attention, yet.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 08:12:08 PM by pandaman »

kesheng

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 12:19:25 AM »

Hello Kesheng,

What are some of the coins that are being collected by you and people in your collectors group? The Panda series is very popular in the U.S but the Lunar coins doesn't seem to get much attention, yet.

Hi Pandaman,
Most of our friends are favoured of Bimetallic coins which are rare and still good potential to grown. Some also try to collect the full set of gold medals of different exhibitions.

Other than the 8g gold Lunar series, both Panda and Lunar are too broad / general in topic and only selected coins are worth to try. So they would more prefer special (& rare) topics such as the Invention & discoveries series, Unearthed Artifacts series and so on.

For myself, I think hi-graded Bimetallic coins would be good to have. :)

How about your favourite coins? Which CMC items are hot in your country?

Offline Coinex

• ChineseCoins.com
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 02:35:54 AM »

Hello Kesheng,

Hi Pandaman,
Most of our friends are favoured of Bimetallic coins which are rare and still good potential to grown. Some also try to collect the full set of gold medals of different exhibitions.

Other than the 8g gold Lunar series, both Panda and Lunar are too broad / general in topic and only selected coins are worth to try. So they would more prefer special (& rare) topics such as the Invention & discoveries series, Unearthed Artifacts series and so on.

For myself, I think hi-graded Bimetallic coins would be good to have. :)

How about your favourite coins? Which CMC items are hot in your country?

The bi metallic coins are very nice, I have a two coin set from 1990- the Panda coin with the hong kong expo medal. Yes there are so many Panda and Lunar variations. I once had a Gold Bronze Age Finds Set but not any more- and it was not the one from 1981 which seems very popular.

I only really collect the proof coins and my collection is a bit scattered. I like the 20 oz Unicorn Coins and Platinum CMC.
Do you and your friends mostly use eBay or do you have good dealers there in HK?

Offline pecus

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 08:11:18 AM »
"Other than the 8g gold Lunar series, both Panda and Lunar are too broad / general in topic and only selected coins are worth to try. So they would more prefer special (& rare) topics such as the Invention & discoveries series, Unearthed Artifacts series and so on."

Does the reluctance of Chinese collectors to assemble complete sets of pandas and lunars mean these sets are just too hard to find or perhaps that the cost of doing so is too prohibitive?  Or some other reason?  Putting complete sets together is a very popular collecting goal in the US.  Why not in the home country?

Offline snowball

• 猫迷
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • China Mint
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 12:17:58 PM »
Hi snowball!
Hope that I can learn more about the overseas Chinese Modern Coins market from you. Thanks!

:w00t:  hi kesheng!  are you 可升??   :w00t:
Happy Collecting!  快乐收藏!

Colin
CE Collection Inc.
China Mint | Online Store

kesheng

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 12:40:59 AM »
The bi metallic coins are very nice, I have a two coin set from 1990- the Panda coin with the hong kong expo medal. Yes there are so many Panda and Lunar variations. I once had a Gold Bronze Age Finds Set but not any more- and it was not the one from 1981 which seems very popular.

I only really collect the proof coins and my collection is a bit scattered. I like the 20 oz Unicorn Coins and Platinum CMC.
Do you and your friends mostly use eBay or do you have good dealers there in HK?
Hi Pandaman,
The 90 coin+medal looks beautiful esp the medal which is only medal in small size series with 3 pandas. They are cute, right?
Bronzeware series #1 (1981) will be the best in this series while #3 (1993) are also good in terms of its rarity (360 actual mintage) and technology used. #2 are not so good comparing to other two.
I think big gold coins (5oz up) and Pt CMC belongs to another collectors group which require much more investments.
My friends in China would usually got their coins from dealers in PRC. I never tried eBay yet 'cos concern about the security and argument on delivery. Would you recommend to take a try? Please also let me know if any good CMC dealers in US/Europe area. Thanks!

kesheng

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 12:43:21 AM »
Hi snowball!

:w00t:  hi kesheng!  are you 可升??   :w00t:
:thumbup: :thumbup:

kesheng

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 12:55:20 AM »
"Other than the 8g gold Lunar series, both Panda and Lunar are too broad / general in topic and only selected coins are worth to try. So they would more prefer special (& rare) topics such as the Invention & discoveries series, Unearthed Artifacts series and so on."

Does the reluctance of Chinese collectors to assemble complete sets of pandas and lunars mean these sets are just too hard to find or perhaps that the cost of doing so is too prohibitive?  Or some other reason?  Putting complete sets together is a very popular collecting goal in the US.  Why not in the home country?

Hi pecus,
Full set collection is also popular for fans in China. But Lunar has got different series in terms of weight, material, shape etc. While budget is limited and rare coins are so expensive, most of us would try to get the most favoured, best technologies, #1 issue or most undervalued one first. :laugh: