Author Topic: China stopped shipping out medals?  (Read 1285 times)

Offline PandaOrLunar

• Trade Count: (0)
China stopped shipping out medals?
« on: December 08, 2017, 11:43:07 AM »
Just got off the phone with MCM to claim my free panda coin.  The agent mentioned that China stopped a shipment of Chinese medals/coins to them and was informed that China will now only ship out the series panda coins due to China internal demand for gold and silver.

Not sure what is true and what is "selling tactic".  Can someone elaborate.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
Re: China stopped shipping out medals?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 06:23:49 AM »
IF this is true then it is big news.     China warned us sometime ago that domestic demand will outstrip supply and MCC will remain in China.       Matter of time for China to stop shipping out coins/medals to the West.......

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 11:21:09 AM »
Trade is being restricted both ways, shipping to mainland has gotten exponentially more risky in the last 6 months.  I don't  know if this will be bullish or bearish long term.  For the short term it is bearish, because several of my retail buyers in China can no longer buy from me, which means I have to cut bids, lower bids means lower retail prices and the cycle continues downward until someone figures out alternative shipping lanes via Hong Kong or visit to US.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:28:18 AM »
Just got off the phone with MCM to claim my free panda coin.  The agent mentioned that China stopped a shipment of Chinese medals/coins to them and was informed that China will now only ship out the series panda coins due to China internal demand for gold and silver.

Not sure what is true and what is "selling tactic".  Can someone elaborate.

It may be more complicated than that if the news is true. For example, this could be a strategy to streamline products and exert more control over the current situation of overproduction.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 11:38:55 AM »
Trade is being restricted both ways, shipping to mainland has gotten exponentially more risky in the last 6 months.  I don't  know if this will be bullish or bearish long term.  For the short term it is bearish, because several of my retail buyers in China can no longer buy from me, which means I have to cut bids, lower bids means lower retail prices and the cycle continues downward until someone figures out alternative shipping lanes via Hong Kong or visit to US.

Does this signal an end to the “bring the pandas home program”? This restriction could impact on the ability to repatriate the desired coins back to China.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 01:11:45 PM »
It does for cheaper coins and slabs.  Expensive and raw coins will continue to flow home.  This is what led me to sell my entire collection of coins valued at $1000 or less.

Offline Clark Smith

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • See our coins at www.coinvault.com
    • Clark Smith
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 03:00:13 PM »
This might make panda medals worth more (especially the early ones).....

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 04:32:43 PM »
It is my understanding that no change in regulations of shipping anything between China and foreign countries. However, the Customs in big cities have enforced the regulations to stop the shipments with false declaration. This will lower the profit margin of exporters/importers, if they have to pay the VAT/duty for the goods. However, for exporting of post-2010 pandas, the effects is limited since no VAT is required. I also believe that Chinese Customs has a black list of the shippers of high valuation goods, since I have received MCC from my friend (not a dealer) without any problem recently.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 07:07:18 PM »
Being MCM,  their shipment probably contains a zillion monster boxes.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 03:39:04 AM »
To legally export significant quantities of gold or silver products from the PRC you need an export license. Anything produced at a Mint requires one. It is not issued by customs, but by a different government branch. To the best of my knowledge there is no policy change at a national level. There are nuances to this, lots of nuances, but I am quite sure the door to do business remains open. For instance, I am very confident that gold and silver 2019 Valentine Pandas will be available next year.

As far as customs goes, Beijing PEK airport customs was making every piece of luggage go through the scanner today. That created a sizable waiting line of people at the exit. This is not a new development, but in early November the controls were much looser and less time consuming. That was because a new automated system had been installed. It was not in operation today.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
www.pandacollector.com
China Pricepedia