Author Topic: "First Day of Issue" NGC Panda 2018 30 Gram Silver  (Read 867 times)

Offline PandaWill

• Trade Count: (0)
"First Day of Issue" NGC Panda 2018 30 Gram Silver
« on: December 04, 2017, 03:20:31 PM »
hey guys,

we just receieved our shipment from China of the "FIRST DAY OF ISSUE" NGC graded 2018 Panda 30 gram silver coins.

currently have 69's and 70's; we are selling the FDOI 69's for $99 and the FDOI 70's for $199.

if you are interested, feel free to give me a call in the office and mention the forum, and i will give you a discount of that price.

thanks!

Will
Panda America
800-472-6327 x230

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
Re: "First Day of Issue" NGC Panda 2018 30 Gram Silver
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:36:54 PM »
So the mintage of this coin is in the millions, and you are asking almost 700% of melt value for a MS 69 and 1300% of melt value for a MS 70! For less than a $100, you can buy a NGC MS 69 1996,1989, 2002, 2004, 2005,..etc Hmm Which one is a better buy?

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 05:58:32 AM »
What additional increase in premium should one expect from such labeling, in 5 years, 10 years, and so on?
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:15:07 AM »
What additional increase in premium should one expect from such labeling, in 5 years, 10 years, and so on?

From my experience, you will never be able to break even on your investment, unless silver goes to $60-$100.

Offline Jens

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:19:04 AM »
Unreal, lol. This label bs is getting ridiculous.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:52:02 PM »
I can't help but point out that Panda America is not promoting these as investments. Besides, there are collectors who want matching labels for their sets. A multi-year set of First Day coins is a nice concept. It's not so hard to imagine that a decade from now these could be keys to that. So buy, or don't buy, whatever fits your needs, but the reaction here seems a little harsh to me.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Jens

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 01:49:33 PM »
I think we'we had this discussion somewhere before and i feel that the overwhelming majority of serious coin collectors doesn't give a damn about these labels.
Quote NGC site:
"NGC offers the First Day of Issue designation for select coins that are received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository within one day of the first release of a new coin issue."
No numismatic value at all is added to these coins, period.

I don't see anyone here criticizing Panda America, they are a business and as such sell what people are willing to buy, but i don't think these labels are positive for the coin market as a whole.

My fear is that unexperienced new collectors fall for these labels because they get the impression that they are something special and do add value.
When they later try to sell their coin and lose a lot of money, will they think coin collecting is fun? Will they tell their friends coin collecting is fun? Will they tell their children coin collection is fun?
No they will feel scammed out of their money and huge damage is done to the hobby.
And remember not everyone in this market is honest and will tell potential buyers that these labels are just very expensive pieces of paper that add no value at all to the coin.

Buy the coin, not the holder!

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 01:54:53 PM »
Well, I wrote that comment as a warning to the beginner buyer. Most would agree that most members of this forum want to buy low and sell high (or even break even) at some point! Also, most of the members here understand how overpriced this bullion coin is!! We all know they are sold at these exorbitant premiums when they first come out to NEVER EVER recover to that initial price!

When I first joined this forum, there was so much hype and I ended up buying very overpriced coins. I take full responsibility for my decision , but I wish there was a voice of reason to warn and educate on this forum. Now, there are a few such voices and for that this is a much better forum.

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 01:56:57 PM »
I think we'we had this discussion somewhere before and i feel that the overwhelming majority of serious coin collectors doesn't give a damn about these labels.
Quote NGC site:
"NGC offers the First Day of Issue designation for select coins that are received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository within one day of the first release of a new coin issue."

I don't see anyone here criticizing Panda America, they are a business and as such sell what people are willing to buy, but i don't think these labels are positive for the coin market as a whole.

My fear is that unexperienced new collectors fall for these labels because they get the impression that they are something special and do add value.
When they later try to sell their coin and lose a lot of money, will they think coin collecting is fun? Will they tell their friends coin collecting is fun? Will they tell their children coin collection is fun?
No they will feel scammed out of their money and huge damage is done to the hobby.
And remember not everyone in this market is honest and will tell potential buyers that these labels are just very expensive pieces of paper that add no value at all to the coin.

We were both writing the same thing at the same time  N16 Great minds think alike  :thumbup: The difference is: Jens did a better job illustrating my point. Thanks.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 04:41:39 PM »
Well, I wrote that comment as a warning to the beginner buyer. Most would agree that most members of this forum want to buy low and sell high (or even break even) at some point! Also, most of the members here understand how overpriced this bullion coin is!! We all know they are sold at these exorbitant premiums when they first come out to NEVER EVER recover to that initial price!

When I first joined this forum, there was so much hype and I ended up buying very overpriced coins. I take full responsibility for my decision , but I wish there was a voice of reason to warn and educate on this forum. Now, there are a few such voices and for that this is a much better forum.

Quote NGC site:

+1 for both.

It is my understanding that China Mint shipped "first day" coins (10,000) to three grading companies (NGC. PCGS and one Chinese grading company sponsored by CGCI) directly in the last three years. They are not rare either.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 05:32:07 PM »

This was my nicest way of contributing to this discussion; in fact I held off making comments when the thread was started initially because I did not want to sound like I was attacking anyone or product offering.

However, we all have the obligation in this forum to be as forthright as possible while still observing the usual social niceties. This is the only way in which this forum can remain the premier information getting place it is comparatively.

Anyone who posts information here should realize that this is the forum where you are most likely to be called out, enlightened, corrected, advised or interacted with regarding the veracity of your posted materials. Not that any of us is perfect but we keep on trying!

Yes, I have also lost quite a lot of money due to inexperience and falling prey to particular hypes and selling practices. Just like any reasonable adult, hopefully, I take full responsibility for my mistakes and keep on trying to be a better collector. So it is correct to ask questions or make other contributions that signal to the novice collector the importance of critical analyses of information they pick up here or elsewhere.

I saw this “First Day” labeled coin on eBay a while ago and the price being asked for. I took some time to consider it from all aspects; it didn’t sound reasonable to me so I moved on. In fact I didn’t order graded silver panda coins like I normally do though I ordered some gold coins. I thought of either buying a tray of OMP and grading them or not grading them at all. I am still thinking! The only thing keeping me back right now is that silver “OMPs” are no more OMP in the original sense; they can be cherry picked now. That is reality. That is also what it means to be learning and getting more experienced. You think things through before making your purchase only when it makes sense to you.

It is hard to imagine a scenario when the price of silver or other precious metals will reach a level to justify certain purchases on offer now including the one on this thread. It is therefore correct to discuss the relative merits of the various formulations of the 2018 30oz silver Panda coin.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 06:09:33 PM »
+1 poconopenn You are one of the voices of reason and integrity on this forum. THank you.
+1 Keepontrying I know you were conveying the same message in a more tactful way. Thank you.

Most collectors do not have the time and resources to visit multiple coin shows and interact with dealers on an intimate level. When the market was good, no-one was complaining.Now the times are very tough and it is a survival game. Most coin shows' attendance is pathetic and there is usually more dealers than retail customers! In this tough environment, you get to see the true worth of coins without the fluff and hype.