Author Topic: Coin photography  (Read 1051 times)

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+12)
    • Coin Armour
Coin photography
« on: December 02, 2017, 12:31:29 PM »
Just bought a $24 attachment to my iPhone for macro pics.  The lense is 15x and also comes with wide angle.  Here are a couple of pics.  You can clearly see the double die on the 1993.  I need to keep practicing as these are my first pics but I am very happy with the purchase

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
Re: Coin photography
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 01:10:45 PM »
Do you have a way to trigger the shutter remotely or on delayed time?  The problem with iPhone is hard to hold the camera steady.   Shutter speed with macro lens is slow, and you need extra hand to adjust lighting, especially with the highly polished reflective coin surface.  Polarized filter helps with glare, but it slows down the shutter even more.  Some sort of stand plus remote shutter can really help with the picture quality.

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 01:48:59 PM »
I bought this but no remote trigger. I can’t seem to copy the link from amazon but here is a description.

Selfie Ring Light with Cell Phone Holder Stand for Live Stream and Makeup.

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 01:52:23 PM »
Selfie Ring Light with Cell Phone Holder Stand for Live Stream and Makeup, UBeesize LED Camera Light [3-Light Mode] [10-Level Brightness] With Flexibl

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075ZLCSGP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_VAemy695QVuWE

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 01:56:51 PM »
And this

Criacr Camera Lens Kit, 0.6X Wide Angle Lens + 15X Macro Lens, Clip-On Cell Phone Lens for iPhone 8 / 7 / 6 / 6S, Samsung, Huawei, Most Smartphones (N https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074JT9C49/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_lQqKfKknC36oI

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 11:23:21 PM »
I have a ring light and I don't really use it very much unless I do very tight close-up.  Here are a few pictures to illustrate the effects of the ring light.  As you can see, the ring light itself is fairly large(photo 1).  The inner diameter of the ring is about 2.5".  Yet, taking a picture 7" above the coin(photo 2), you can still see the ring of light clearly(photo 3).  Clearly this is undesirable.

Lower the lens to about 2" above the coin(photo 4) makes the ring of light disappears, but 40mm macro lens can't capture the entire coin and I don't really like the edge-lit effects(photo 5).

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 12:25:31 AM »
Direct, indirect, reflected light sources, diffused light and day light to name a few, subject to experimentation, can all help make good photos.

KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 12:30:46 AM »
We have smartphone coin photography resources on this thread: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=11855.0
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 02:21:03 AM »

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 02:26:05 AM »
I have a ring light and I don't really use it very much unless I do very tight close-up.  Here are a few pictures to illustrate the effects of the ring light.  As you can see, the ring light itself is fairly large(photo 1).  The inner diameter of the ring is about 2.5".  Yet, taking a picture 7" above the coin(photo 2), you can still see the ring of light clearly(photo 3).  Clearly this is undesirable.

Lower the lens to about 2" above the coin(photo 4) makes the ring of light disappears, but 40mm macro lens can't capture the entire coin and I don't really like the edge-lit effects(photo 5).
I have three ring lights, including this type, which is used least often, because I use enlarger lenses. This type is much too big for them.