Author Topic: Coin of the Year Beijing Book Release Commemorative Medals  (Read 462 times)

Offline bullionblog.eu

• Trade Count: (0)
Coin of the Year Beijing Book Release Commemorative Medals
« on: October 31, 2017, 12:52:38 PM »
Since 1984, the “Coin of the Year” award has been something like the “Oscar” for the World of Coins. Under the auspices of the US-based coin publisher “Krause”, a top-class jury from all over the world of numismatics chooses the most beautiful and innovative coinage of each year. And in 2017, a special book will be presented at the “Beijing International Coin Expo” which summarizes the best coins of the past decades.

On the occasion of the book publication of “Coin of the Year – Celebrating Three Decades of the Best in Coin Design and Craftsmanship”, the succesfull and popular series of Panda commemorative medals from China will be continued. During the ceremony to introduce the book on November 11, 2017, three medals will be presented with a common design: The “Coin of the Year Beijing Book Release” commemorative medals were produced in the Shanghai New Century Mint.

More on the medals: http://bullionblog.de/coin-of-the-year-rare-panda-medals-gold-silver-brass-beijing/

Offline Pandaguy

Re: Coin of the Year Beijing Book Release Commemorative Medals
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 01:22:49 PM »
Next thing we will see is a commemorative medal in honor of the printing press that manufactured the "Coin of the Year Beijing Book".   This is getting ridiculous -- a new medal for any and all occasions subject to the sponsors' whim and desire to cash-in on people willing to buy the medal. How about a medal for the first snowfall of the season???  N27

Offline bullionblog.eu

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »
Well, I remember the last shitstorm that unfolded after I posted a report about the Sino-German friendship pandas, should have seen this new one coming :-)

I respect the opinion of anybody who is not interested in Panda medals, but I see that there are a lot of folks out there who do like to include them in their collection, so why don't we let everybody decide what to collect as long as it brings happiness?

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 02:54:43 PM »
Well, I remember the last shitstorm that unfolded after I posted a report about the Sino-German friendship pandas, should have seen this new one coming :-)

I respect the opinion of anybody who is not interested in Panda medals, but I see that there are a lot of folks out there who do like to include them in their collection, so why don't we let everybody decide what to collect as long as it brings happiness?

I agree. The Show Medals and the Friendship Medals are one thing that most like. However, "Book Medals" may be another story in that things may be getting carried-away to an extreme.

That notwithstanding, thank you for sharing, as everyone is interested in seeing what is out there -- whether Coin, Panda medal, Show medal or whatever. At the very least, you have brought awareness to something new, and everyone can learn. That is one of the main purposes of this forum. Thank you again!!

Offline ccl

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Chinese Coins Live, LLC.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 03:03:21 PM »
Next thing we will see is a commemorative medal in honor of the printing press that manufactured the "Coin of the Year Beijing Book".   This is getting ridiculous -- a new medal for any and all occasions subject to the sponsors' whim and desire to cash-in on people willing to buy the medal. How about a medal for the first snowfall of the season???  N27

N31 :thumbup: N16

Offline bullionblog.eu

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 03:22:41 PM »
Hi there. Thank you so much for the feedback. I understand the criticism against the mintages and also the topics of the medals, but from my point of view, there had been several medals this year which are very popular among collectors.

The mintages and the frequency of new editions must be closely monitored, as an inflation of medals would not help the hobby at all.

But I was kind of surprised about the outcry that one of my last posts about the Sino-German friendship pandas created. I did not see the medals as controversial, and I had the impression that there are several groups working against each other. I as a newbie might have ended up between the frontlines :-)

I like any Panda medals (be it the Garden Pandas or the Show Pandas) because of the high minting quality, the design itself and the role that the Panda coins and medals play to connect between east and west. For me, coin collecting has always been a way to explore the world. That might sound blue-eyed, but I try to conserve this fascination and write about it whenever I can.

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »
Are the pictures showing "sample" or "pattern" medals?  If so, what is the mintage number for the sample or pattern medals?  Will they be available for purchase by members of the public at the coin show in Beijing in less than two weeks?  Prices?

What are the mintage numbers for the gold, silver and brass medals?

Prices at the show for these medals for members of the public?

Where will these be available in the National Convention Center?  Date and time of release?

Will other versions (piefort, other finishes, etc.) be released during or after the coin show?

If we have promotions for various new medals, it would help to have all of the details and not have them come out slowly over time.  With this information, it will be easier to decide what is available, when, where and at what cost.

Mark Bonke