Author Topic: What's up with the 1996 25Y?  (Read 979 times)

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
What's up with the 1996 25Y?
« on: October 24, 2017, 02:41:36 PM »
Hey all!   Long time no chat - I think it's been close to a year since I've been around and contributing.  Life got busy, business has been good, just basically sidetracked from collecting.  And when I say sidetracked, I mean I have not kept up in the least, completely missed the 35th Anniversary coins, and wasn't paying attention to prices or availability.   I hope everyone here has been happy and healthy during the year I've been "away".

Seems like the biggest change I've noticed, doing a quickie 5 minute review of current prices, is that the '96 25Y gold pandas have corrected and are really close to "common" level.    Was a large hoard of this date found in someone's attic or something?   I know that NGC pops aren't 100% accurate, but population numbers haven't changed dramatically over the last year.   And I did do a search to see if this topic has been discussed, so apologies if this was hashed over and I missed it. 

Anyway, hope to be stopping by more often, glad to see many familiar names still around.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
Re: What's up with the 1996 25Y?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 03:13:39 PM »
10 sheets of small dates came out last summer.  The dealer that bought them did a very poor job so distributing them into strong hands.  He sold them into weak dealer hands all of whom tried to run for the exit at the same time.  The prices have stabilized around $550-$600 level now and all the weak hands have exited the trade. 

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 03:36:18 PM »
Arif, I assume the sudden supply of SD also affects the LD?   I've gotten the impression - but please correct me if I'm wrong - that many set builders are mint agnostic and only care about year so that if a sudden supply of coins from one mint hits the scene it affects demand for both variations. 
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 05:02:26 PM »
It shouldn't affect LD, but it does because the biggest buyers are master set builders and investors. 

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 10:38:55 PM »
If I'm following - and I'm not 100% sure I am - it sounds like you're saying that the price of the LD is collateral damage from the sudden onset of SD supply.   Is that a fair, if simplified, conclusion?
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 03:06:28 AM »
Yes, because price movements for gold pandas are 95% related to master set demand these days. If a hoard of coins comes to market, set builders no longer need to offer high prices to find additional coins. Set builders don't care about LD v. SD.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 08:41:11 AM »
With the liquidation of some of China's Coin Exchanges, did that bring gold pandas to market to fill Master Sets?......

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 11:58:56 AM »
Thanks Arif, and thank you Mirkkanen for confirming.   
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 12:10:51 PM »
With the liquidation of some of China's Coin Exchanges, did that bring gold pandas to market to fill Master Sets?......

No. The exchanges only listed coins that could readily be found in the thousands or tens of thousands, mostly silver coins. They needed way more supply than was available for most denominations of gold pandas.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 07:59:09 AM »
Exchanges did not invest in Chinese gold?    They must have purchased newer issue silver pandas, no wonder price on them has dropped as my buddy went to a coin show and bought a 2002  MS 68 silver panda for $50!     Thanks for the info.....