Author Topic: NGC Variety Question; Something I do not understand regarding pop census  (Read 780 times)

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+12)
    • Coin Armour
Here is a link from NGC depicting a new recognized variety back in 2015.  I hunted for a very long time and found one and had it graded...PF 69 UC  N3

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/4566/Modern-Chinese-Varieties/

However, when you check NGC pop report only one exists, which would be mine (I would have thought mine would be #2).  If this is true, what happened to the coin featured in their article 2 years prior and why does it not show up in census.  Is it held as some type of discovery coin?

Inquiring minds want to know.

thanks for any help.

Offline ccl

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Chinese Coins Live, LLC.
Re: NGC Variety Question; Something I do not understand regarding pop census
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 03:35:33 PM »
Could it be that these were all previously graded with standard designation and none subsequently showed up again until yours was submitted?

If you want to continue this research, let me know and I'll give you some data for this coin.

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 03:21:06 AM »
There are coins missing from the pop reports.  Every year I find coins that when you do cert look up coin isn't present even though I submitted it for grading myself.  The most common missing coins are when you send in a coin for relabeling, often the entire invoice is missing.  Other times I have seen it is during show grading, coins simply don't show up.  Whenever I notice this I send NGC a picture and they add it to the pop report.  I remember buying 20+ coins from Nick B back in 2008, when I went home to add them to registry none of them existed, I sent NGC picture and they added not only the coins I sent them but the entire invoice from which the coins came from.  The images weren't uploaded, just cert look up and numbers in pop reports.  As general rule I assume the pop reports are 95% accurate. 

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+12)
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 07:57:01 PM »
Thanks for the insight.  I knew their pop reports were never correct but one would think if they are writing about a new variety that coin should be #1 in their census but this does not always seem to be the case.