Author Topic: What is PQ Panda and why do I need a sticker  (Read 2492 times)

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+12)
    • Coin Armour
What is PQ Panda and why do I need a sticker
« on: October 06, 2017, 01:18:18 PM »
Peter mentioned PQ Panda in his recent Pricepedia and there was also a photo.  I decided to check out the web site since I never heard of them before.  Seems like they plan to offer all kinds of services, sort of like a one stop shop.  Interestingly they have something called PQP stickers to identify "premium pandas"....not sure what this is all about.

Anybody with info?  I am just curious.

Offline ccl

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Chinese Coins Live, LLC.
Re: What is PQ Panda and why do I need a sticker
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 01:53:13 PM »
this was entertaining!

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 10:33:16 PM »
I saw PQ dealer at ANA show.  They sell official and private mint medals, in silver, brass, copper.

Offline sdd1jmc

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 08:03:59 PM »
 I also met them at the ANA show they're gonna sticker top quality panda coins somewhat similar to wings.

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 05:48:54 AM »
Their pricing seems way off.  They say they have an exclusive agreement with Shanghai mint to distribute 2017 Berlin money fair panda medal, but their prices are more than double recent eBay sales. 

Also still not sure I need a PQP sticker!!!

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 12:44:34 PM »
When coin and collectible grading started in 1980s all the dealers were saying why do we need grading, we can grade the coins ourselves for free.  Then market developed for graded coins and the more sophisticated dealers embraced grading and made a fortune, while those that ignored it as a gimmick are millions of dollars poorer for ignoring it.  When I started with gold panda in late 2007, almost nobody (2 dealers and 1 investor) was grading gold pandas, they were bullion, why grade a 1995 1/2 or 1998 1/2.  Every purchase I made I graded simply to reaffirm the coin was real and to remove the toning (back then NCS was like $25 for conservation and grading for coins below $3000).  I started listing on ebay and people gladly paid a significant premium to own a 69 or 70 coin and within months I stumbled onto a viable business. 

The next trend is CAC sticker boom for US coins, it had some premium over the years, but to help it along owners partnered with greysheet, which now includes CAC price premiums and we will see if creates viable business for new players or not. 

As a collector, investor or dealer it is not up to us to decide if something has value, instead we let the market decide and then participate even if we don't agree with it, because the market is the ultimate decider of value.  For the few success stories (NGC, PCGS, CAC) there are hundreds of losers (ANCS, first strike, early show release, prestige set of 500 mintage, private mint medals). 

If PQP seeks out the correct partners, puts millions of dollars at work buying PQP coins at a premium, tracks PQP transactions on a blockchain, who knows it could be the next big trend or just another idea in the loser bucket after ripping off early adopters.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 10:44:45 PM »
They say they have an exclusive agreement with Shanghai mint to distribute 2017 Berlin money fair panda medal, but their prices are more than double recent eBay sales. 

There is a misunderstanding here – certainly as far as I understand how China's Mint system works. The Mints make the medals, or other products, and deliver them. End of story. I have never heard of a Chinese Mint getting involved in distributing their products, or making distribution deals with private parties. It is not unusual for an entire mintage to be delivered to a single party, but that is not what I would call an exclusive distribution agreement. The receiving party can sell 'em, melt' em, or sit on 'em. It is all the same to the Mint; its work and involvement ends with delivery. Distribution is entirely the receiver's problem, or opportunity. That is what I am familiar with and have seen and heard from everyone else who has also worked directly with any of China's Mints.

I have had several very good discussions with PQ Pandas at coin shows, although not about this subject. I look forward to seeing them at future numismatic events and wish them both good fortune and clarity.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 05:59:25 AM »
There is a misunderstanding here – certainly as far as I understand how China's Mint system works. The Mints make the medals, or other products, and deliver them. End of story. I have never heard of a Chinese Mint getting involved in distributing their products, or making distribution deals with private parties. It is not unusual for an entire mintage to be delivered to a single party, but that is not what I would call an exclusive distribution agreement. The receiving party can sell 'em, melt' em, or sit on 'em. It is all the same to the Mint; its work and involvement ends with delivery. Distribution is entirely the receiver's problem, or opportunity. That is what I am familiar with and have seen and heard from everyone else who has also worked directly with any of China's Mints.

I have had several very good discussions with PQ Pandas at coin shows, although not about this subject. I look forward to seeing them at future numismatic events and wish them both good fortune and clarity.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Direct from their website.  Not a good start IMHO ( still not sure why I need a sticker ??? CAC has some heavy backing with serious coin expertise, with all due respect not sure what expertise PQ Panda has....now if Peter were to certify a premium panda with a sticker that may be a different story...PAP...peter Anthony premium!!!);

Great news for the Show Panda collectors! The first ever 50g Silver Piefort Berlin World Money Fair Show Panda has been produced. An exclusive agreement was reached with PQPanda LLC and the Shanghai Mint to distribute this beautiful, low mintage addition to the Berlin World Money Fair Panda series. Only 300 pieces were minted.

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 08:44:46 AM »
Keywords to run from: “first ever”  N17
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline PQPanda-MD

• New
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 08:56:42 AM »
Hey there crew, I just want to get my first post in by saying hello.  I look forward to some lively exchanges as we share our passion for Pandas!

I would also like to thank Peter for his shout out and support.

Catch y'all

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 09:29:21 AM »
Hey there crew, I just want to get my first post in by saying hello.  I look forward to some lively exchanges as we share our passion for Pandas!

I would also like to thank Peter for his shout out and support.

Catch y'all

Welcome to the forum!!!

I am not trolling but I just want to understand the claims from your website and your stickers.  For me, I do not understand how you have an exclusive with Shanghai Mint to distribute Berlin show pandas.  Also, it would be helpful to understand your position in the MCC community when it comes to offering "grading stickers".  I am a little confused.  I have been a member of CCF probably almost 7 years and collecting MCC even longer.  I am by no means an expert to offer certification stickers.  If this is your first post, it would be helpful to understand your qualifications for such a service.

Offline PQPanda-MD

• New
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 09:52:28 AM »
Thanks for welcome!

I understand the need for us to introduce ourselves, as we are the new kids on the block, so to speak.  Two items to clarify:

1) I did not thoroughly think through the wording used in our "exclusive agreement" for the Berlin 50g Show Panda.  Reading it again, you pose a good question about dealing with the Shanghai Mint.  I edited the website wording accordingly.  The fact still remains that we have an exclusive arrangement to distribute these awesome Pandas.

2) Our qualifications to provide PQP Stickering Service is supported by over 10 years of Panda collecting and the top ranking in numerous NGC Registry Sets.  We know a few things as we've seen a few things.

Offline sdd1jmc

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 09:57:45 AM »
Welcome to the forum, glad I was able too get 3 pandas from you at the ANA show to work on completing my panda date set.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 01:17:08 PM »
Thanks for welcome!

I understand the need for us to introduce ourselves, as we are the new kids on the block, so to speak.  Two items to clarify:

1) I did not thoroughly think through the wording used in our "exclusive agreement" for the Berlin 50g Show Panda.  Reading it again, you pose a good question about dealing with the Shanghai Mint.  I edited the website wording accordingly.  The fact still remains that we have an exclusive arrangement to distribute these awesome Pandas.

2) Our qualifications to provide PQP Stickering Service is supported by over 10 years of Panda collecting and the top ranking in numerous NGC Registry Sets.  We know a few things as we've seen a few things.

Welcome to the forum.

It is my understanding that China Mint will not give you an "exclusive right" to sell its medal, unless you are the sponsor of the said medal. Please clarify the term of "Exclusive Arrangement".

Offline PQPanda-MD

• New
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 02:07:51 PM »
poconopenn,

Your understanding is correct.  Now with my clarification that PQPanda is not the Sponsor, logic would lead you to how we have our exclusive arrangement.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 05:16:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

It is my understanding that China Mint will not give you an "exclusive right" to sell its medal, unless you are the sponsor of the said medal. Please clarify the term of "Exclusive Arrangement".

It is my understanding and experience that the China Mint does not give distribution rights to outside parties, period. They deliver their product. If somebody like a sponsor possesses the entire mintage then yes, they are the exclusive distributor, but not by agreement with the Mint.

I do not think PQPanda is trying mislead anyone and their website has been updated to delete the Shanghai Mint reference. It's nice they responded so quickly. I am guessing they either own, or have exclusive access to, the entire mintage of the 50 gm Berlin Pandas.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline PQPanda-MD

• New
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 08:45:32 PM »
Peter...many thanks again!

Please check out our listings on ebay under "pqpanda-2017".  As you can see, our website store is under development along with many of the other features we want to launch soon.