Author Topic: Chinese Error Coins & Medals  (Read 3515 times)

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
Chinese Error Coins & Medals
« on: August 30, 2017, 10:12:58 PM »
The third party grading services (NGC & PCGS) have started encapsulating more and more modern Chinese coins & medals with error designations.  If you own one of these coins or medals and wish to share pictures with the coin forum, it would certainly be interesting (from my perspective) and could be helpful when evaluating coins or medals in original mint packaging or removed from this packaging.  Often, I ask myself whether the "problem" seen on a coin or medal is a mint error or caused by mishandling after production.  As an example, is the "problem" in the field a scratch or a strike-thru wire.

It may be helpful to have pictures and descriptions under one topic heading for future research by coin forum members.

Mark Bonke

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
Re: Chinese Error Coins & Medals
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 12:26:55 AM »
Good idea, Mark. I don't own any errors, but I bet many here do.

Offline bonke

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 10:48:59 AM »
Over the past several years, I have seen error coins listed on Ebay with high Buy-It-Now prices.  I have assumed modern Chinese coins and medals with errors were rare.  We all know about the 1985 94th ANA silver medal with the English phrase below the Great Wall struck in reverse (mirror image) or the 1988 Basel gold medal with a "Pt" platinum designation.  These are early production errors which occurred as the dies were prepared.  These are rare because the planned mintage was low and the actual mintage or surviving mintage was even lower.  A different category of errors occurs when the coin or medal is struck.  At the ANA show in Denver, I saw several modern Chinese gold panda coins with "Strike Thru" error designations.  Are these rare?  I wonder if rotated die errors are rare or common.  I wonder if off-center strikes are rare or common.  I wonder whether double die errors are rare or common.  Possibly, with descriptions and pictures, I will be able to identify a particular error and get a sense, over time, as to whether it is rare or common.

Mark Bonke

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 01:45:36 PM »
1983 1 Fen, NGC MS 67, Double struck, first struck off center

http://www.coin001.com/hack.php?H_name=auction&skip=1&action=detail&aid=52224 (RMB 123,200 = US$ 1,915)

Regular 1983 1 Fen MS 67 is about $15.

Here is the link to the pictures.

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=2618.2385 (Reply# 2391)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 02:20:35 PM »
This thread has some photos of rotated die errors

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=8656.msg56466#msg56466

Offline bonke

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 02:56:41 PM »
Thanks for the links to these prior discussions.  I remember seeing these posts about a rotated die coin and a double struck coin.  Still, I doubt if I ever could have found the information without your help.

Mark Bonke

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 03:04:13 PM »
I have had 3 mint errors from all my submissions.  To me it seems reasonable to get about $500 spread to non-error coin. 

1989P 1/2 sold stuck thru PF68 sold for $1200 net, $400 premium to PF68
1989   1/2 LD struck thru PF69 asking $2150, $700 premium to PF69 - been offered $2000 decided to keep it until I get more
1990P 1/20 sold stuck thru PF69 sold for $700 net, $500 premium to PF69

I tired to posting pics, but they are too big.

Offline bonke

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 04:17:59 PM »
Arif

Were these coins struck thru wire, cloth or something else?

I know you have submitted an enormous number of gold panda coins over the past 10 years.  If you have only received 3 mint errors from all of these submissions, they must be very, very rare.  I am surprised you did not charge more for these error coins.

Mark Bonke

Offline ccl

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Chinese Coins Live, LLC.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 07:43:09 PM »
Courtesy of Chinese Coins Live....

an excel file that contains 32 examples of these error coins.

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 09:12:12 PM »
This is an area that I have devoted much time to.  My collection focuses on various varieties or errors that I find interesting.  Generally speaking for me strike thru or ejection doubling is an error caused by the minting process whereas double dies, for example, are true die errors.  I don't place a lot of value on strike thru or ejection doubling.  Here is a short list that I find intriguing:

1996 silver unicorn no beard
1998 silver panda quadruple die version 1 and 2
1993 silver proof double die
1994 gold unicorn 1/20 double die
2001d gold panda 1/4 ounce missing foot
1997 silver unicorn no curl
1987 gold panda missing mint mark
1992 large date high 2

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 09:20:20 PM »
It looked like debris on the coin that was struck thru. You can go to my ebay store and look at completed items to see pictures. 

I am not a fan of mint errors, I prefer owning coins that look perfect, that is why I sell them at reasonable prices.

What I do like to collect is varities, like 1993 1/20oz serif 1 and normal 1.

Offline bonke

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 12:10:18 PM »
Arif

Your most recent comment reminded me of a past purchase from you at an ANA coin show in Portland, Oregon.  Three versions of the 1996 10y bimetal panda.  The panda on each coin has distinctly different eyes.  I do not know if these differences are errors or varieties.  I do remember that the grading services have not recognized these as either an error or a variety.

Mark Bonke

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 03:12:35 PM »
Mark,
Thank you for this great topic.

Another possible type of "error coins" to consider may be die cracks.  Die cracks are common in the Imperial and Republic coins, but relatively hard to find in MCC, especially a large die crack.  This is the biggest die crack I'm aware of.  I like to see other examples. 

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=10287.0

Offline bonke

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 12:10:19 PM »
Die Cracks!  Double Dies!  Rotated Dies!  Strike Thru wire, cloth, etc!  Off-center strikes!  Mirror image descriptions (in English)!  Wrong metal descriptions!  Missing collars!  Clashed dies! The list of potential errors goes on and on.  And, personally, as a collector, I find all of these "problems" to be very interesting.  I hope this topic survives so that I may visit it and use the information to improve my knowledge of these "problems" which occur during the production of modern or old Chinese coins.

Mark Bonke

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 02:13:37 AM »
Doubled die on one of the Jianzhen brass medals.

But generally speaking, commemorative coins are subject to much more careful QA inspections. Error coins are relatively few. They are pretty common among circulating coins.