Author Topic: 2017 Hong Kong Coin Show Panda  (Read 2183 times)

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
2017 Hong Kong Coin Show Panda
« on: August 18, 2017, 06:35:38 PM »
The 2017 Hong Kong Coin Show Show Pandas were released here in HK yesterday. There is only one kind: 1 oz. silver and 40mm in diameter. Mintage is 500 pieces. Minted at the Shenyang Mint. The artist is Chang Huan. I will find out who the engraver is as soon as possible. The quality of this Show Panda is receiving high marks from everyone I spoke to about it at the show.

Here is a photo I took in my hotel room:

The price at the show is, I think, 830 HK Dollars. Table holders may buy up to 5 Show Pandas and much of the mintage has already been distributed that way. Visitors are limited to one Show Panda per person.

In all my discussions with dealers and collectors here I point out how fortunate I consider it to work with an artist of Ms. Chang's stature. Her authorship and the beauty of her designs is one of the main reasons that I think this issue is likely to be sought after by collectors in years to come. Practically all her work time is devoted to high level government projects and it is a special event for her to get leave to design an outside product.

Happy collecting to all.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

Disclosure: I was closely involved in the design and production of the 2017 Hong Kong Coin Show Pandas. However, I have no financial interest in this other than owning three pieces, two of which I purchased at the show at the same price as any other visitor. The third is a gift from a dealer friend - COA number 44, haha. I also own one of the production samples which has no COA and is not considered part of the mintage.

Disclosure 2: If anyone is wondering, I was given special permission to purchase two of the Show Pandas. I plan to resell at least one to a friend on the mainland at the same price I paid for it.

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
Re: 2017 Hong Kong Coin Show medal
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 07:05:55 PM »
Who is the distributor or promoter of this coin?   Send them a +1 from me, they really deserve credit for being ethical, pragmatic and not greedy.   I am sure you deserve some of the credit with your involvement.

They nailed every important point for a show medal to be collectible:

1) using an official mint
2) having just one variety
3) low mintage
4) affordable price and available to everyone at the show
5) great design with well know artist

Some on the forum may object to collectors being able to buy just 1, while dealers getting up to 5.  I personally think that is reasonable as long as the price offered to both is the same, because the dealer are paying $2000+ for a table at the show, so if they make a few hundred flipping a couple of medals it not all that bad, because it give dealers an incentive to come back the following show to set up and gives them more foot traffic at their table. 

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
Re: 2017 Hong Kong Coin Show Panda
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 01:49:29 AM »
Who is the distributor or promoter of this coin?   Send them a +1 from me, they really deserve credit for being ethical, pragmatic and not greedy.   I am sure you deserve some of the credit with your involvement.

The promoter is Stacks-Bowers & Ponterio and all through this project they have beem just as you said: ethical, pragmatic and not greedy.
The dealer price is just a few dollars below the public price. A dealer told me he paid $800 HK and I paid $835 as a visitor.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 09:50:46 PM »
The Hong Kong Coin Show Show Panda designed by Chang Huan. There is an article about her in the current CGCI magazine China Gold Coin Culture.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Pandaguy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 10:38:04 PM »
Thank you for the photos. Looks like Big Buddah is floating down Hong Kong Harbor. I would have preferred an expanded view of the Harbor skyline instead of all of the other surrounding artwork they included. Just my opinion.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 11:08:08 PM »
Thank you for the photos. Looks like Big Buddah is floating down Hong Kong Harbor. I would have preferred an expanded view of the Harbor skyline instead of all of the other surrounding artwork they included. Just my opinion.

In the discussions about the design there was a wish to connect Hong Kong with its cultural heritage, while also reflecting the western and eastern traditions that mix together in the city. The Tian Tan Buddha (which is modern) appealed to everyone involved. Next year a new design? Thanks for the input.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 04:02:34 PM »
This copper statue of Sakyamuni Buddha, located at H.K. is the largest in the world. It has a height of 34 meters, weighs about 250 tons and takes 3 years (1986-1989) to complete the work. Unfortunately, IMO, the designer and engraver of this medal had not done a good job in copying the statue. The drawings on the cloth which symbolizes the rank of Buddha are missing.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 06:52:26 PM »
The last photo of Buddha has a Nazi swastik on his chest.        A TV program says that is a old symbol used for many years that represents good, not evil as w/ the Nazis.      Nice statue....

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 07:56:56 PM »
It is not a Nazi swastika. But the Nazis did give a similar symbol a bad name.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 08:39:06 PM »
The last photo of Buddha has a Nazi swastik on his chest.        A TV program says that is a old symbol used for many years that represents good, not evil as w/ the Nazis.      Nice statue....

This is the symbol of Buddhism for many thousand years and can be found on the roof top of the temple or wall of the temple.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 08:46:05 PM »
In commemorating the completion of statue of Sakyamuni Buddha at H.K. in 1989, Shanghai Mint issue 1/10 and 5 oz. gold medal in 1990. The 3-dimensional details of Sakyamuni Buddha of this medal are much better than 2017 H. K. Show medal.

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 11:28:20 PM »
Yes, but for the early medal, the status was the sole focus of the design. On the 2017 medal, the focus was on a broad cityscape, and not just the statue. I would expect it to be less detailed.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 02:31:10 PM »
Yes, but for the early medal, the status was the sole focus of the design. On the 2017 medal, the focus was on a broad cityscape, and not just the statue. I would expect it to be less detailed.

I agree. IMHO, the Buddha is only one part of a larger scene in the new Hong Kong Coin Show medal. There is a balance between traditional and modern. Everyone has their own taste and preferences. I would prefer to own both.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 11:55:40 PM »
In the interests of full disclosure: to my surprise, I have become the owner of a significant quantity of the 2017 Hong Kong Coin Show Pandas. As I wrote earlier, I purchased three at retail price at the show (plus a friend gave me number 44). I never expected to own more than that, but an offer came along and now I do. What I will do with them I do not know at this time.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 11:10:49 AM »
Peter

Will you send these medals for authentication, grading and encapsulation?  Will you offer them to members of this forum or on your website?  Any idea about the price at which they will be offered?  Is there a special discount for the double death ("44") medal?

After seeing them at the coin show, I found these medals to be much more attractive than shown in your pictures.  Very, very nice design and excellent quality control during production.

Mark Bonke