Author Topic: Manchurian Provinces 20 Cents  (Read 749 times)

Offline Anthony H

• Trade Count: (0)
Manchurian Provinces 20 Cents
« on: August 16, 2017, 04:12:41 AM »
Hello! I am wondering about the value for this coin. Also, authenticity help is also needed.

Thank you!

Anthony Hui

Offline TomG

Re: Manchurian Provinces 20 Cents
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 02:19:20 PM »
Manchurian Provinces 20 cent 1914-15 (1 mace & 4.4 candareens, KM Y-213a.1) AU+ @$70-80 with center dot in five petal rosette

Reference: 5.2g, 24mm diameter, 0.7 fineness

Design features, denticles, dragon, and legends match catalog examples. Slight wear on dragon's left rear leg.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/china-provincial-manchurian-provinces-20-cents-y-213a.1-1914-15-cuid-1046967-duid-1292163

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 06:47:15 PM »
TomG;   You understand small graded Empire silver dragons.     I am learning.     I have recommended these to many, mostly the 1890-1908 20 C  Kwangtung  graded silver dragons due to their low price and dragon design.     They went from about $100 to $300 and recently have fallen back in price.      I also recommended the 1911? 15? 50 C graded Yunnan silver dragons but not much listed on ebay and much higher prices now.     There are many other silver dragons too but most are getting up there in price and are too much for my collector friends.   The other silvers like Sun Yat Sen/others do not get many bids.   
We all know Vintage coins are seeing demand in China.     China has put out a export restriction for numismatic pre 1911 too as posted here earlier by pandacollector.     This restriction has had little if any affect on Vintage that i know of at this time but that could change too.
Do you think these 100+ yr old small graded Empire silver dragons are a good buy today?    Just want to pass on info to my friends......thanks...

Offline TomG

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 01:54:07 PM »
Do you think these 100+ yr old small graded Empire silver dragons are a good buy today?

Hi Pandemonium,

No. The Chinese numismatic market operates like an art market with waxing and waning prices. Because individual tastes differ, I would not recommend large investment in commmoner, graded minor coins. The beauty and enjoyment of collecting Chinese coins partly rests in the variety and diversity plus the historical context and issues of their time. Although professional graders remove some risk of misrepresented coin specimens, being knowledgeable about an investment remains important because even the experts get fooled. Counterfeiting of grading capsules also occurs.

Chinese coin prices shall probably continue to increase. The Chinese coin market recovered from post Great Recession of 2009 prices. Buy better coins in small amounts and see if price changes are tolerable. If not, coin investment might not be suited to investor preferences.

Grading companies lack a common grading standard; they normally print a disclaimer deconnecting grade from price. Speculation in coins, especially common issues, assumes a large hoard won't be discovered and carries an additional risk of illiquidity if sale is forced on sudden notice. Finally, as in art, buy what you enjoy then fluctuations in market price remain a secondary concern.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 02:38:06 PM »
Thanks for the info.    Me and my friends have purchased just a few and remain MCC collectors.      Many tell me of the graded fakes but i trust NGC and PCGS even though they make mistakes.     There maybe hoards ready to grade when the market price moves up.   
I think the Chinese coin/medal market will become a monster so even small graded silver dragons should see gains.     Lots of choices in the Chinese market.    From my point of view it is good to diversify a bit and own a little of everything.    I even own a few common UNC notes from 2 to 3 yrs ago as they were peanuts in price.    China owns the manufacturing and gold so anything genuine Chinese money is good to own.    Many articles predict the tide will turn to China within the next few months.....