Author Topic: 2017 ANA Show Medals  (Read 4505 times)

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
2017 ANA Show Medals
« on: July 31, 2017, 12:24:54 AM »
Taking pre-orders for ANA Show Medals to be released by MCM.  If you are interested please text (608-695-0285) your name, graded or OMP and which coin you want (silver or gold) and I will send you a text the minute I get pricing and availability.  For these medals in OMP I typically sell very close to what dealers at the show are bidding plus shipping and handling.  I expect to be able to ship directly from the show.  If you want graded medals, then you will have to wait until Saturday after I get the grading results, the prices for graded ones will be slightly below market, but could be a lot higher than the OMP price earlier in the week due to extra risk I take in grading them. 

I also have a 2016 ANA 1oz gold medal NGC PF70 with show release label for $6200 if anyone is interested.   

I am at table #828 with forum member bonke.  Stop by.  Plan to have 100+ new coins back from NGC on Wednesday. 

Expecting a great show with gold up in the last week.  Seeing great activity from dealers looking to sell some inventory, only a few 1/2 and 1/4, mainly 1oz gold and silver coming into the market.

Offline collectingcoins

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 2017 ANA Show Medals
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 02:13:42 PM »
Can you share any actual pictures of the MCM or PandaAmerica Denver medal?  How is the show?  One day I'd like attend and meet folks like you and others. Thank you.

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 02:29:20 AM »
Tuesday was dealer set up in the morning followed by public being let in at 1pm.  Couple of observations:

1) dealer to dealer transactions were  strong, I was glad to sell most of my low grades, no core paper money, silver pandas to other US based dealers at reasonable and profitable prices.  I was glad to buy 14 1/2 oz.  NO mainland dealers came to the show, first time since 2009 that this has happened, it could be the stacks show in HK in 10 days that made it difficult to attend.

2) retail traffic was non existent, easily the lowest retail traffic count I can remember at a big ANA show in the first day.  Only one retail customer all day, a well known buyer on eBay.  I don't blame them for not coming, hotel prices are through the roof, car rental prices are the highest I have seen, bullion demand is at multi year lows, US mint didnt release any profitable coin at the show and internet is much cheaper way to get what you want from the comfort of your home (Amazon will take over all retail someday).

3) Panda America tri metal is nice and a steal at $40.  It comes in a mint holder that looks like a NGC holder, but no grade.  Silver less colorful, but still nice and worth $99 price.  No pieforts being offered at the show :(

4) MCM silver didn't make it in time for the first day, update was on Friday they may have 300 available for sale.  Gold is not going to be available for 2-3 weeks and will be sold via MCM website at market prices, with no special pricing for show :(

5) Items 3) and 4) got Clark, Peter A and myself into a discussion about whether a medal should be called a show commerative when no medals are actually sold at the show to the public.  We all agreed if a medal isn't sold at a show it really doesn't deserve to be called a show commerativel.  With this rule PA pieforts and MCM gold would not be considered show commeratives, not sure what name to call them.  Curious what others think.

6) Unless things change on the retail front this will be my last show I set up at, much beter to walk around and talk/buy/sell to dealers at their table than having own table.  With retail public gone, I feel like the show is more like a conference among dealers than a show open to public.

Let's see how Wednesday stacks up, have 65 coins coming back from NGC and can't what to see the grades on some of my proof coins that I purchased 6-9 years ago (I no longer look at grades online, more fun to see them live).  Strangely another invoice sent the same day isn't ready, so will have to wait till next week to get those remaining results on proof coins 1/4, 1/10 and 1/20.

Offline Agpanda

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
    • agpandas
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 04:01:13 AM »
Thanks for the report
Cant wait for next update
Agree on the coin shows medals
They should be sold at the show to earn the right to be called coin show commeratives

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 08:20:51 AM »
I would like to add to Arif's excellent account. Late in the day, after 6 p.m., the floor looked far more crowded with visitors. I had to leave, but there was still another hour of show so maybe things improved. I hope so and will ask around about that today.

I also agree that the Panda America trimetallic Show Panda is a very, very good value. The silver medal is attractive and both ought to be sold out soon. There was good interest in both the PA and MCM products. The folks at MCM looked busy fielding inquiries.

The idea that only products that were actually available at a coin show are Show Pandas makes sense to me. It is the plain meaning of the term. Medals that share the same designs, but weren't offered at the show could be called, for instance, commemorative medals — not Show Pandas.

There was a discussion among some dealers that Denver is not a big enough population center to hold the annual ANA convention. I have mixed feelings about that as it seems good for the entire field to have a numismatic presence in as much of the country as possible. Obviously, dealers come to a show to do business and they need a large attendance. I don't believe the problem is Denver, however.

Fundamentally, the American coin business is challenged to attract more people. A year ago I brought my son to a Comic-Con show in the same convention center building where the ANA show is now. The street was filled with thousands of people waiting to get in. Inside, the entire building – not just one hall – was crowded like a Hong Kong coin show. Super heroes and fantasy play are relevant to the lives and imaginations of the public. I wish coins were the same way; they need to be more like that to prosper.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 09:59:49 PM »
Thanks for the summary on the show.  How was it today?  Anyone have actual pictures of the Denver show medal?  The pictures on Panda America aren't too flattering.  Thank you.

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 11:13:30 PM »
Today I didnt buy a single coin.  Sold more low grade gold pandas to three dealers (one is forum member) at slightly below cost, but coins were ms65-68 condition, they looked great in omp.  Didn't have a single retail customer. 

On the positive side met couple of great dealers that I do mail purchases from and met editor of the goldsheet.  Tonight sold a bunch of coins to two retail customers wanting 70s and some 69s from the coins I got back from NGC today.

Attached some picutures below. Take a look at how dead the aisle is an hour after the public is allowed in.  Several dealers pointed out that Denver is not a great city to have a coin show, it was equal disaster 11 years ago when the coin show was here, let's hope the ANA board of governors use traffics data points to avoid another disaster in the future.

The PA coins are nicer in person than in the pics.  I believe they are 30 sets away from a sell out.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 12:06:56 AM »
Here is a photo of one face of the Panda America Show Panda taken at the show:

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 09:56:22 AM »
Were these medal fully minted i.e. 888 in each case? Thanks.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 11:00:17 AM »

Sorry for above typo: medal = medals!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 11:05:35 AM »
Y

Yes

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline 1003

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 11:06:42 AM »
Any updates about the MCM medals?

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 06:10:46 PM »
They started selling them at 10am on Friday, they had 300 with them and sold about 200 by 3pm, many to dealers and some to collectors.  The 300 will have special ANA release label.

Retail traffic picked up on Friday, made two sales to new customers.  Several prior customers visited Thursday and Friday. Couple of dealers that sell to me that I have never visited stopped by Thursday and Friday, which kept me busy all day.  Online sales were very strong Wednesday and Thursday night. Overall it was great week to sell to other dealers looking for inventory prior to HK and collectors online needing certain coins to fill gaps.  From a buying prespective the show was a disappointment, only bought on Tuesday morning during dealer set up and nothing else all show.  The supply of pandas is back on its multi year decline that started in 2012 with small bursts in 2015 and spring 2017.  The business of buying and selling is coming to an end, as the amount of new supply is so limited that it doesn't even warrant looking for coins.

The supply of bullion is at multi year highs, the word is many IRA holders are dumping to buy stocks, so the market is getting flooded with IRA friendly gold.  This is partly why 2017 gold and silver eagles sales are so bad at the Mint, plenty of prior year material to buy at lower premiums.

This year convinced me the tipping point is finally here, US show duration and numbers will decline in the years to come.  Online sales will lead the way to the future, so grading will become more important.  Also having multiple medals tied to the show will hopefully stop if collectors avoid the new issues, several customers from last year decide not to buy this year.

Offline 1003

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 09:19:01 PM »
What was the  show price of the mcm silver medal?

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 10:03:41 PM »
I've been doing some research on show pandas, and it appears the prices for the modern pieces have slid considerably over time on most of them. A perfect example is the Anaheim 1 oz silver. I bought 1 PF70 for around 219.00 and I thought that was a good price. Then I went and looked at how much they are selling for on ebay. The mintage for the 1 oz is 2000.

We now have two dealers selling a variety of show medals from the Denver ANA. One has a mintage of 5000.  I imagine MCM's Denver medals should be selling for 70.00.  Anything higher, it appears I need to wait around 8-12 months and prices should decline? I'm happy I was able to come here and get an objective point of view on both sides of the coin. Thanks a lot!