Author Topic: Hi.. Can you help me with this coin?  (Read 450 times)

Offline Ardy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
Hi.. Can you help me with this coin?
« on: July 01, 2017, 01:24:21 AM »
Good Day!

I have a coin here and im not sure if it has a value...

Kind you please take a look at these images.

In case the images are broken you can check it here.
https://pasteboard.co/3F60XekQe.jpg
https://pasteboard.co/3F6OeZ9Cc.jpg

Thank you and more power!

Offline TomG

Re: Hi.. Can you help me with this coin?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 10:47:34 AM »

Offline Ardy

• New
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 06:16:02 AM »
Thank you for your reply, but I don't understand what the link you gave me, it doesn't have information about the value of this coin.

Offline TomG

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 02:29:31 PM »
Hello Ardy,

Souvenir tokens and medals are non-negotiable goods classified as exonumia. They represent no face or intrinsic value in exchange for goods and services.

It is not money. No published price schedule is widely available for this particular medal. You might start at $10USD and depending on the customer traffic, you might trade it for more or less in currency.

Currency or money, in contrast, exists for exchange of goods and service. Its value is backed by government or institutional authorities.

So the value of a silver or brass token depends on the bullion value, craftsmanship and availability accepted by whomever might want to trade for it. Intangible factors like context also factor into desirability, i.e. can you find an audience that collects souvenir medals? You can try Etsy or eBay or some other market. EBay has an exonumia medals section for instance. You will want to craft your advertisement for appeal to collectors, dealers or travelers who desire it.

For example, the pictured Hong Kong token appeals Asia-philes and collectors of dragon-themes.

One more thought: published price schedules are guides and actual sales price sometimes bear little resemblance to realized prices. Look over comparison items in the market you will be offering the medal and price it at a level with which you are comfortable selling it.