Author Topic: NCS thoughts  (Read 931 times)

Online tater

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
NCS thoughts
« on: June 20, 2017, 12:28:58 PM »
So I have a 1999 and 1991 1/4 oz gold panda that I want to send in to NCS they have a red spot or two on them.  My question is I also have 2005 and 2007 1/2 oz gold pandas in OMP that look good, is their any advantage to sending them in.  The fact they are in OMP should have some value, right.  In need them to grade at least a 69 to break even in my mind and the odds of a 70 is always a gamble.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Re: NCS thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 03:10:27 PM »
It's always a personal thing. Some like OMP; if that's you then best to keep in OMP. I don't trust old issue OMPs based on personal experience and rarely buy them now. I just buy graded coins. Some experienced collectors are able to figure out the grade by looking at the coin +/-1 points. Those might buy it from you but I don't know that early issue OMPs command a premium over graded coins. But I have scored an MS70 on a 1995 1/10oz OMP (Thanks GoldenLord!) so it's always possible.

Others may have alternative views!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Online tater

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 03:18:33 PM »
I picked up a nice 1998 1/10 in OMP with a certificate label on it, not sure if I send that one in either.  I don;t think that master set builders care, not that any of the coins that I have are keys, but when online I try to buy graded just like you said my skills at grading pandas are not perfect.  I still lack the experience. 

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 07:20:38 PM »
Coins that should be sent to NCS are those that have obvious defects or problems that can be corrected through conservation techniques. If you send a coin that looks fantastic through NCS, they will likely not do anything to the coin yet you will still be charged for their evaluation.

Online tater

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 04:32:44 PM »
So what's everyone's opinion on sending in the 200 yuan 2005 and the 10 yuan 1999 into be graded if the are currently in omp. 

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 05:07:48 PM »
In the current market, you can probably get the exact same price for them in OMP as you would if they were graded MS69, assuming you are selling to a master set builder.

If you will sell to a U.S. or European based collector, they may desire NGC slabbing.

Really depends on what your exit strategy is  . . . .

Online tater

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 06:14:13 PM »
I have no access to master builders.  I would have to sell a demestic buyer.

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 06:19:42 PM »
There are many buyers on this forum who sell to (or "help") the master set builders. You have access to both types of buyers here.

Online KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 12:56:06 AM »
It is pretty simple, if you want to sell your coins to a dealer, then OMP is best, if you want to sell your coins to a collector then NGC MS69 or MS70 is best, if it grades MS67 or MS68 you are back to selling to a dealer. 

90% of my purchases are OMP coins, 5% are PCGS MS69 coins (which I crack out and submit raw to NGC) and 5% are NGC MS69 which I reholder at NGC or get conserved, since most graded coins that collectors sell have eye appeal problems.  The reason I prefer to buy OMP is many graded coins that are sold to dealers suffer from toning, hazing, frost breaks, scratched holders, so why bother paying any premium for coins that collectors are often selling simply, because they looks bad.  If I have MS69 coin that looks bad I sell it to a dealer, while collectors get my nicest coins, because they plan to look at the coin and someday when they decide to sell I want to buy back nice coins not the reject MS69 coins.

Offline dkhalsa

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 02:15:20 PM »
Wow
Well said Maestro!

Offline Rarityhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 10:41:15 PM »
It's funny that in the old days, NGC graded panda with AU58......