Author Topic: Remembering Nick Brown  (Read 2337 times)

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Remembering Nick Brown
« on: May 08, 2017, 02:16:26 PM »
This May makes it four years since Nick Brown, the owner of Majestic Rarities and the heart and soul of a good part of the modern Chinese coin trade, passed away. For anyone who knew him, he is missed. For everyone else interested in modern Chinese coins, all I can say is that the world would be a better place if he were here.

http://numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=26994

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Remembering Nick Brown
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 05:45:29 PM »
I had the privilege of briefly meeting Nick at a FUN show. I bought a graded 2007 Anniversary Panda set from him at a great price. I asked about the box ,and he said he would mail it to me. We both forgot about it. A 1+ year later, I sent him an email and reminded him. He was so apologetic and he delivered on his promise. It probably cost him $40-$50 to ship it. In my mind, I thought this man has a lot of integrity to deliver on his word after so much time. He could have ignored me or said too much has passed. This business needs many dealers with Nick's integrity and knowledge. Thanks Peter for being such a loyal friend. It says a lot about you.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 08:09:53 PM »
God bless him ...He IS missed

Offline dannypeer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 09:17:08 PM »
Good morning...thank you Peter Anthony for sending me an email with a link to this special page. 

Last week my son had lunch with Nick's sister, Cynthia.  Also last week my wife and I had lunch with Cynthia and Nick's mother, Helen.  Nick's mother is 89 years old.   

I think of Nick regularly....and I often "talk" to him...and "debate" him in my head about the coin market.  I continue to wonder if he would have jumped into the yearly gold panda year sets....or would have  continued pushing the non-panda 5 oz, 20 oz and Kilo gold coins that crashed.  Drew thinks he would have jumped in and attempted to push me to sell my coins to him.  I laugh thinking about how that would go down!!! To this day I love my significant holdings of key yearly pandas....I love making "piles" of them based on how Nick spent hours organizing them...great memories!   

I did tell Nick's family that I am selling my rare 1991-911/964 Porsche ...Nick was with me at a dinner in the fall of 2006 when we "tag-teamed" another great friend in making fun of car he was selling and then after many drinks I ended up buying it myself only to keep in storage since!!!!  It's time to move on and save the memories in my heart and with tons of photos/emails!!!!  Thanks again Peter for sending me the link to this forum subject.     

Danny Spungen
Why Not Collectibles & www.spungenfoundation.org

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 07:56:11 AM »
Nick passed just after i started collecting.       Did he have a list of Chinese to collect?.......

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 08:33:21 AM »
Nick passed just after i started collecting.       Did he have a list of Chinese to collect?.......

Not that I know of, but he favored larger size coins. He often said that a big coin is more enjoyable than a small one because you can see and appreciate the design better. That didn't stop him from owning smaller coins, but he liked larger ones.

Nick also wrote an excellent blog on his website. Unfortunately, that is no longer functional. I made copies of all the blogs, but don't have permission to republish them at this time. I hope they will be available in the future because his approach and philosophy about coin collecting was timeless.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline trozau

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 09:34:00 AM »
I did not know nor was I aware of Nick Brown but he sounds like a great guy. I used to live in Central Florida and never missed FUN show back in the 90s. If he did FUN at that time and specialized in Pandas and MCC, I probably stopped by to checkout and admire his coins (even though I would not be able to afford those large coins).
trozau (troy ounce gold)
honi soit qui mal y pense

gold - the barbarous relic!

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 12:35:15 PM »
I liked Nick very much. I had very pleasant and satisfied transactions with him. His focus was more on collecting than trading, so each transaction came with a lot of good discussion and advice. He is missed.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 12:43:12 PM »
The  Philadelphia ANA  show years back  ...... Nick had a huge display of large gold panda,s ,Uni,s etc  it would knock your eyes out :)  like Peter said in his article it looked like a museum. I wish I took pictures!!  simply stunning ........... its nice to remember him ...I bought coins from Nick always a flawless transaction ..in fact i bought my  1996 15th anniversary panda gold set from him at that show  I will never sell it :)  my kids will have to......................   what a guy!   

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 01:49:23 AM »
These are from the 2011 ANA convention in Chicago, Nick's home town. Unfortunately, I was so busy taking photos of Nick's coins that I only shot a few frames of the displays. For those who never met him, this at least gives some idea of how Nick Brown presented his coins.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer's Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 02:48:13 AM »
Wowsers, that is one amazing set up. With a display like that, I'd have trouble leaving my set up to go buy lunch.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 06:40:22 AM »
:)

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 07:08:56 AM »
Peter

Thanks for posting the picture of Nick Brown.

If I remember correctly, Nick was instrumental in the development of the oversized holders at NGC.  Some of his NGC encapsulated coins (with information on the edge of the coin) had crudely cut out areas along the edge of the plastic insert in oversized holders so that a person could see the information (such as the coin number).  As a collector, this one development has permitted me to collect large copper, brass and silver coins and medals which have been authenticated, graded and encapsulated to protect them from my mishandling and environmental concerns.  I doubt whether I would have collected any of these items if the oversized holders had not been developed.  Thanks Nick.

Mark Bonke