Author Topic: The Passing of Benjamin Bell  (Read 899 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
The Passing of Benjamin Bell
« on: April 16, 2017, 04:02:26 PM »
When I would go to big coin shows, I would mainly focus my attention on about a dozen tables that carried non-US material.  One of those was the Civitas Galleries table that was manned for years by Benjamin Bell.  They carried a variety of coins of the world and some Chinese material.  Although I can't say I knew Ben well, we would recognize each other, and I enjoyed looking at their material and chatting with Ben.  I found him to be quite knowledgeable, and also fair in negotiation.  Last year, he moved from Civitas Galleries to World Numismatics.  In checking the website of World Numismatics today, I was stunned to see that he died last week, of cancer.  Only 41 years old!  (see announcement below and click on the link to see his photo, as you might recognize him from your coin show visits).  What a sad loss  :(  It is another reminder to take advantage of each day because our life on this world is limited.

https://worldnumismatics.com/

"Benjamin Bell
March 8, 1976 – April 10, 2017

Memories of a good friend... I recently moved to Arizona to work full time at World Numismatics’ headquarters. These past few weeks have been very exciting for us yet that joy has been clouded by the recent passing of our colleague Benjamin Bell. Ben passed away on Monday, April 10, after a long, hard fought battle with cancer, his loving family at his side. Well educated in traditional historic studies, Ben worked as a numismatist at Classical Numismatic Group and was the co-founder, co-owner and President of Civitas Galleries, Ltd. In a world where many numismatists have grudges against one or more of their colleagues, Ben was one of only a very few loved and respected by everyone, and was duly considered one of the rising stars in professional numismatics. By our great many conversations, I can attest to his deep love of coins, extensive knowledge and impeccable work ethics. He was snatched far too soon from the coin world, and will be dearly missed. Our thoughts and prayers are with his parents, Rob and Rebecca and his sister Rachel.
Carlos Jara"

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
Re: The Passing of Benjamin Bell
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 04:21:30 PM »
I knew Ben well, his store was only a few miles from my home and I would get a text from every couple of weeks with MCC.  He got sick a few years ago and bounced back nicely, it is sad the cancer came back.  He was a pleasure to do business with and very nice guy.