Author Topic: a round of selling off and buying in facing a lot uncertainty  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Rarityhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Seeing a relatively larger number of rare silver coins, 20 oz, 5oz silver coin sold thru online auctions for last few months.
Also a few sets of children at play, bronze age findings. Not sure it's normal or some lose patient in this investment.
Anyway MCC is not government bonds with certain returns, not that easy to trade as stocks.

Gold seems to be on the rise in an increasingly uncertain world.

Offline ccl

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Chinese Coins Live, LLC.
Re: a round of selling off and buying in facing a lot uncertainty
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 02:52:34 PM »
it's normal I think. True, not as easy to trade as stocks. That said, you could see it as one the easiest tangible assets to trade.

Also, not everyone who sells moves the capital outside of Chinese coins. Many will sell only to reinvest in other Chinese coins or sets.

With thousands of coins and sets to choose from and now data from us and census reports, the information is there to develop real senses and gut instincts as to what is undervalued. Not only in real terms ($/ CNY), but also relative to other MCC/ Chinese coins.

Offline Rarityhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 10:11:47 PM »
Thanks Richard! Free to sell/trade is quite important for an investment vehicle. What I thought to the good sight for the recent sale is the price is relatively stable, instead of what had been seen in 2012, when the market was retreating from 2010-2011 peak, each sale brought down the price bit by bit.

Comparing to most of the equivalent in the west, MCC is an unique market climbing much higher. The game is more interesting now, as those selling off in mainland China could be US source, domestic Chinese source or European source. It makes interpreting more difficult. The Chinese realestate market was on fire for last few years, which drained a lot of cash. It'll be awful if it's to collapse. If that happens, what it'll trigger will be large in scale. Japan seems to be an example.

Offline ccl

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Chinese Coins Live, LLC.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 10:55:12 PM »
Yes, I think it looks much better right now.

Capital restrictions in China imposed on money leaving the country make it a particularly high risk time to consign there. As such, I'd speculate that an overwhelming majority of sales from top Chinese auction houses must be Asian consignments.