Author Topic: Chart of the Week #5: 1 Year Price Performance  (Read 846 times)

Offline ccl

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Chinese Coins Live, LLC.
Chart of the Week #5: 1 Year Price Performance
« on: February 28, 2017, 03:24:56 PM »
This is just a screenshot of an interactive chart on CCL.

Silver has been on a bit of tear. Here we took a random gold, silver and circulating coin in a frequently traded condition to compare.

You can see the key top of graphic, hope you enjoy!

Offline eric

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
Re: Chart of the Week #5: 1 Year Price Performance
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 05:12:12 PM »
Not entirely sure what to make of it but it is interesting. The 3 coins do seem to have some correlation, especially a simultaneous surge in Sept-Oct followed by a quick decline. the 1979 IYC silver proof seems to be underperforming for quite awhile now, looking at the bottom of the chart going back to 2012. I find that interesting considering that it's a fairly rare coin with a wide range of potential collectors due to those collecting the IYC series of coins from around the world (The China IYC is one of the rarest). My personal guess would be that its underperformance is due in part to it being an "older" MCC (1979) that had already run through a cycle of demand and is now on the backburner as not a lot of new collectors are taking up the IYC series which ran from 1979-1982. (Whereas for comparison-- the Panda series is still being released each year, so new collectors are joining all the time, adding more demand for the older ones)

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Chart of the Week #5: 1 Year Price Performance
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 05:57:12 PM »
Thank you for sharing CCL and thank you for your analysis Eric. I think he is trying to demonstrate the features on CCL and used these coins as an example.