Author Topic: CATTE aluminum Feng Yunming set  (Read 7209 times)

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
Re: CATTE aluminum Feng Yunming set
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 09:43:20 PM »
IMO, the design of 12 medals set was not original. It was copied from post cards and stamps issued in 1973 in commemorating the Beijing Exhibition of unearthed artworks. Attached are pictures of post cards and stamps.

Many reproduction of those medals are being sold in the package of 4, 6 and 12 medals inside China, especially in the City of Xi-an, the place of those artworks unearthed. They are nicely packed in the package similar to those posted in this thread.

I do own 1979 2-coin 14 gm silver set in commemorating the exhibition of Chinese painting in H.K. The set was designed by Feng Yunming and made by a private mint in Beijing.

Offline eric

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 10:37:07 PM »
Cool pictures. That is a very interesting look at what appears to be the source material for the aforementioned medal designs! Clearly some of those designs were copied very closely. The concepts and subjects themselves are certainly not original to the medals. However from an art/design standpoint IMO that doesn't necessarily make the medal design unoriginal.

This is somewhat semantic, but I think it's a relevant point to the discussion of the medals.Those postcards and stamps are reproductions of photos and paintings of much older pieces of art. In that regard, those media are not the originators of the designs either, but they have depicted three dimensional art forms (such as a sculpture of a horse) in two dimensional media (such as a stamp). For a stamp collector, that wouldn't make a stamp any less valuable, as it's a new piece of art in itself.

Likewise, the engraver of these medals translated the images to medal format. IMO the engraver who had the creativity and ability to choose those designs and put them onto medals is still an originator of the medal design. However, I would also say that his adherence to and reliance upon the source material would support fwang's assertion that Feng's work is not necessarily known best for its artistic value.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 01:04:40 AM »
Since you view Feng medals of possibly not having importance, would you be interested in selling the set you have in the photo for a fair low price?   :confused1:     Please keep me in mine.......
I did not say his medals did not have importance. I said exaggeration of the importance was not justified. They are important as pioneers/experiments of modern Chinese medals. Basically he attempted this art form all by himself before 1980, when there was a market need for such medals as souvenirs. But when China Mint artists caught up starting in 1979, he gradually faded out.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 01:33:09 AM »
Let's dig a little deeper into this topic. After the Cultural Revolution, China was eager to open up and develop diplomatic relations/friendship with other countries. Apart from the well-known Ping Ping Diplomacy, there was an attempt at “cultural relic" diplomacy. Unearthed relics went on government sponsored exhibitions in many countries in the name of "The Exhibition of Archaeological Finds of the People's Republic of China", starting in France in 1973, going through Japan, England, Romania, Austria, Sweden, Mexico, Canada, the US and a few other countries, ending up in Hong Kong in 1978. The silver set from Feng Yunming was made for the Hong Kong leg of the exhibition. There was also a 1.5 oz gold medal, and an enamel one, which are shown below.

It is likely that the same dies or their modified versions were used for other purposes such as souvenir shops or other exhibitions.

Offline Hippanda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 02:43:05 AM »
Thank you for the added info.  Always good to see your contributions to the understanding of the "early modern" pieces.
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 08:03:52 AM »
IMO, the design of 12 medals set was not original. It was copied from post cards and stamps issued in 1973 in commemorating the Beijing Exhibition of unearthed artworks. Attached are pictures of post cards and stamps.

Many reproduction of those medals are being sold in the package of 4, 6 and 12 medals inside China, especially in the City of Xi-an, the place of those artworks unearthed. They are nicely packed in the package similar to those posted in this thread.

I do own 1979 2-coin 14 gm silver set in commemorating the exhibition of Chinese painting in H.K. The set was designed by Feng Yunming and made by a private mint in Beijing.

These medals are being reproduced today?     One of the dealers in China is looking for these medals but did not mention they are being reproduced.     He is having a hard time finding them.    Sure hope the medals listed on this post are genuine.     This needs more attention so i will ask around.      The art work is very unusual for me.    Why the bird w/ circle?    Many other questions too.    The more i look at Feng's medals, the more questions and the more interesting they are.     Strange but fascinating is early Chinese art.     Beautiful and unique.      Sadly there is so little information on early years.    These medals started in 1973 in France then on to other countries?   Are they all the same or different?     I wish members here and collectors/dealers in China would write a book or publication on Feng.     That would be a publication that would command attention from MCC fans.......  (OK Fwang, so much for my attempt to grab your beautiful set!)......

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »

(OK Fwang, so much for my attempt to grab your beautiful set!)......
Some more information about this set by Feng. The designs were taken from images on the end eaves tiles from the Western Han Dynasty. (I am showing some pictures of the end eaves tile and how it is used below.) Instead of leaving a blank tile face, various patterns, calligraphy and images were imprinted to make them look artistic and decorative. The four images on Feng's medals are the four "divine animals", which govern four directions/positions. They are: blue dragon in the East, white tiger in the West, black tortoise in the North, and red bird in the South.

This looks like a souvenir set for visitors to the Xianyang City, which was the capital of the Western Han Dynasty. Several mausoleums of emperors from that dynasty are located around the city, making it a popular tourist attraction. The mintage of this set should be pretty high, but I have seen only one set on eBay.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 02:39:56 PM »
Here are some more pictures of Feng's set modeled on the four divine animals on the end eave tiles from the Western Han Dynasty. The tortoise is actually a combination of tortoise and snake.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 03:33:22 PM »
Just for information

1979 12-medal silver set of unearthed artworks was auctioned inside China (Beijing) in June, 2013 with an estimated value of RMB 1500. The silver medal weighs 10 gm/each. The auction was ended with no bidder. The set has COA (#2015) and original box. The mintage of this set is 3000.

http://auction.artxun.com/paimai-98590-492947832.shtml

Here is another auction inside China on 5/16/2016 for 1974 silver and copper medal set made by Toye Kenning & Spencer in commemorating the Exhibition of Cultural Relics Unearthed in China at UK in 1974.

http://auction.artron.net/paimai-art0055881694/

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 03:58:55 PM »
Fwang, those tile medals are some of the strangest i have seen.    I wonder how they came up w/ those designs way back when......

Poconopen, the 79 Archaeological 12 silver set did not sell in 2013?    4 yrs later to today, there are many looking for these Feng sets and none can be found.   A top collector/member here has been searching and can only find singles rarely in the US and in Asia......

I was contacted by another collector that has a Souvenir gilt set.    That is 3 of those sets that i know of.    I have the 1 CATTE gilt set and MAYBE a collector has another.     Lots of people are looking for these sets now.     Ebay has 3 Feng silver sets, 2 are Chinese Painting and 1 is Lu Xun.   Will keep a eye on them.......

I am a moth, Chinese Art is the light!....

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 04:00:01 PM »
Just for information

1979 12-medal silver set of unearthed artworks was auctioned inside China (Beijing) in June, 2013 with an estimated value of RMB 1500. The silver medal weighs 10 gm/each. The auction was ended with no bidder. The set has COA (#2015) and original box. The mintage of this set is 3000.

http://auction.artxun.com/paimai-98590-492947832.shtml

Here is another auction inside China on 5/16/2016 for 1974 silver and copper medal set made by Toye Kenning & Spencer in commemorating the Exhibition of Cultural Relics Unearthed in China at UK in 1974.

http://auction.artron.net/paimai-art0055881694/

To use one auction by a little known auction house as the price point does not seem to be fair. I would happily buy the silver set for twice the auction price. Recent eBay auctions of the set have been in the $500-800 range.

Offline ccl

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Chinese Coins Live, LLC.
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 07:30:07 PM »
Lots of people are looking for these sets now.

Would you mind setting the record straight on what you mean by lots of people? 5, 50, 500, 5000? Thanks

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 09:17:18 PM »
500 million!     About 7 have sent personal email to me.     About 3 to 4 on badon's forum wants a set too but did not send a personal email.     Lets call it 10.     I think that number could be higher/lower depending on price.   Another member here messaged me and has a Souvenir gilt set but refuses to consider selling it.   He ain't stupid and will be anonymous unless he wishes to post.    He is looking to buy so he gets the picture and probably sells as many MCC as you do.    You may not believe this but there are collectors on this forum that are Feng fans like me.    I wish someone would list one on ebay so we could see selling price and number of bids.    The past selling price of these sets is close to $50.   Do you have one for sale?.......

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 09:46:51 PM »
Emails and photos keep coming in.    Here is another CATTE aluminum medal.   I was told aluminum was the rarest.    I have 5 of them and this Rhino too......  Photos belong to anonymous member here and he has only one aluminum.......The CATTE medals in gilt brass or aluminum reverse are different from Souvenir medals.    Souvenir medals look like the 79 Archaeological silver set medals....

Offline Clark Smith

• Supporter
  • See our coins at www.coinvault.com
    • Clark Smith
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2017, 11:07:39 PM »
Anybody know what this medal is ?    It came with one of "The Souvenir for Chinese Excavation" sets.....
Seems to be gold plated brass....