Author Topic: NGC vs PCGS  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Gadermayr

• Trade Count: (0)
NGC vs PCGS
« on: December 14, 2016, 03:39:14 PM »
NGC is prefered for chinese coins. Also NGC prices are higher, what would be the reason.

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
Re: NGC vs PCGS
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 10:01:05 PM »
For Modern Chinese coins the following are the reasons.  For pre-1949 coins the opposite may be true.

1) NGC holders are less likely to tone the coins. Many PCGS holdered coins develop haze and toning after 6 months to a year of storage. 
2) In 2011 PCGS arbitrarily changed its guarantee from full coin market value to $1000 max for modern chinese coins, unless the coin was reholdered to secure plus, at the time it cost me around $25/coin to reholder coins into secure plus.  Today the guarantee is dealer replacement cost.   
3) The cost for NGC services is less than PCGS.
4) The turnaround time for NGC grading is half that of PCGS.
5) NGC customer service is easily 2x-3x better than PCGS when you have problem.
6) NGC recommends when NCS services are beneficial without paying an evaluation fee if the coins are sent directly to NGC. 
7) IMHO grading standards at NGC are higher than PCGS.  This was not always the case pre-2010 PCGS was tougher, post 2011 NGC became tougher. 
8) 95% of mainland buyer and 90% of US buyers prefer NGC graded coins to PCGS for gold pandas.

Pre-2011 about 15% of my collection/inventory was PCGS, today it is less than 0.4% for the reasons outlined above.  Hope to be down to 0% by end of 2017. 

Offline tater

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 11:47:04 PM »
I believe that it is consistency within the grade assigned. 

Offline 1003

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 10:22:38 PM »
To some people, the PCGS slabs look cheap. I am one of them.

Offline Rarityhunter

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 05:31:57 AM »
Both are not that great, but the market likes NGC for modern Chinese coins.
The bloody NGC didn't have insurance to cover the parcel that they sent back by international registered mail.
A few years ago, one of my shipment got lost when it reached New York, apparently some bad guy stole it.
That's what monopoly means.

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 05:49:00 AM »
I am almost 100% positive that NGC insures all packages up to the value you placed on the submission form.  If you place a low value on coins for grading purposes to save some feed and the package gets lost..,,is that NGC 's fault?

Offline Rarityhunter

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 06:01:29 AM »
Chris, That's only for domestic registered mail in US.

It was back a few years ago, they wrote no Fedex express shipping on the form, unless you have a fedex account. I should have asked and confirmed with them about the shipping policy. No matter how much you put on the submission form, for international shipping, you might get 50bucks from USPS if the parcel is lost. Mine was submitted thru NCS, but anyway they're within the same company.

A dealer in Shanghai lost a parcel which is worth of more than US25K during that period of time.

Offline Rarityhunter

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 06:18:28 AM »
Now NGC has graders in Shanghai, this kind of risk became history. It's still a monopoly business. What I learned from that is never taking anything for granted. I thought they have insurance to cover oversea submission as well. The reality and expectation is not always the same.