Author Topic: Biggest medal you sent for grading  (Read 894 times)

Offline Stark

• Trade Count: (0)
Biggest medal you sent for grading
« on: November 16, 2016, 04:51:17 AM »
Hi folks,

I know or at least I read in a few places that in Asia people prefer to have raw medals, whereas in the "West" people prefer to grade and slab them. Also some say that slabbing big coins or medals doesn't make any sense, but I'm curious if somebody ever sent for grading very big medal, let's say 100mm or more in diameter?

Thanks.

Offline silberschatzimsee

Re: Biggest medal you sent for grading
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 05:56:54 AM »
Hi folks,

I know or at least I read in a few places that in Asia people prefer to have raw medals, whereas in the "West" people prefer to grade and slab them. Also some say that slabbing big coins or medals doesn't make any sense, but I'm curious if somebody ever sent for grading very big medal, let's say 100mm or more in diameter?

Thanks.

By west you mean USA. Europe doesnt like grading either. :)

Offline Stark

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 07:12:43 AM »
 N49:) Yes, you are probably correct. I was actually thinking to put "Americans" in brackets besides "West".:) Far more Americans are sending stuff to e.g. NGC than Europeans.

I sent a few things for grading. Coins/medals that I like more and want to have better "protection" and some things I will maybe sell. I think process for submitting could be simplified, but that's another topic.:)

Offline Rarityhunter

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 11:41:03 AM »
Many times coins bought from Europe have finger prints on them and other scratches.  A risk when purchase from online auctions.

I think what Stark talked about raw medals, those are the brass one, which has a coating that sights of handling is hard to see.
People like to hold those without wearing groves.
Other modern gold or silver medals, slabbed ones are more welcomed.

Offline eric

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 07:18:36 PM »
I've never submitted any huge ones, but I've bought as big as 1kg coins/medals in slabs. As far as it "making sense"... I personally think it makes sense for the sake of protecting and preserving it. Those big medals do tend to end up with fingerprints and scratches on them, so I like to see them in a slab, but that's just a personal preference*.

*I'm American

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 11:31:19 PM »
I think the difficulty for the TPG companies slabbing some of the larger Chinese medals is more about the thickness than the diameter.  NGC Mega holders can allegedly accommodate up to 180mm diameter coins but with some large thick Chinese medals, the 28mm thickness maximum of that holder means that they wouldn't be able to encapsulate some of the Chinese medals.