Author Topic: New Hong Kong Coin Show Panda  (Read 5825 times)

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Re: New Hong Kong Coin Show Panda
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2016, 12:03:41 PM »
I think this Hong Kong panda is definitely less official since  its COA does not even mention which mint it comes from but certainly, it comes from one of the four mints in China. The 2016 Hong Kong panda is promoted by a company called Shouxi back in China. It also plays another trick on their webpages, stating that the actual mintage is 570 even though the COA says 888.

First, the Hong Kong Coin Show medal is not from "one of the four mints in China." If this is about government mints then there are five that strike medals: Shanghai, Shenzhen Guobao, Shenyang, Nanjing and Chengdu. There are numerous private mints that can also produce good quality work, but they have no connection to the government. All their products are unofficial. The Hong Kong Coin Show medal is a product of one if these private mints. One on the outskirts of Shanghai, if memory serves.

My recollection of the  reason that there were 570 struck instead of the expected total was a technical problem like a broken die. They just decided to call it quits after that. I don't believe there is anything deceitful in that. It has happened before at official mints, too.

Disclosure: I have absolutely no connection to this medal in any way except that I know and interviewed the gentleman who comissioned it.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2016, 01:00:35 PM »
Do you know why they choose to use private mint vs government mint. 

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2016, 05:27:24 PM »
Do you know why they choose to use private mint vs government mint.

No, I don't, however a private mint is much easier to work with. A government mint may have capacity constraints and policy constraints that a private mint does not, or has to a lesser degree. Price may be an issue as well, although I doubt that matters for the Hong Kong Coin Show issue.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2016, 08:11:06 AM »
A coin forum member raised the issue of the price (at the coin show) for the gold and silver 2016 Hong Kong Coin show medals.  I did not remember and sent an email to Chen Haomin (the CEO of Coin In Coin Collectables, Inc.).  Within the last few hours, he responded to my request for information.  He had just returned home from the big coin show at the National Convention Center in Beijing.

I still do not know the price offered at the coin show for the raw/ungraded medals in OMP.

I do know Chen Haomin has sent some of the medals to NGC for authentication, grading and encapsulation.  He has 8 gold medals with prices of $2900 for NGC 69s and $3100 for NGC 70s.  Also, he has 132 silver medals with prices of $90 for NGC 67s, $110 for NGC 68s and $130 for NGC 69s.  If you are interested in these medals, you must contact him directly at wajb008@163.com.  His mailing address is Coin In Coin Collectables, 3rd Floor, Dongmingzuan, Zhongshan Si Road, Guangzhou.

I do not know the census numbers for these medals.  My gold medals graded 2-70 and 1-69. 

When I purchased my gold medals, I contacted Chen Haomin at the above-mentioned email address and we exchanged emails until we had worked out the details and I made my purchase.  It is a little more difficult to do business with someone in the PRC, but Chen Haomin is a very nice person and I have enjoyed having the opportunity to get to know him.

Mark Bonke