Author Topic: please help identify this currency / bond #2  (Read 1223 times)

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
please help identify this currency / bond #2
« on: October 18, 2016, 01:38:26 PM »
This is a second note or bond which I have been unable to identify in Krause or Smith / Matravers.  Any information will be appreciated.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
Re: please help identify this currency / bond #2
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 03:54:07 PM »
Again, this is note issued by a private money store (義成號) located in 益都, not too far from the town mentioned in your note previously posted.

Interestingly, the note is for 2吊, but also mentioned as equivalent  to 98 copper cash coins.

Offline bonke

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 04:09:58 PM »
Thanks again for this information.  I did not realize there were so many privately issued notes (and with such a high value).  Very interesting!

Based on your information, I doubt whether I will find Pick or S/M numbers for either of these notes.  Without this information, PMG will not authenticate, grade and encapsulate them.  Smith & Matravers does list notes from some private banks, but I do not think they list notes from private money stores.

Mark Bonke

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 05:02:53 PM »
Just want to show the special Chinese character used by book-keeper in China for private money store about 100 years ago. The Chinese character inside the marked red square means 98.

Here is the link to a similar note.

http://www.sgnet.cc/news/201309/23/548115.shtml

Offline bonke

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 05:49:49 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I looked at the note in your link and noticed the similarities.  Strange to have a corner denomination of 2 and a reference to a value of 98 copper coins.  If I lived during this time period, I would have taken the 98 coins immediately.  With uncertain circumstances, the coins would be easier to preserve than this piece of paper (from a private money store).

Mark Bonke