Author Topic: Yet another fake ?  (Read 3063 times)

Offline starfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Yet another fake ?
« on: October 18, 2016, 09:20:04 AM »
Hi to all,

What do you think about this object : coin, jetton, fake or whatever ?

Weight = 5.08 grams - diameter = 24 mm - metal pretty looks like silver.

Thanks for your help.

Offline starfish

Re: Yet another fake ?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 11:14:00 AM »
Hi to all,

In addition to my questioning about this object, I submitted it also to a French forum. I got answers suggesting that this coin could be originated from Taiwan, due to the presence of plum flowers which are said to be the symbol of Taiwan.

Does this ring a bell to any of you ?

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 07:17:17 PM »
Is it a Yunnan silver?    I see them on ebay selling for high prices in comparison to Kwangtung silver as a example.   If it is genuine, it is a good one to own......

Offline starfish

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 05:18:45 AM »
Hi pandamonium,

Sorry, I am totally ignorant about chinese coins or fakes. I purchased a few ones on auction sites but was fooled until now with (nice looking) fakes. Maybe this time ???

Can you be more specific with what you mean with Yunnan silver or Kwantung silver ? I have absolutely no knowledge about that. All I know is thta this coin or whatever really looks loke silver.

Thanks for your help.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 08:41:45 AM »
I do not know much about empire silver.    Ebay Search to "Yunnan silver".     Add a UNC or uncirculated if you think it is.    Several are for sale.   Yours could be a 20 cent.  You can also ebay Search to "Kwangtung silver" and they seem more affordable.     I watch sales sometimes and the Yunnan has higher prices/demand........If genuine then it has value.   I have not heard of fake Yunnan silver but it is possible........You can also send it in for grading for authenticity and graded commands a higher price.     I do not know the population of small Empire silver out there but they are about 100 yrs old so i think they will have a huge upside at some point......Also noticed that low grade Empire silver like Proof Details still carry a high price....

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 09:54:29 AM »
I can tell you it is Y-493 from Yunnan province dated 1949, but I can't tell whether it is genuine.  Here is an example of Y-493 from NGC site:  2772107-022

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 11:58:43 AM »
Also, it was posted that most of us missed out on the Chinese silver dollar market.    Opinions say they keep their value and rise higher than MCC.    However, the 50 cent, 20 cent & 10 cent, etc.. silver Empire coins are still affordable.    At some point these small guys will take off too......you got a good one so keep it....

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 01:08:36 PM »
Here is the link of eBay listing for this 1949 20 cents Yunnan coin.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122190775179?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The coin in this eBay listing is graded recently inside China (based on the label) and IMO, it is highly over-graded. In general AU coin should show at least 50% of luster. I will grade this coin as VF35.

The pictures of you coin are not good enough to see all surface details. However, the missing dentils on obverse make this coin to be questionable. The weight of you coin is also less than genuine 20 cents silver coins minted during earlier Republic period.

Offline starfish

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 12:17:28 AM »
Hi poconopenn (and other contributotrs),

Many thanks for your input. There is no doubt that my coin is the coin you depict ... and I did not find the treasure of the Sierra Madre with it ....

Have a nice day.