Author Topic: ncs candidate recommendation  (Read 4050 times)

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
Re: ncs candidate recommendation
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 03:42:19 PM »
 I have submitted coins for regular grading without NCS  and in the middle of the grieving process they ask you after a recommendation that the coin should be conserved if you would like to   At that point in time you know what grade they are going to give the coin's without conservation you can either except or decline

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 04:10:44 PM »
Could you explain the process how NCS asked you if you wanted a conservation ?
Did you submitted your coins for grading only (without asking any NCS service) and NCS contacted you spontaneously ?
Or did you submitted your coins through NCS on the submission form ?

In the two examples I gave I had submitted the coins straight to NGC for routine grading. The staff contacted me by email regarding the recommendation to conserve the coins before grading due to pvc damage and residue respectively.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline Russ 736

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 04:12:14 PM »
I have submitted directly to NCS for red spots and general clean up on gold coins with good results on improved appearance. On silver coins, if it is a case of tarnish or plain old dirt, they do a good job. They can't fix WSOD. Somewhere, either in the paperwork or on the NGC newsletter, they make the statement that instead of submitting directly to NCS ( if you are going to have NGC grade it ) you can just note in the comments section of the NGC application that you would like any coins/medals sent to NCS before grading " if the graders feel that NCS can IMPROVE APPEARANCE. That is the key phrase. NCS aims to improve appearance but doesn't claim to improve the grade the coin will receive because of their treatment.

Russ

Offline Tao-Panda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 07:23:47 AM »
Thank you for all your replies.
It is a very good point that NGC check coins and take contact to recommend NCS conservation for increasing the coin's eye appeal even if there is no guarantee to reach a higher grade.

Offline dennisma77

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 09:33:36 PM »
I just got grade info.
3 got 1 grade higher.
1 got 2 grade higher
1 remain the same grade.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 09:43:24 PM »
I just got grade info.
3 got 1 grade higher.
1 got 2 grade higher
1 remain the same grade.

Congratulations. That was a good move to have them conserved!

Offline twong

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+12)
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 03:29:03 AM »
Congrats, same thing happened to me before. Sent two graded coin for conservation only and got 1 back with higher grade and the other has same grade

Offline applenj

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 06:01:40 PM »
So I have some (admittedly newbie) questions about NCS conservation.  This thread seemed more appropriate to bump up than to start as a new one....

I had some coins graded by NGC a couple years back.  I received no recommendations from them as far as conservation that I can recall.  A couple of my coins came back 69, mostly 68, and one 66.  Is there a consensus among this group on the value of conservation as compared to just being satisfied with what I got, particularly without NGC having recommended it? 

Also... NCS says they charge 4% of fair market value.  Is that based on the price chart at the ngccoin.com/price-guide/ ?

Thanks for any insight.  I'm learning a lot just reading through various posts on here.  Glad I found you!

Jeff

Offline 1003

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2018, 07:19:05 PM »
I have a question also. The modern tier is the least expensive choice for most panda coins, but NGC also says it has to be under $1000 to be graded under modern tier. So when you send in a 1 oz gold panda, which is the least expensive tier? Some people told me it can still go under the modern tier even though it is over $1000 and the grading fee is the same as a 1/10 oz panda. Is that true?

Online KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 08:43:29 PM »
NGC Modern or NCS Modern tier has $2000 limit, so almost all 1oz coins should be fine under this tier.

Offline 1003

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 11:28:21 PM »
Thank you, Arif. I thought it was $1000.

Another question is if I send in coin without specifying the variety, e.g., large or small date, does NGC identify the variety for you? How much extra is it to add the variety on the label?

Online KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2018, 12:05:54 AM »
No extra cost to to designate small and large date.  84 near and far date they sometimes charge for.  I always specify small and large date do graders are less likely to make a mistake, if you really don’t know then leave it blank.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2018, 09:11:31 AM »
So I have some (admittedly newbie) questions about NCS conservation.  This thread seemed more appropriate to bump up than to start as a new one....

I had some coins graded by NGC a couple years back.  I received no recommendations from them as far as conservation that I can recall.  A couple of my coins came back 69, mostly 68, and one 66.  Is there a consensus among this group on the value of conservation as compared to just being satisfied with what I got, particularly without NGC having recommended it? 

Also... NCS says they charge 4% of fair market value.  Is that based on the price chart at the ngccoin.com/price-guide/ ?

Thanks for any insight.  I'm learning a lot just reading through various posts on here.  Glad I found you!

Jeff

I believe that because of potential conflict of interest accusations NGC does not aggressively push conservation unless there is an obvious problem, such as residue, that could damage a coin if not removed. In that case they can recommend but not force conservation upon you.

I have had the experience on my coin being returned ungraded because I did not respond to their email recommending conservation due to residue (I somehow missed the email).

Conservation is not guaranteed to improve the grade of damaged coins. Therefore the primary screening has to be done before sending off the coin for conservation and grading. Now that the coins have been graded you could try examining them to see why they got their respective grade. That will help decide whether the grade can be improved by sending them back for conservation.

Offline applenj

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2018, 10:10:39 AM »
Awesome.  Thank you! 

In starting to take your advice, I've discovered I was completely mistaken.  I'd used PCGS, and not NGC.   :ohmy:  I've gotten the strong impression from reading through here so far that NGC is far more valued than PCGS.... to the point of making it worth the expense of resubmitting? 

Offline tater

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2018, 01:52:57 PM »
I have had good luck with NCS.  I typically submit to them prior to NGC receiving the coins.  They have help out a couple of 1/4 oz gold pandas that I bought for bullion cost because they had red spots on them.  They came back spot free and MS 69.