Author Topic: 1/10 gold panda,s on ebay  (Read 8049 times)

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
Re: 1/10 gold panda,s on ebay
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 05:49:02 PM »
The question is based on someone deciding to invest in bullion when the spot price is relatively low and not at a peak.

You only know this in hindsight - if gold goes to $10,000 the next year, your buy will turn out to be at a relative low.  If gold goes to $200, your buy price will turn out to have been at a relative high.  But you only know this in hindsight.

But the question is if the coin is held for some years will the Panda coin add some extra returns, in The form of increasing numismatic premiums, in addition to an increase in spot price?

That's asking someone to predict the future.  I won't ask anyone here to do that.   I've said it before and I'll say it again - if someone here starts to tell you that panda bullion coins will rise in value faster than any other coin...run the other way.

The eBay sale examples I used may not be clean but it answered the question posited; post-2010 1oz gold panda coins can be sold for more than $1600.

Yes, gross sales price, not net.  Net is the only thing you care about - the rest goes into someone else's pocket.

The question still remains: Can Panda coins yield extra returns if just used used as bullion?

If there is anyone here who has the ability to predict the future, forget Pandas...I want to know who is going to win the World Series this year!
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 06:23:09 PM »
You only know this in hindsight - if gold goes to $10,000 the next year, your buy will turn out to be at a relative low.  If gold goes to $200, your buy price will turn out to have been at a relative high.  But you only know this in hindsight.

That's asking someone to predict the future.  I won't ask anyone here to do that.   I've said it before and I'll say it again - if someone here starts to tell you that panda bullion coins will rise in value faster than any other coin...run the other way.

Yes, gross sales price, not net.  Net is the only thing you care about - the rest goes into someone else's pocket.

If there is anyone here who has the ability to predict the future, forget Pandas...I want to know who is going to win the World Series this year!

Honus  THAT WOULD BE THE CUBS:)

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 06:24:23 PM »
AND MIRK  your ebay fee,s are a little high..about 6% for ebay  3.3 for pay pal

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2016, 06:32:25 PM »
i would rather own a 2010 1 oz panda any day  over a piece of bullion even if i had to pay $100 over spot ... caveat  ..if you are looking to play $50 to $100 moves in the spot gold price this strategy might be flawed  ,but look at the 1/2 oz coins  2010 2009  these where spot coins for a long time   and many 1 oz   that where spot plus small premiums  per oz that have large premiums over gold spot...  I like gold and i think it is cheap  so my risk is low and my upside potential is high with the numismatic kicker:)     

Offline Wafdawg

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2016, 12:48:24 AM »
Pandas were white hot earlier this year.  It's been a great 2016 for pandas.  It is only rationale that we have a cooling period now. I expect prices to lag for some time. I've also slowed buys considerably but will pick up a coin here or there.  It is the natural ebbs and flows of the market.  It does not make me bearish in the least. I'll be onboard for the ride back up.  If you are taking profits on key coins just be sure you consider your replacement cost in the future. For me, selling key coins is not on my radar and if it was I would've done it during the white hot period.

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2016, 02:09:58 AM »
AND MIRK  your ebay fee,s are a little high..about 6% for ebay  3.3 for pay pal

I don't have an eBay Store, nor am I a top rated seller, hence 10% to eBay. An additional 3% to Paypal. 13%, exactly as I mentioned above. Your percentage may be different.

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2016, 10:55:19 AM »
I don't have an eBay Store, nor am I a top rated seller, hence 10% to eBay. An additional 3% to Paypal. 13%, exactly as I mentioned above. Your percentage may be different.

Mirkkanen is correct - those without eBay stores pay hefty fees.  But even with an eBay store, certain categories are still expensive.  We have a store but still pay 9% in the jewelry category.  On a $1500 purchase (our average), that's a big chunk of money, and the customer pays all of it through higher prices.  As a result, we do very little actual business on eBay - 95%+ of our volume happens on our website and the customer saves that 9% through lower direct prices.  It's why the trading forum here, and direct websites like Clark Smith's and Arif's are so important - they allow all of us to minimize transaction costs and cut out unnecessary middlemen.  When it's time to sell my pandas, it will certainly be direct via website and this forum, not eBay.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2016, 11:34:09 AM »
 Agreed eBay is a necessary evil to some extent it has become an advertising medium for me  both buyers and sellers don't want to pay the fees I will just say this you see an awful lot of list things on eBay and it early :-)

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2016, 11:34:56 AM »
Listings ended early

Offline silberschatzimsee

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2016, 08:23:38 PM »
For 'fast cash needed situations' i have krugers or maples so i dont care i have to wait an extra month or so until someone buys my panda for my price.

Apmex prices are a joke.

Predicting the future: Pandas could face the same fait as swatch-watches, stamps ect. So dont forget that and never bet 100% on one horse.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2016, 10:01:15 PM »
For 'fast cash needed situations' i have krugers or maples so i dont care i have to wait an extra month or so until someone buys my panda for my price.

Apmex prices are a joke.

Predicting the future: Pandas could face the same fait as swatch-watches, stamps ect. So dont forget that and never bet 100% on one horse.

Great strategy. I have had Krugers etc since 1997 for that purpose. However after a certain point one does not need more bullion unless buying at opportunistic market lows. In that case I still wonder if a current year 1oz gold Panda coin won't boost the bullion play as previously detailed. Just a thought. I shall continue to study that.

I hope APMEX reads the "complimentary" reviews.  N27

As for "Predicting the future:......"  :scared:
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline silberschatzimsee

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2016, 10:37:57 PM »
Yeah me too. First i built up a stock of normal bullion and then switched to the higher premium stuff.  

The only i thing came across i need some smaller fractions of the normal bullion.i will adjust that as soon i feel the price is right again.

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 03:35:36 PM »
I just like bullion for the liquidity. I have a few 1 oz 2015's but no one will pay me more that $1400. It's nice having some options to sell pandas at a premium and low low stress high liquidity bullion. Only because my situation changed a little bit which may require some liquidity. With the panda market being a little soft it does make for some interesting re-entry points, but i would have to sit on them until the next wave which we don't know when might hit.

I would love to sell a 1 oz 2015 for $2100 but that's not realistic. Apmex has 3 available for $1500 but they dont really sell too well. It is nice to get some pandas though, but I can't just walk in to a place for cash, I have to wait for a month or two for that extra 6%

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2016, 03:51:49 PM »
Got it silver pro all my comments above about panda premiums  are meant for  2010 and before panda,s   I dont think it makes sense to pay any high premium for post 2010 panda,s some fractionals excluded

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2016, 03:54:18 PM »
Got it silver pro all my comments above about panda premiums  are meant for  2010 and before panda,s   I dont think it makes sense to pay any high premium for post 2010 panda,s some fractionals excluded

I'd love to sit on pre2010 panda 1oz and below. :)