Author Topic: ANA show in Anahiem, August 9-13  (Read 3544 times)

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
ANA show in Anahiem, August 9-13
« on: August 04, 2016, 11:38:37 PM »
I will be set at table #349 on Tuesday and Wednesday (August 9-10) only.

Don't plan to bring any rare coins, simply because it has been very slow buying during the last 45 days, yet sales continue at decent pace.  Will mainly have lower grade coins, bullion coins and few better date 1/4, 1/10 and 1/20. 

Anybody on the forum planning to attend?

Offline Russ 736

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
Re: ANA show in Anahiem, August 9-13
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 11:54:08 PM »
Hi Arif,
          I will be there Tuesday and Wed. too. I plan to stop by and say hello while I'm there. I'll PM you to see what 1/4s you will be bringing.

Russ

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 01:10:00 AM »
I will be set at table #349 on Tuesday and Wednesday (August 9-10) only.

Don't plan to bring any rare coins, simply because it has been very slow buying during the last 45 days, yet sales continue at decent pace.  Will mainly have lower grade coins, bullion coins and few better date 1/4, 1/10 and 1/20. 

Anybody on the forum planning to attend?

I will stop by and say hello. Good luck there.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline peng_you

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 09:42:14 PM »
hi arif. will try my best to stop by your booth to see you and chit chat. Thanks again for helping me sell my coin. you are a true professional.
josh

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 08:41:03 AM »
Hello ANA Show Attendees,

Please share your experience in real time with us. Please post photos. What are you seeing with respect to MCC? What coins and medals showed up? How about non-Panda themed Chinese coins and medals? Silver vs Gold?.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks and Best wishes.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 02:00:21 AM »
Monday was set up day and Shanghai dealers were making their rounds buying up ms66-68 quality coins at reasonable prices.  I sold about 80% of my lower grade coins on Monday.  I was able to buy a few nice omp coins at reasonable prices, which I wasn't really expecting.  

Tuesday was first day open to general public, surprisingly all the business was dealer to dealer, only 2 collectors stopped by and didn't see many collectors at the show that I have seen at prior long beach or ANA shows.  Collectors were mainly looking for 1oz MS69 gold.  Dealers were looking for anything priced well, which at my table are MS67-68 coins, the remaining 20% sold by early afternoon. At 2pm they started selling the 1oz silver ANA panda for $108 (including sales tax), about 50 people lined up, with mix of dealers without tables, collectors and flippers.  Some of the collectors joined the line simply because they saw a line and figured it must be good and joined in.  As the line got smaller others joined in, just looking at COA numbers the first one given out were in the 250s and final ones around 400.  Each ANA member was allowed 1 coin.

Wednesday was slow as expected, only a couple of collectors seen, most of them looking for a certain coin.  Almost all the interest was in 1oz and 1/4oz.  No interest in 1/10 and 1/20.  Some interest in 1/2 but not like long beach were everyone was looking to buy any 1/2 they could get their hands on.  At 9am the ANA coin was available to dealers with tables, 30-50 dealers lined up to buy the coins (2 per table), some flipped the coins immediately after purchase, while others put it on their table for sale.  I saw a few dealers stockpiling coins by offering $150 for the coin.  I believe during the dealer period COA range was from 400s-600s.  Then at 2pm the coins were available to ANA members again, again 50+ lined up and line kept getting replenished, at the end the last COA given was 790.  At the end of the day I packed up my coins and shipped them home, despite planning to stay in town for another week and having paid for the table for entire week.  While coin shows are a great place to socialize and seek out opportunities, I have found 2-3 days is plenty to take care of business.  All of the mainland dealers arrived Sunday or Monday and left Wednesday.  

Thursday they plan to sell another 100-200 ANA coins for those that line up at 11am.  Then the excitement occurs around 3pm, when all those that bought the ANA silver coin will be in drawing to see who can purchase the 1oz gold for $1891 or 12oz silver for $888, roughly 30 of each will be available for purchase to those that win the drawing, my estimate is roughly 500-600 ANA 1oz silver coins were be sold at the show, so your chances of being drawn is roughly 10 to 1 (600/60).  For those that bought the 1oz silver coin, I suspect many will keep it as is if they are a collector or non-world coin dealer, while the world coin dealers will submit them to NGC.  NGC is offering for $50 to grade the coin at the show with special show label or take it back to the office at $25/coin.  By Saturday expect to see NGC coins on ebay.  

The distributor made it a point to me that these ANA coins are not "medals" but rather "show" pandas.  Don't use lessen their value by calling them medals. NGC will also not be using the word medal on their labels.  If you have a show panda from the past that was referred to as a medal, you can have NGC relabel it for you as show panda. 

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 03:41:32 AM »
Thanks, Arif.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 07:51:22 AM »
I raise you this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302021670250

N16 N16 N16 N16 N16 N16 N16 N16

Item is no longer available, sold quick.....$17,495....

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 10:34:26 AM »
Thanks for the info. I completely forgot about the show. Out of curiosity, why would using the term 'medal' lessen the round vs. a 'show'?

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 12:19:53 PM »
Thanks for the info. I completely forgot about the show. Out of curiosity, why would using the term 'medal' lessen the round vs. a 'show'?

There is a write up somewhere about that. I am trying to remember where I saw it. I'll check later today for a URL but I  believe I saw this policy change with respect to the recent WMF Berlin "medal" release statement.

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 05:23:31 PM »
This is the special release label referred to by KD1/2P above: https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5470/ANA-Anaheim-show-releases/

Seems to pertain to only the 1oz silver show panda "medal".

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 07:13:12 PM »
Why is the word "medal" unwanted?     Even badon names medals as non fiat.     We have used the word medal for years and it is on NGC labels.......

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 10:29:57 PM »
This morning I arrived early at 8am without having the handcuff of a table to watch over and be free to roam the floor.  With the mainland dealers all gone, I visited locations I knew had pandas that were overpriced yesterday, but today I may have some influence to name my price.  Was able to by 6x 1/2, 8x 1oz and 1x 1/10oz at 10% below yesterdays price.  

At 11am people lined up to buy the remaining 100x 1oz silver to be sold at the show, in total 500x 1oz silver were sold at the show, it about an 1 hour for them to sell out, the line was 40-50 deep at all times.  At 3pm they drew 56 names eligible to buy the 1oz gold or 12oz silver your choice, until 28 of each were sold out.  Mish personally drew two of the 56 names, the rest were done by his wife and ANA rep, amazingly I was one of the two names picked by Mish himself.  I bought the coin for $1891 and submitted to NGC for grading, will have it tomorrow.  Convinced another dealer that won that had no interest in the coin to sell me one, he was handsomely rewarded (almost covered his entire table fee with profit to simply wait 20 minutes in line to pick a coin for me).  Then after seeing the coin, I really wanted to get a silver also, so I convinced a four non-panda collectors to part with theirs at the highest premium offered by anyone at the show.  The silver is bargain at issue price of $888, the 12oz Munich with 99 mintage has sold for $10K-$15K over the years.  

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 03:35:54 PM »

There is a write up somewhere about that. I am trying to remember where I saw it. I'll check later today for a URL but I  believe I saw this policy change with respect to the recent WMF Berlin "medal" release statement.

There is a definition of "Show Panda" here: https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5462/Chinese-panda-coins/

from where I copied this: "What is a Show Panda? Show Pandas are official Chinese Panda coins or commemoratives struck for a specific coin show."

The coin versus medal terminology argument has raged for a long time. Medals are posited as poor cousins to coins in some minds. The adoption of the "Show Panda" title may be an attempt by NGC to move these coin show medals out of the shadow (read taint) of other medals.

Perhaps the better solution is to call all circular mint products coins but then we run into what is "legal tender" and what is not, as if anyone is going to pay for a 200 Yuan item in the shop with a 1/2oz gold panda coin!  :blink: