Author Topic: How do you inventory your collection? Is it kept up to date?  (Read 3191 times)

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
Re: How do you inventory your collection? Is it kept up to date?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 12:03:03 AM »
My inventory has all the serial numbers of the coins, NGC web site has pictures of the coins.  For non-certified coins I have pictures.   

It takes very little time to add or subtract inventory with a spreadsheet.  I could save some time and create an Access database file for the inventory, but it wouldn't add much value and probably be a headache to maintain. 

There are many tools already on the market for inventory tracking based on bar code technology, you scan your coins as they come in and scan them as they come out, you can use the NGC bar code or print your own bar code to stick on an item that doesn't have bar code already. 

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 12:35:41 AM »
Heh.. Access database. I haven't heard that used in a long time.

The system I'm building isn't coins specific but it made for a Good starting point. I'm building a general purpose personal inventory system but I think coin collectors are a very specific bunch which helped me focus. Instead of barcodes, I'm using keyword or category search.

Thanks for the input. :)

Offline silberschatzimsee

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 04:58:22 AM »
As for bank safe deposit boxes, the bank provides ZERO insurance in case of theft, fire, tornado, etc.  You must purchase private insurance to cover the contents of your safe deposit box, the premiums are roughly $1K per $1M insured per year, so 10 basis points.

Yes you are correct, the deposit boxes are not insured. Its very unlikely that something happens but I pay the same. Its 1‰ of the content.

So there's nothing really that you would like to see in a product?

Actually, when you lose the phone, whoever has the phone can potentially unlock and view its contents unless you have it set to delete itself after x number of logins.

If the database was encrypted on the phone it would be securer for "sensitive data like your personal wealth" than having outsorced for virtually everyone. I dont think collectors need to keep track on their stuff in realtime. If i buy something or sell i will maybe inventorize it at the evening and a few days later update the file in the depositbox when i put my coin inside.

Where i see a potential for collectors in your product is:
encrypted file
stored locally
update it on request to the main file or backup on the pc/usb stick.
zoomable pictures would be nice to have. The pictures dont really have to be included in the database file but some sort of hyperlink to the folder with the pictures would be good.

Thats all of what i can think off at the moment which could be unique selling points for your app :)

Online jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 06:29:47 AM »
I use Excel for my inventory tracking, the spreadsheet is in a dropbox which I can easily access with any of my computers or mobile devices. 

As for bank safe deposit boxes, the bank provides ZERO insurance in case of theft, fire, tornado, etc.  You must purchase private insurance to cover the contents of your safe deposit box, the premiums are roughly $1K per $1M insured per year, so 10 basis points.

Interesting Arif , ?  ,is it offered by the banking institution? seems like a worthwhile piece of mind ,I dont worry too much about it .... but....  that is relatively cheap insurance.I would need to inventory then:)     

Offline silberschatzimsee

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 06:55:16 AM »

Interesting Arif , ?  ,is it offered by the banking institution? seems like a worthwhile piece of mind ,I dont worry too much about it .... but....  that is relatively cheap insurance.I would need to inventory then:)     

Yes mine is from the insurance company associated to the bank. But i am sure there are also non affliated companies. In some cases your householdinsurance also covers a certain amount. I would check that.

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 11:51:16 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.. I may split the app into a self-contained one for collectors.

Online Agpanda

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
    • agpandas
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 12:54:56 PM »
I wouldn´t mind trying out a app like that

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 05:20:21 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.. I may split the app into a self-contained one for collectors.

AFAIK coin collectors use a varied system for inventoring their coin collections including:
1: Having no records at all.
2: Handwritten notebook and index card entries, and preformatted forms.
3: Ring binder filing of purchase and sales receipts, and other relevant materials.
4: Self-designed computer based spreadsheet and/or database records which may be stored locally only or locally and/or remotely.
5: Commercial collection programs with records being stored locally only or locally and/or remotely.
6: Other systems not listed here.

Once more forum members have rendered opinion, which may not be politically correct, but provides powerful insight that product developers can harness to their benefit. However, these views don’t need to be accepted because truly pioneering products often go against currently accepted norms and custom, and some of them become wildly successful.

My impression still remains that coin collection tends to be a largely private endeavor. I accept that there is an increasing public display of such items especially on platforms such as YouTube. But it may be largely the same crowd that bares it all on Facebook, Instagram and other ostensibly private/restricted access networks. The ability to control whether coin collection data is stored on remote servers or only locally on your devices could entice more people to use such programs.

Finally, coin records software program initiation, maintenance and hidden costs are another reality to contend with. Is this proposed as a free app? If not what are the costs associated with using such a program? How do they fit in with other coin collection costs such as eBay/Paypal sales commissions, grading and conservation fees, desiccants, barrier packaging, coin safes, protection ordinance, bank safe charges, coin insurance, books, magazines, journals, postage and other transportation costs, and online coin research products, to mention but a few!

I hope the feedback on this thread helps towards crafting a killer app!

Good luck and Best wishes for success.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 05:50:32 PM »
AFAIK coin collectors use a varied system for inventoring their coin collections including:
1: Having no records at all.
2: Handwritten notebook and index card entries, and preformatted forms.
3: Ring binder filing of purchase and sales receipts, and other relevant materials.
4: Self-designed computer based spreadsheet and/or database records which may be stored locally only or locally and/or remotely.
5: Commercial collection programs with records being stored locally only or locally and/or remotely.
6: Other systems not listed here.

Once more forum members have rendered opinion, which may not be politically correct, but provides powerful insight that product developers can harness to their benefit. However, these views don’t need to be accepted because truly pioneering products often go against currently accepted norms and custom, and some of them become wildly successful.

My impression still remains that coin collection tends to be a largely private endeavor. I accept that there is an increasing public display of such items especially on platforms such as YouTube. But it may be largely the same crowd that bares it all on Facebook, Instagram and other ostensibly private/restricted access networks. The ability to control whether coin collection data is stored on remote servers or only locally on your devices could entice more people to use such programs.

Finally, coin records software program initiation, maintenance and hidden costs are another reality to contend with. Is this proposed as a free app? If not what are the costs associated with using such a program? How do they fit in with other coin collection costs such as eBay/Paypal sales commissions, grading and conservation fees, desiccants, barrier packaging, coin safes, protection ordinance, bank safe charges, coin insurance, books, magazines, journals, postage and other transportation costs, and online coin research products, to mention but a few!

I hope the feedback on this thread helps towards crafting a killer app!

Good luck and Best wishes for success.

Thanks for the input. I am looking at updating the current way of doing things for the next generation collectors. I've done a lot of what was already mentioned and tried to stream line as much as possible. Honestly, coin collecting is a small niche sub group but full of very intelligent and thoughtful collectors. I would not make very much if I focused on this group. However, coin collectors are very detail oriented and articulate in addition to private. heh.

The app itself is free. There is a fee posting for sale, 5% only when sales are made. So, no fees to store or list your private inventories. If you use it for the item tracker (borrowing/lending) certain screens will be ad supported but the inventory manager itself is free for use. I plan on allowing users to download their inventory for a fixed fee (excel + links to images for insurance purposes), but it will be viewable for free. The system is meant to displace the current way of web-based commerce and leverage the growing mobile-based commerce the current generation of buyers are accustomed to. Think of a cross Tap-a-talk + P2P commerce + Instagram + ebay.

The private feature is meant to help folks who like to organize their stuff and allow them to transition between private and sale seamlessly with the click of a button. Instead of copying the info from said spreadsheet to the website or ebay or ccf or other market.