Author Topic: How do you inventory your collection? Is it kept up to date?  (Read 3255 times)

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
How do you inventory your collection? Is it kept up to date?
« on: August 04, 2016, 04:40:50 PM »
Just wondering how many of you keep tabs on your collection and more importantly how you keep tabs on the collection?

The reason I ask is because I'm developing a mobile app that is a personal inventory manager, not limited to coins that's always available via mobile/cloud.

What would be your concerns about using such a system?
What would you want in a system to keep tabs of your coins including other items?
What are your main challeneges in keeping it up to date?

I understand most will say spreadsheet, but spreadsheets don't allow room for visual proof like photos. Let me know what your best solution might look like.

As an FYI, you are not required to use your real information, but it is if you use some of the other services like lending/borrowing. Otherwsie your online persona is adequate for inventory and selling.

I built it so I could keep tabs on my coins and also personal belongings of value for private use or for private social use.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Re: How do you inventory your collection? Is it kept up to date?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 04:57:40 PM »
Just wondering how many of you keep tabs on your collection and more importantly how you keep tabs on the collection?

The reason I ask is because I'm developing a mobile app that is a personal inventory manager, not limited to coins that's always available via mobile/cloud.

What would be your concerns about using such a system?
What would you want in a system to keep tabs of your coins including other items?
What are your main challeneges in keeping it up to date?

I understand most will say spreadsheet, but spreadsheets don't allow room for visual proof like photos. Let me know what your best solution might look like.

As an FYI, you are not required to use your real information, but it is if you use some of the other services like lending/borrowing. Otherwsie your online persona is adequate for inventory and selling.

I built it so I could keep tabs on my coins and also personal belongings of value for private use or for private social use.

Precious metal collection is private by nature, for so many reasons including security. If the best guarded systems can be hacked into with apparent ease nowadays what safeguards will such an app offer collectors in that regards? Can the data be subpoenaed? Can the data be mined for commercial purposes as is the norm now?

These are preliminary thoughts.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 05:14:17 PM »
Precious metal collection is private by nature, for so many reasons including security. If the best guarded systems can be hacked into with apparent ease nowadays what safeguards will such an app offer collectors in that regards? Can the data be subpoenaed? Can the data be mined for commercial purposes as is the norm now?

These are preliminary thoughts.

The data is not as relevant as the goods are still physical with no mention of location/addres (not gps enabled).  I can't tell you its 100% secure because nothing is. If you own physical, there is the threat of theft, no matter where it is. What the safeguard is, is a record of your physical belongings, which can be used as evidence if you need to make a claim with insurance. I will say, that it is my daily duty to keep up to date on cloud security. It is not like they will steal your id, cc, etc. its just a list which doesn't include any address info or passwords. I use tokens from FB or Google authentication so they manage your password and identity. From there, data is encrypted in transmission via https via TLS 1.2, payment transactions are via PCI compliant Paypal and sent person to person.

Data can be subpeonaed by Courts that is standard in the US.  Data can be mined, but something like coins isn't looked at. More manufacturer/consumer data is more relevant. Though it is no different than the data shared on these forums from sellers who show us nice looking graphs and the price movement for certain coins who mine data. You control what you want to put in. You could obsfucate if you wish, its really just a tool to help you know what you have and categorize it.

Offline silberschatzimsee

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 06:36:03 PM »
I have a encrypted excel sheet where i have my inventory but i would not like to have it out of my hand. what i want to say. if i delete the stick, its gone, whereas in the cloud its there forever out of my reach.

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 06:44:40 PM »
Maybe you could make the app that it saves encrypted locally on the handheld? that would delete alot of security concerns.

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 06:46:10 PM »
I have a encrypted excel sheet where i have my inventory but i would not like to have it out of my hand. what i want to say. if i delete the stick, its gone, whereas in the cloud its there forever out of my reach.
So you are OK with not knowing what you have until you are physically with your stick? The idea in the cloud is that it is always in your reach, not out of reach. You could search/update/delete anything in your inventory with your mobile as the key. Would the notion of a passcode/encrypted passcode make things better? The problem with a physical stick is that it can get lost or damaged and is more difficult to update and often gets out of date or isn't accessible, which is something I'm trying to make easier.

I use a google spreadsheet right now to keep tabs and it gets out of date regularly. Having an excel spreadsheet in the box is more difficult to keep up to date and if stolen, fire, flood, or other physical damage, there goes the list. In a way, I'm trying to build something private, not public first. Going against the common angle of everything's open.

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 06:47:16 PM »
Maybe you could make the app that it saves encrypted locally on the handheld? that would delete alot of security concerns.

I can switch to to save locally, but if you lose your phone the data is gone. Once again, fire, flood, etc. The benefit of the cloud is that the device doesn't matter.

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 08:27:10 PM »
I can switch to to save locally, but if you lose your phone the data is gone. Once again, fire, flood, etc. The benefit of the cloud is that the device doesn't matter.
So you are OK with not knowing what you have until you are physically with your stick? The idea in the cloud is that it is always in your reach, not out of reach. You could search/update/delete anything in your inventory with your mobile as the key. Would the notion of a passcode/encrypted passcode make things better? The problem with a physical stick is that it can get lost or damaged and is more difficult to update and often gets out of date or isn't accessible, which is something I'm trying to make easier.

I use a google spreadsheet right now to keep tabs and it gets out of date regularly. Having an excel spreadsheet in the box is more difficult to keep up to date and if stolen, fire, flood, or other physical damage, there goes the list. In a way, I'm trying to build something private, not public first. Going against the common angle of everything's open.

I roughly know what i have and in the case of cases i can reconstruct them via receipts. I also have a file in the depositbox which i update from time to time.

Yes when the phone is lost the file is gone but i have the secureness its gone for everyone and nobody will ever know whats inside that file. With saving in the cloud i cant be sure that nobody will leak it.

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 08:36:01 PM »
I roughly know what i have and in the case of cases i can reconstruct them via receipts. I also have a file in the depositbox which i update from time to time.

Yes when the phone is lost the file is gone but i have the secureness its gone for everyone and nobody will ever know whats inside that file. With saving in the cloud i cant be sure that nobody will leak it.

So in short, you prefer privacy over accuracy? Even if your identity wouldn't match the list of items? Do you use online banking?

So there's nothing really that you would like to see in a product?

Actually, when you lose the phone, whoever has the phone can potentially unlock and view its contents unless you have it set to delete itself after x number of logins.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 10:33:29 PM »
I have a rough idea what I own :)..... but it is kind of cool to go to the bank vault and find something you forgot about:)   does that make sense?? 

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 10:43:20 PM »
I have a rough idea what I own :)..... but it is kind of cool to go to the bank vault and find something you forgot about:)   does that make sense?? 

I know what you mean.. lol.. but what if the bank gets robbed?

http://www.newsweek.com/robbing-banks-blowtorches-safe-deposit-boxes-are-not-so-safe-484224

No way to itemize.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 10:49:12 PM »
Im screwed :) I do not keep all my eggs in one basket though:)

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 11:00:29 PM »
Im screwed :) I do not keep all my eggs in one basket though:)

But there in lies the point. I do the same thing not just with coins in banks but also stuff in other locations like family homes, etc. To keep track of all the extra mobility now-a-days, I built a inventory manager for things in multiple locations and searchable from your mobile.

How do you keep your inventory of things?

For reals, this is a real question and also a real tool. https://ikeo.com/

This is the app I've built from the ground up to do several thing on top of inventorying the item. From the moment it goes into your possession to the other moment where you get rid of it.

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 11:24:39 PM »
I use Excel for my inventory tracking, the spreadsheet is in a dropbox which I can easily access with any of my computers or mobile devices. 

As for bank safe deposit boxes, the bank provides ZERO insurance in case of theft, fire, tornado, etc.  You must purchase private insurance to cover the contents of your safe deposit box, the premiums are roughly $1K per $1M insured per year, so 10 basis points.

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 11:40:22 PM »
I use Excel for my inventory tracking, the spreadsheet is in a dropbox which I can easily access with any of my computers or mobile devices.  

As for bank safe deposit boxes, the bank provides ZERO insurance in case of theft, fire, tornado, etc.  You must purchase private insurance to cover the contents of your safe deposit box, the premiums are roughly $1K per $1M insured per year, so 10 basis points.

I was hoping you would chime in. I also use a web-based spreadsheet.

Do you find the purchase and sales takes additional time to add and remove items?
Do you see a benefit to a dedicated tool for valuables or items of value?
Spreadsheets don't allow for visual elements very well like pictures for each is this useful or would it take too much time?

If you could make something, what elements would it have that you don't already have there? Is there anything that would be useful to automate or streamline. I would imagine your inventory changes regularly and there would be some places to make more efficient.

I understand that banks do not cover boxes but that puts more emphasis on the owner to inventory properly.

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 12:03:03 AM »
My inventory has all the serial numbers of the coins, NGC web site has pictures of the coins.  For non-certified coins I have pictures.   

It takes very little time to add or subtract inventory with a spreadsheet.  I could save some time and create an Access database file for the inventory, but it wouldn't add much value and probably be a headache to maintain. 

There are many tools already on the market for inventory tracking based on bar code technology, you scan your coins as they come in and scan them as they come out, you can use the NGC bar code or print your own bar code to stick on an item that doesn't have bar code already. 

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 12:35:41 AM »
Heh.. Access database. I haven't heard that used in a long time.

The system I'm building isn't coins specific but it made for a Good starting point. I'm building a general purpose personal inventory system but I think coin collectors are a very specific bunch which helped me focus. Instead of barcodes, I'm using keyword or category search.

Thanks for the input. :)

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 04:58:22 AM »
As for bank safe deposit boxes, the bank provides ZERO insurance in case of theft, fire, tornado, etc.  You must purchase private insurance to cover the contents of your safe deposit box, the premiums are roughly $1K per $1M insured per year, so 10 basis points.

Yes you are correct, the deposit boxes are not insured. Its very unlikely that something happens but I pay the same. Its 1‰ of the content.

So there's nothing really that you would like to see in a product?

Actually, when you lose the phone, whoever has the phone can potentially unlock and view its contents unless you have it set to delete itself after x number of logins.

If the database was encrypted on the phone it would be securer for "sensitive data like your personal wealth" than having outsorced for virtually everyone. I dont think collectors need to keep track on their stuff in realtime. If i buy something or sell i will maybe inventorize it at the evening and a few days later update the file in the depositbox when i put my coin inside.

Where i see a potential for collectors in your product is:
encrypted file
stored locally
update it on request to the main file or backup on the pc/usb stick.
zoomable pictures would be nice to have. The pictures dont really have to be included in the database file but some sort of hyperlink to the folder with the pictures would be good.

Thats all of what i can think off at the moment which could be unique selling points for your app :)

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 06:29:47 AM »

As for bank safe deposit boxes, the bank provides ZERO insurance in case of theft, fire, tornado, etc.  You must purchase private insurance to cover the contents of your safe deposit box, the premiums are roughly $1K per $1M insured per year, so 10 basis points.

Interesting Arif , ?  ,is it offered by the banking institution? seems like a worthwhile piece of mind ,I dont worry too much about it .... but....  that is relatively cheap insurance.I would need to inventory then:)     

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 06:55:16 AM »

Interesting Arif , ?  ,is it offered by the banking institution? seems like a worthwhile piece of mind ,I dont worry too much about it .... but....  that is relatively cheap insurance.I would need to inventory then:)     

Yes mine is from the insurance company associated to the bank. But i am sure there are also non affliated companies. In some cases your householdinsurance also covers a certain amount. I would check that.

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 11:51:16 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.. I may split the app into a self-contained one for collectors.

Offline Agpanda

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
    • agpandas
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 12:54:56 PM »
I wouldn´t mind trying out a app like that

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 05:20:21 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.. I may split the app into a self-contained one for collectors.

AFAIK coin collectors use a varied system for inventoring their coin collections including:
1: Having no records at all.
2: Handwritten notebook and index card entries, and preformatted forms.
3: Ring binder filing of purchase and sales receipts, and other relevant materials.
4: Self-designed computer based spreadsheet and/or database records which may be stored locally only or locally and/or remotely.
5: Commercial collection programs with records being stored locally only or locally and/or remotely.
6: Other systems not listed here.

Once more forum members have rendered opinion, which may not be politically correct, but provides powerful insight that product developers can harness to their benefit. However, these views don’t need to be accepted because truly pioneering products often go against currently accepted norms and custom, and some of them become wildly successful.

My impression still remains that coin collection tends to be a largely private endeavor. I accept that there is an increasing public display of such items especially on platforms such as YouTube. But it may be largely the same crowd that bares it all on Facebook, Instagram and other ostensibly private/restricted access networks. The ability to control whether coin collection data is stored on remote servers or only locally on your devices could entice more people to use such programs.

Finally, coin records software program initiation, maintenance and hidden costs are another reality to contend with. Is this proposed as a free app? If not what are the costs associated with using such a program? How do they fit in with other coin collection costs such as eBay/Paypal sales commissions, grading and conservation fees, desiccants, barrier packaging, coin safes, protection ordinance, bank safe charges, coin insurance, books, magazines, journals, postage and other transportation costs, and online coin research products, to mention but a few!

I hope the feedback on this thread helps towards crafting a killer app!

Good luck and Best wishes for success.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 05:50:32 PM »
AFAIK coin collectors use a varied system for inventoring their coin collections including:
1: Having no records at all.
2: Handwritten notebook and index card entries, and preformatted forms.
3: Ring binder filing of purchase and sales receipts, and other relevant materials.
4: Self-designed computer based spreadsheet and/or database records which may be stored locally only or locally and/or remotely.
5: Commercial collection programs with records being stored locally only or locally and/or remotely.
6: Other systems not listed here.

Once more forum members have rendered opinion, which may not be politically correct, but provides powerful insight that product developers can harness to their benefit. However, these views don’t need to be accepted because truly pioneering products often go against currently accepted norms and custom, and some of them become wildly successful.

My impression still remains that coin collection tends to be a largely private endeavor. I accept that there is an increasing public display of such items especially on platforms such as YouTube. But it may be largely the same crowd that bares it all on Facebook, Instagram and other ostensibly private/restricted access networks. The ability to control whether coin collection data is stored on remote servers or only locally on your devices could entice more people to use such programs.

Finally, coin records software program initiation, maintenance and hidden costs are another reality to contend with. Is this proposed as a free app? If not what are the costs associated with using such a program? How do they fit in with other coin collection costs such as eBay/Paypal sales commissions, grading and conservation fees, desiccants, barrier packaging, coin safes, protection ordinance, bank safe charges, coin insurance, books, magazines, journals, postage and other transportation costs, and online coin research products, to mention but a few!

I hope the feedback on this thread helps towards crafting a killer app!

Good luck and Best wishes for success.

Thanks for the input. I am looking at updating the current way of doing things for the next generation collectors. I've done a lot of what was already mentioned and tried to stream line as much as possible. Honestly, coin collecting is a small niche sub group but full of very intelligent and thoughtful collectors. I would not make very much if I focused on this group. However, coin collectors are very detail oriented and articulate in addition to private. heh.

The app itself is free. There is a fee posting for sale, 5% only when sales are made. So, no fees to store or list your private inventories. If you use it for the item tracker (borrowing/lending) certain screens will be ad supported but the inventory manager itself is free for use. I plan on allowing users to download their inventory for a fixed fee (excel + links to images for insurance purposes), but it will be viewable for free. The system is meant to displace the current way of web-based commerce and leverage the growing mobile-based commerce the current generation of buyers are accustomed to. Think of a cross Tap-a-talk + P2P commerce + Instagram + ebay.

The private feature is meant to help folks who like to organize their stuff and allow them to transition between private and sale seamlessly with the click of a button. Instead of copying the info from said spreadsheet to the website or ebay or ccf or other market.