Author Topic: NCS conservation - dark spots  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Jotun

• Trade Count: (0)
NCS conservation - dark spots
« on: August 04, 2016, 02:09:28 PM »
Hello

Recently I submitted few coins to NCS with two of them having tiny dark spots. Yesterday I received the coins back and noticed that these spots were not removed. I´m familiar with the more common red spotting and NCS´ability to remove them. I was thinking to ask here if anyone has experienced this type of dark spotting and if NCS has been able to remove them. Perhaps this is something that cannot be removed or have they sent the coins for grading without proper inspection? The 1oz coin only has one tiny spot close to the rim around 10 o´clock. 1/2 oz one has several of them in the same area as the 1oz. Probably hard to see in the images below, but if you look at the 1/2 oz and zoom in enough you might catch them.

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
Re: NCS conservation - dark spots
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 02:19:58 PM »
Congrats on some really nice coins, and great grades!

In all my own personal conservation efforts, I've never been able to remove those dark spots.  Whatever they are, they're pesky, and I could never get them out.  I don't know that NCS does anything differently and I'm not surprised they couldn't get them out either.  But as you see, they didn't affect your grade one bit - for grading purposes it's as if they aren't there.  While I won't say those spots are common, I don't think they're all that uncommon either, so don't let them bother you.   Those are great grades on those two Pandas so they didn't hurt the results.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline Jotun

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 09:10:57 AM »
Thanks Honus! Maybe I got little too fuzzed about this being prone to detail and requiring perfection. But it is interesting to learn and hear from others - now I now better.

I was very lucky to come across the 1/2 ozer few years back in my LCS. The guy asked 5€ over spot that time. That was the first and last Panda I have purchased from him - he knows better now and has become little bit of a Panda collector himself.

Thanks
J

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 09:46:34 AM »
Same thing here in my market - for several years after I started collecting the dealers had no interest in, or knowledge of, what was happening in the panda market and that's when I gathered much of my collection.  Nowadays, they're all wiser.   And when I started, I was the same way about spots or imperfections, even letting copper spots keep me from buying a coin or two that I shouldn't have passed on.  I hung around this forum, picked up lots of good info, and now I know better too.   
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline Jotun

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 10:35:18 AM »
How about these red copper spots then - in theory they should not affect the grade either, or? A lot of people seem to use NCS for coins with copper spots being the primary imperfection and thinking the coins will grade higher spotless. Do they? Of course there is eye appeal, resale value and all that in question. But I´m wondering purely technically and what affects what.

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 11:00:20 AM »
Here's a good NGC article on how they view copper spots, and it explains how only rarely will copper spotting affect the grade:

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/1197/gold-coin-grading/

Many/most people will submit through NCS for removal of the spots, and like you say it's just as much for resale value as it is for the hope of a higher coin grade.   Every case is different, of course, but speaking in generalities it depends on how many spots, where they are, how dark they are, how distracting they are.  I have seen coins with a copper spot get an MS70 grade.  But yes, in general most collectors will have them removed for the sake of eye appeal.  Because it's so easy to remove copper spots I've learned not to consider them an imperfection or defect.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline Jotun

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 11:10:36 AM »
Thanks again Honus and happy collecting! I will certainly look through the article thanks for that.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 12:15:04 PM »
I have the same experience with the dark spots on gold hard to remove   ..I have an ms70  2000 1/4 gold with one on it .I just acquired   it does not bother me but I might send it in for appearance review just to see what they do:)

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 02:10:40 PM »
I have the same experience with the dark spots on gold hard to remove   ..I have an ms70  2000 1/4 gold with one on it .I just acquired   it does not bother me but I might send it in for appearance review just to see what they do:)

JC, where is the spot on your 2000 1/4?   I'm just curious, because now that I think about it I think every spot I've seen like this in my own collection has been near the rim.  It's never in the center, or in a distracting location.   And both of Jotun's coins have them at the rim, just like my own coins.  Maybe that's why in my own experience these dark spots have never caused a downgrade, because they're never in a bad location and they always seem to be out of the way at the outer perimeter of the coin.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com