Author Topic: "Chinese Coins Live." A competiting subscription for pricing research  (Read 15056 times)

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
Re: "Chinese Coins Live." A competiting subscription for pricing research
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2016, 06:28:41 PM »
It doesn't matter what price the dealer or collector paid for the coin, what matters is how much they want for it and whether you think it is a fair price.  I can tell you from experience buyers that are more concerned with the thickness of the seller's wallet, rather than making an objective purchase decision will miss out on many great opportunities to buy undervalued coins.  I pay up to buy coins I need even if the person I am buying them from paid melt to acquire the coin a few hours earlier, it doesn't matter how much money he is making, I just want the coins in my collection or business inventory.

When I price coins I never look at pricepedia, NGC price guide or PCGS price guide, what I look at is recent sales on ebay, Stacks, Heritage and Zhou (just those 4 for good reason, can't say why publicly), then I look at my current replacement cost (not my original acquisition cost) and likelihood to be able to replace the coin in timely manner, then my comparison of value to other coins of similar rarity, then my cash flow needs, then I arrive at a price.  That price could be 10-20% below pricepedia or 10-100% above pricepedia, it all comes down to my own supply and demand analysis.  For example there are many 1oz NGC MS69 coins I can sell for 10% below pricepedia because I know sellers that I can replace the coins with, while certain 1/2 and 1/4 my prices are 30% above pricepedia, because I know once the coin sells I can't replace it. 

++++1111

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2016, 08:06:13 PM »
Richard:   I do not see any of Feng Yunming's medal sets on your site.      Why do you not list his medal sets?       I understand there are many that consider Feng's medals as private mint junk not official China Mint treasures.     However there are many members on this forum and dealers in China that are actively studying his contributions.    Once there is a book or other publication about him then the tide will turn in his favor.    The only reading we have is Fwang's blog of "Feng Yunming Semi Official..."      After all he is the Grandfather of MCC medals and low mint, new issue medals are popular today.   Does his medal sets fall under the Empire category?   No, they are MCC.    So why not list his medal sets?.......
Also, i emailed many collectors that do not daily read CCF or LBC and told them about your CCL.     They all have very positive comments and say it is long overdue to have a site w/ photos, sales, etc.....    In time i think it will be a game changer as information is right at the click of a mouse for new collectors/investors and constant research of books, online photos etc.. are not as vital.    So far the only complaint is price.....Very good site.....

Offline silberschatzimsee

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2016, 07:42:04 AM »
It doesn't matter what price the dealer or collector paid for the coin, what matters is how much they want for it and whether you think it is a fair price.  I can tell you from experience buyers that are more concerned with the thickness of the seller's wallet, rather than making an objective purchase decision will miss out on many great opportunities to buy undervalued coins.  I pay up to buy coins I need even if the person I am buying them from paid melt to acquire the coin a few hours earlier, it doesn't matter how much money he is making, I just want the coins in my collection or business inventory.

When I price coins I never look at pricepedia, NGC price guide or PCGS price guide, what I look at is recent sales on ebay, Stacks, Heritage and Zhou (just those 4 for good reason, can't say why publicly), then I look at my current replacement cost (not my original acquisition cost) and likelihood to be able to replace the coin in timely manner, then my comparison of value to other coins of similar rarity, then my cash flow needs, then I arrive at a price.  That price could be 10-20% below pricepedia or 10-100% above pricepedia, it all comes down to my own supply and demand analysis.  For example there are many 1oz NGC MS69 coins I can sell for 10% below pricepedia because I know sellers that I can replace the coins with, while certain 1/2 and 1/4 my prices are 30% above pricepedia, because I know once the coin sells I can't replace it. 

Some guys demand phantasyprices and premiums which are not valid or were never achieved before. That was the point 1668chris ranted about and yes maybe my "putting the boot in that inheritance-sale" was a little unfair.

I also dont care how much the dealer paid before as long i get also a fair offer for both sides :)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2016, 09:50:13 AM »
Lol 1668chris does not rant. He just says it like it is!  N38
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2016, 10:17:55 AM »
   ...   Basically I am puzzled at folks that get angry or frustrated at someone,s asking price on a coin, you can do one of 3 things, buy it ,make an offer that you feel is reasonable, or pass  no need to get upset :) I welcome offers on anything I have for sale if I do not want to sell at that price I either counter with my best price or politely say thanks but no thanks.
Dealers (I dont consider myself one at all)   who are reputable have spent a lot of time and money and effort nurturing those connections and relationships that they have outside the mainstream buying Channels. those are relationships that take a long time to build Many dealers have sold coins to customers and routinely buy them back with there customers making a handsome profit . fantasy prices  usually dont sell (au3000):)   I think a lot of frustration in our hobby comes from: when there are big moves in prices and someone see,s a coin go up 200% 300% or whatever in 6 month,s, many folks look at a dealer with a notion that he bought it 6 month,s ago for a super cheap price AND he is trying to Rob me now:)  Not true he is just asking what he believes to be the new market price. Such persons should not get mad what they should have done WAS BUY THE COIN SIX MONTH,S AGO.  it takes nerve and market savvy to keep paying a higher price for something knowing your right and not looking in the rear view mirror saying to yourself I could've paid X  six months ago.... FULL DISCLOSURE : I personally have not mastered that technique:) 

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2016, 11:32:14 AM »
i wish i could master that technique.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2016, 12:14:23 PM »
I "keep on trying" to master that technique!  N17

BTW au3000 unwittingly has set up an important market index.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2016, 12:49:43 PM »
 Yes he has a KOT

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2016, 12:54:21 PM »
Maybe this is a good example of the 3 options........Ebay 142064678877   1989 1/10 Sino Japan You You.      I think they are more rare then they are given credit for but maybe not that rare........  notice seller is not au3000........
jc88888888   any time you deal w/ people and their precious money there is a high probability of conflict as usual, so shake it off and on to the next one....

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2016, 01:47:10 PM »
Maybe this is a good example of the 3 options........Ebay 142064678877   1989 1/10 Sino Japan You You.      I think they are more rare then they are given credit for but maybe not that rare........  notice seller is not au3000........
jc88888888   any time you deal w/ people and their precious money there is a high probability of conflict as usual, so shake it off and on to the next one....

I think the seller hit one too many 8,s :) when listing :)   I know him and have sold him if you look at his other listing,s they are priced decent

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2016, 02:00:32 PM »
Maybe this is a good example of the 3 options........Ebay 142064678877   1989 1/10 Sino Japan You You.      I think they are more rare then they are given credit for but maybe not that rare........  notice seller is not au3000........
jc88888888   any time you deal w/ people and their precious money there is a high probability of conflict as usual, so shake it off and on to the next one....

I think that guy uses multiple eBay IDs, but isn't he the same seller that for a long time took photos of all his Pandas with his wife's cleavage immediately in the background?   
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline ccl

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Chinese Coins Live, LLC.
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2016, 02:56:50 PM »

Richard:   I do not see any of Feng Yunming's medal sets on your site.      Why do you not list his medal sets?       I understand there are many that consider Feng's medals as private mint junk not official China Mint treasures.     However there are many members on this forum and dealers in China that are actively studying his contributions.    Once there is a book or other publication about him then the tide will turn in his favor.    The only reading we have is Fwang's blog of "Feng Yunming Semi Official..."      After all he is the Grandfather of MCC medals and low mint, new issue medals are popular today.   Does his medal sets fall under the Empire category?   No, they are MCC.    So why not list his medal sets?.......
Also, i emailed many collectors that do not daily read CCF or LBC and told them about your CCL.     They all have very positive comments and say it is long overdue to have a site w/ photos, sales, etc.....    In time i think it will be a game changer as information is right at the click of a mouse for new collectors/investors and constant research of books, online photos etc.. are not as vital.    So far the only complaint is price.....Very good site.....
Hello Pandamonium, it is not a stretch and if there is demand from our members, we can begin to bring those in and track their sales. Regarding price, at $19.95 per month, you support a site that gives you 7000-9000 Chinese Coin sales EVERY MONTH that have been organized by type and condition plus all the tools to make sense of them all and find out a realistic price whether you are buying or selling. The Chinese Coins Guide too. There is no annual contract so you can cancel at any time if you are not recouping $20 from buying and selling smarter each month plus tracking the values of your coins. It pays to be in the know and CCL was built to save you time and money. Now you have access to the system that I have depended on and spared no expense on either, that provides unprecedented data and tools. As Birdman said, it's important to still be you, do due diligence, buy what you like etc.. But now, you'll be able to do so with confidence and authority. That's what 220,000+ sales and counting gives you. So, maybe $20 per month might turn out to be a drop in the bucket all things considered.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2016, 04:41:26 PM »
I think that guy uses multiple eBay IDs, but isn't he the same seller that for a long time took photos of all his Pandas with his wife's cleavage immediately in the background?   

He is still doing it. I run across their PCGS panda coins on eBay from time to time. I try to keep my focus and objectivity but at times wonder why it is necessary and if it is worth it.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2016, 05:10:34 PM »
Hello Pandamonium, it is not a stretch and if there is demand from our members, we can begin to bring those in and track their sales. Regarding price, at $19.95 per month, you support a site that gives you 7000-9000 Chinese Coin sales EVERY MONTH that have been organized by type and condition plus all the tools to make sense of them all and find out a realistic price whether you are buying or selling. The Chinese Coins Guide too. There is no annual contract so you can cancel at any time if you are not recouping $20 from buying and selling smarter each month plus tracking the values of your coins. It pays to be in the know and CCL was built to save you time and money. Now you have access to the system that I have depended on and spared no expense on either, that provides unprecedented data and tools. As Birdman said, it's important to still be you, do due diligence, buy what you like etc.. But now, you'll be able to do so with confidence and authority. That's what 220,000+ sales and counting gives you. So, maybe $20 per month might turn out to be a drop in the bucket all things considered.

I do not have a problem w/ price as there are many benefits.     I see this market going up quick at some point so $20 month is very reasonable.   The sticker shock price is the opinion of my fellow small collectors.    I also agree w/ Richard that CCL will bring big money into MCC and if anyone knows it is probably him.    What other choice does big money have?   They all are gold/silver happy now and the best is minted in China.     Even Bill Gross the bond king of Janus Funds or Investments wrote a article to buy gold and assets like land.   He is no longer a bond king but a new gold king.  By the way i emailed Janus Investments this morning and recommended CCF, CCL and LBC.    Think of the cash Bill has and what will happen if he chooses this market.    That is just one hedge fund.     I will repeat my mantra, this MCC market will be a monster.    The only question is when?........

On the price of the 89 You You, i laugh everytime i see the boob shot.   Gotta be creative when the market is slow.....

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2016, 07:34:46 PM »

You did not answer my question about Feng Yunming medals.   Why do you not post his sets on CCL?    His sets are on Huang Ruiyongs medal star list.   Are you in the camp that sees little value in his sets or the camp that highly values his sets?  .........maybe this would be a good topic of discussion.      From what i see and hear, it appears the top collectors are buying his sets quietly before the rest of the market catches on.......somewhat similar situation as the 1988 1oz brass or gilt pandas w/ 200 mintage.....