Author Topic: "Chinese Coins Live." A competiting subscription for pricing research  (Read 18268 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
Another subscription service for pricing information on Chinese coins.  It will be interesting to see how competition will alter this subscription realm.

https://www.chinesecoinslive.com/
https://www.chinesecoinslive.com/about

Their highest level service appears to be $99.95/month ($1200/yr) with data updates every 1-2 days.

Offline Wafdawg

• Trade Count: (+5)
I received an email yesterday about it with a sample PDF.  Do you know who is behind this?

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
I received an email yesterday about it with a sample PDF.  Do you know who is behind this?

Look at the "about" link.  It mentions Richard Blair (Coinex) and translation by Frank Wang

Offline silberschatzimsee

• Trade Count: (0)
For me a casual collector has ~50 different pandas. N20

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Another subscription service for pricing information on Chinese coins.  It will be interesting to see how competition will alter this subscription realm.

Their highest level service appears to be $99.95/month ($1200/yr) with data updates every 1-2 days.

Collector = $19.95/month
Collector+ = $49.95/month
Expert/Expert+ = $99.95/month

Could the top tier service be useful for someone who buys and sells on a coin exchange?
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
Almost 3 x the pricepedia....not sure if it's worth it for a collector.  Just by cross referencing a couple of sources you should be able to determine the market value range.  YJZX, zhaoonline, and any recent stacks or heritage auction should give you enough info.  All this takes is maybe 20 minutes or so.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
It will be interesting to see how competition will alter this subscription realm.

I hope this new service helps grow the level of interest in modern Chinese coins. China Pricepedia will have a new "feature" for subscribers in the next couple of months. It has been in the pipeline for the last half year and should be available in September or October.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline silberschatzimsee

Almost 3 x the pricepedia....not sure if it's worth it for a collector.  Just by cross referencing a couple of sources you should be able to determine the market value range.  YJZX, zhaoonline, and any recent stacks or heritage auction should give you enough info.  All this takes is maybe 20 minutes or so.

Not to forget that your collection portfolio has to generate at least 12*99$ a year that you dont make a loss.

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
The history of the internet has shown that prices for research goes down year after year until it is finally free, with advertising and other services as the primary source of revenue.  

Free research and insight is the best way to bring new collectors into the hobby, CCF is the single best source for information for English speaking collectors and investors.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
Free research and insight is the best way to bring new collectors into the hobby, CCF is the single best source for information for English speaking collectors and investors.

Well stated. I agree completely. +1

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
Re: "Chinese Coins Live." A competiting subscription for pricing research
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 06:04:52 PM »
Richard Blair can't even keep his website updated once monthly, so how is he going to offer a subscription service that delivers accurate pricing every 1-2 days?

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 06:49:20 PM »
It is said that the only ones that made money during the California gold rush were the support services providers!   N33
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline xiaohei99

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 07:34:26 PM »

The fee charged is so high, yet the prices in the sample panda price file are intentionally obscured.

I don't see any use of the sample file, hence I doubt any good services they can provide going forward.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 07:36:06 PM »
The history of the internet has shown that prices for research goes down year after year until it is finally free, with advertising and other services as the primary source of revenue.  

Leaving aside any questions about numismatic information pricing, I don't think that has always worked within specialized areas of knowledge. For instance, I know someone who offers information geared to architects. It is quite expensive. Or, take a look at LexisNexis for legal and financial information: http://www.lexisnexis.com/terms/21/pricing/

I completely agree that this Forum is great and recommend it to everyone!

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Luxor

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 01:16:30 PM »
Hi all,

interesting discussion, indeed. I am a German collector of Chinese coins. In the last ca. 9 months, Richard Blair was so kind, to ask me to test his new service. It was a great pleasure. Maybe later I will write my thoughts about the new service.
But for now, I hope, you all will NOT use this new service ;-) Because the new service gives me a big advantage each day :-)
No joke: The message 24 hours ago, that now the new service is available for everyone was a little shock for me ... But ok, I think, 19-99 Dollar is much money for you all :-) So better you save this money :-) It is not so important, to have all the actual prices ofChinese coins worldwide. Just look on ebay or on old prices.
 :-) That is good enough. Hey, collecting coins, means fun and has nothing to do with earning money ... You like coins, so it doesn´t matter, if you buy expensive or sell cheap. Do not worry about these things, do not worry about actual price trends, changes in prices and so on. Life is too short to worry about such things :-)  By the way: Sorry for my English, I know a good friend of mine is ashamed for my bad English. Greetings to you, Bruno ;-) But as we all know, also with poor English, one can be very successfull in Germany. Example? Remember the famous English spoken speech by our very famous German EU Kommissar Guenther Oettinger:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y18MA5APZI  He translated a well known German proverb  "we are all sitting in one boat". To my mind, this is a nice picture of the actual situation in the Chinese coin market, which is like an ocean: Most collectors and European and American dealers of Chinese coins are sitting together in one sailing boat, hoping for the right wind breeze, looking with their eyes on the horizon and waiting for "land ahoy" :-)   Ok, if you like sailing the old way, that´s fine for you .. BUT:  I prefer to sit in a sailing boat with a 2000 horse power engine hidden backwards and modern GPS Systems and some other interesting features to reach my goal a little bit faster than you will. So, PLEASE, stay out of my boat :-)   Happy collecting, folks and stay away from my boat :-)