Author Topic: 2007 Gold Panda PCGS  (Read 6479 times)

Offline PandaBear23

• Trade Count: (0)
2007 Gold Panda PCGS
« on: July 07, 2016, 11:59:56 AM »
Hi everyone. Just added another Panda to the 1/10 collection and wanted to get opinion before sending payment. This Panda is a 2007 50Yn Gold Panda PCGS 69. Looks good to me but haven't dealt with as many PCGS holders , couldn't resist the price though. Thanks for any comments or info.

Offline PandaBear23

Re: 2007 Gold Panda PCGS
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 12:00:32 PM »
Oops, forget the obverse.

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 01:51:32 PM »
Hi everyone. Just added another Panda to the 1/10 collection and wanted to get opinion before sending payment. This Panda is a 2007 50Yn Gold Panda PCGS 69. Looks good to me but haven't dealt with as many PCGS holders , couldn't resist the price though. Thanks for any comments or info.

I don't really understand what sort of opinion on the coin you are hoping for. Pleas explain what advice/commentary you hope to get by posting those blurry pics. Is the temple side hazy? Hard to tell.

Offline PandaBear23

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 01:57:36 PM »
The case has some light wear from looks of it. These are pics that the seller sent me so just making sure that the holder looks authentic , the seller says there are no copper spots. Usually go with NGC , more than 95% of collection.

Offline PandaBear23

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 02:34:01 PM »
The price was less than $2 bills.

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 03:54:22 PM »
lol.. well.. the coin looks like its very orange and has haze on the fields of the temple, probably the same with the bear side, so the seller is offering a discount. If you are adding to your collection, it shouldn't be a problem. If your question is, is it authentic? I'd say yes it is.

Offline PandaBear23

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 08:02:04 PM »
I am told that it is orange toning and there some fine copper spots on temple. No hazing , that is case.

Offline PandaBear23

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 08:09:39 PM »
Would this still be a decent price even with those conditions despite MS69 grade?

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 08:14:37 PM »
Hard to say without coin in hand. If the seller will offer you a money back guarantee if you are not happy, then you should buy it. The price is very good.

Offline PandaBear23

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 08:19:26 PM »
Thank you Mirkkanen. Well it's on the bay so it has money back guarantee. I just hate to waste a persons time if I wasn't happy with it.

Offline PandaBear23

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 09:53:50 AM »
Quick update. I got the coin in yesterday and just took a look at it with my loupe and the coin was very pleasing to the naked eye but when I used the loupe on the temple side I can see small batches of copper spots and what looks like a whitish looking tone in two small spots. Will take some pics and load them in a moment.

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 10:16:12 AM »
I think you have to make your own assessment.  The coin may have developed spots over time due to either the poor quality of the holder or improper storage or a combination of both.   This happens.  You must weigh the price paid plus any conservation vs returning the coin.  Things are rarely perfect when it comes to MCC.  Some of us accept this.

Offline PandaBear23

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 10:39:34 AM »
here's a pic

Offline PandaBear23

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 10:41:52 AM »
Thank you Chris. I actually just put the coin in one of the coin armour bags to stop any further defects happening.

Total price paid was $195.

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 11:40:33 AM »
that's a good price, so its up to you if the condition is acceptable.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 12:24:49 PM »
Thank you Chris. I actually just put the coin in one of the coin armour bags to stop any further defects happening.

Total price paid was $195.

$195 for MS69 2007 1/10oz gold panda coin seems to be a good deal and you may grow to love your coin, spots and all!

But it depends on why you bought it e.g. Collection vs Flipping. Gold coin surface deterioration seems to be more benign than that of silver. In which case you can place it in coin armor bags for storage. At a later date (when you have accumulated more coins to reduce the cost of mailing an individual coin) you could send it for conservation and reholdering but verify before hand if they can guarantee the grade (controversial).

From what everyone is saying it seems they will support you if you decide to keep or return the coin.

Best wishes.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 12:31:02 PM »
Hey Pandabear23, I'm just going off what I see on the reverse of the coin, until you post a closeup of the obverse, but I don't see anything in that photo that can't be removed with 10 seconds of intense heat, which means that that coin should come out of conservation looking superb - that should be an easy one for NCS, should you decide you send it off.   And conservation or no, $195 is a good price - only $60 or so above melt.  Your downside risk is only about the cost of dinner for two at Outback.  I'd probably keep that one if it were me (copper spots don't bother me).
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 01:30:08 PM »
If it makes you feel better, check this one out...

This is a coin I will probably never unseal, and never perform conservation on.   It's just too cool looking - like it was found at a crime scene, covered in blood splatter.  It doesn't have dozens of copper spots, it has hundreds if not thousands!   As KeeponTrying pointed out, they're not like milk spots on a silver coin - copper spots are pretty benign.  Don't let them bother you too much or scare you away from an otherwise nice coin.

Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 01:31:52 PM »
If it makes you feel better, check this one out...

This is a coin I will probably never unseal, and never perform conservation on.   It's just too cool looking - like it was found at a crime scene, covered in blood splatter.  It doesn't have dozens of copper spots, it has hundreds if not thousands!   As KeeponTrying pointed out, they're not like milk spots on a silver coin - copper spots are pretty benign.  Don't let them bother you too much or scare you away from an otherwise nice coin.

I'll give you spot for it..  N25  N33

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 03:18:41 PM »
1990 gold panda,s  always have lots of cool copper spots  they never deter me from a great looking coin like that one!!  that is 69/70 material there!!

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 07:18:39 PM »
I'll give you spot for it..  N25  N33

You have just made my day!!  That's exactly what I was hoping for - that someone would come along, like a knight in shining armor, and do the impossible and offer me spot for an OMP panda!   Let's do this, you send me $1333.60 cash in an envelope - that's spot at this very moment - and then go wait by the mailbox and the coin will be there any day.  Just wait until you open the box, you're going to be so surprised and full of emotions...
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 07:33:27 PM »
You have just made my day!!  That's exactly what I was hoping for - that someone would come along, like a knight in shining armor, and do the impossible and offer me spot for an OMP panda!   Let's do this, you send me $1333.60 cash in an envelope - that's spot at this very moment - and then go wait by the mailbox and the coin will be there any day.  Just wait until you open the box, you're going to be so surprised and full of emotions...

If I didn't, someone had to do it! ;)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 09:21:58 PM »

I have a feeling you will never sell this coin. Too full of character and therefore priceless!  :thumbup1:
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 10:29:09 PM »

I can make you a more serious offer is the coin for sale??

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 11:39:15 PM »
If I didn't, someone had to do it! ;)

You mean you're not sending me $1333.60 in an envelope?!   Does this mean you're also not out standing by your mailbox?  :-)

I can make you a more serious offer is the coin for sale??

Thanks for the offer, but it's not for sale at this time.   Just wanted the OP to see that there could be beauty in copper spots!    But I do appreciate it.  When the day comes to sell it, I'll sell it as-is.  The rest of my collection will eventually end up in slabs, but that one I'm preserving as is.

To the OP - didn't mean to hijack your thread, hope you feel good about your own purchase of that 2007 - I think you did ok on that, sounds like the rest of the group does too.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline PandaBear23

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2016, 01:10:28 PM »
Thank you everybody for your great feedback. I'm a bit ocd and haven't really been bothered by copper spots in the past on some of my OMP pandas but was a little thrown with those more chromey whitish looking spots. With 1998 Gold Panda set I got for $3425 cash  in 2011 there were a ton of copper spots on the temple sides of the 1/2 small date and 1/4 large date. The LD 1/4 got NCS conserved and MS69 and the SD 1/2 conserved and MS68. I of course want value in my collection and numismatic interest but at this time am not a flipper. A true collector who enjoys taking the Pandas out of the zoo at least once a week and enjoying the collection.

jc8888888888, no problem my friend. I liked reading what you had to say anyways. Yes, I feel I did ok too now and the actual coin looks great overall , it's just the toning/spots nothing a little NCS can't handle if ever decided to do so.

If anyone is interested I'd like to post a couple pics on here of a 1996 1/2 SD Gold Panda MS64 to see if it may be wise to try for a higher grade.

Offline PandaBear23

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2016, 02:21:53 PM »
Thank you Honus. Appreciate all the feedback. Gonna keep it and enjoy another Panda in the zoo.